New puppy or not

Thanks everyone.

Have decided not to get the puppy yet...heart and head were at odds with each other. Thanks for talking some sense into me. Tim nearly persuaded me with such a gorgeous puppy - sooo cute.

Tim and Jim - you both have such gorgeous dogs.

Meet FatGuts As Well

Attachments

• 107.jpg
    107.jpg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 54
I don't think it's possible to answer 'should we get a puppy' with a no... :)

My wife and I have a 14yr old Collie X Kelpie, he's getting pretty old and we considered getting him a little friend to keep him busy, but I have a feeling it would be more straining on him than anything.

My Border Collie is 6, but she is already acting like an old girl.

If your dog is loyal, loves you, and is older, I think a second dog might break their heart a little. All of the sudden the attention and sneaky spot on the couch/bed is shared or gone because there is no room for two. Think ill let her enjoy all her years left, then buy two puppies at once.... and plenty of patience.

I blame Tim for the gorgeous pic of his puppy....

I bought a puppy this morning :D

She comes home in a few weeks.

Attachments

• New puppy.jpg
    New puppy.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 70
I've got a ten yr old and one yr old dog. My older dog enjoys being a pup again but it becomes a bit much so I set boundaries on my pup. I be stern with him and give my older dog areas that she can go to but pup can't - does help though my older dog is as big as pups head! :D

We have an 8 yo German shepherd and a younger, smaller dog we rescued. Now that the German shepherd is getting older and slower, I have to protect him when he gets bossed around and attacked by his little brother. I wouldn't get another dog with an old dog in the house. They need a bit more attention and protection than a healthy young dog.

I thought about it quite a lot. I changed my mind a million times.

We have a large tiled family room where the puppy will spend a lot of her time. She can mix with the older dog in this room as its where the humans will be. Off this room is my sons bedroom where our older dog currently spends a lot of her time. We are not going to let the puppy go in there (initially at least).

We are also going to temporarily have a small 'puppy run' in the family room so the puppy also has its own safe space away from the older dog.

I'm going to take the first few weeks off work so she settles in. Someone is home most of the time anyway.

Our older dog is really missing her feline friend. She was out with us the other day and wandered into one of our neighbours yards to say hello to their cat - the cat ran and our dog sat there whimpering. I think she will like the puppy, but if not, we have some safe space for her and will lavish her with attention.

I thought about it quite a lot. I changed my mind a million times.

We have a large tiled family room where the puppy will spend a lot of her time. She can mix with the older dog in this room as its where the humans will be. Off this room is my sons bedroom where our older dog currently spends a lot of her time. We are not going to let the puppy go in there (initially at least).

We are also going to temporarily have a small 'puppy run' in the family room so the puppy also has its own safe space away from the older dog.

I'm going to take the first few weeks off work so she settles in. Someone is home most of the time anyway.

Our older dog is really missing her feline friend. She was out with us the other day and wandered into one of our neighbours yards to say hello to their cat - the cat ran and our dog sat there whimpering. I think she will like the puppy, but if not, we have some safe space for her and will lavish her with attention.

So how 'bout go out and rescue a kitten now? :)

I was an anti-cat person too, before we got a cat. Then we adopted and I became a cat and a dog person. Admittedly, some cats are standoffish and do their own thing. We got a Russian blue--I think the most affectionate cat on the planet--he would rush up to sit on visitors' laps. Everybody loved him. He died of cancer. Perhaps you just need to find an affectionate breed of cat and then your husband will like cats.

Why, because he doesn't want a cat?

Practically Hitler re-incarnate, hey.

haha not really that - just the implication in Australian culture that it's acceptable to hate a whole species without getting to know them or try to understand why so many others like them.
This couple kept their cat and it probably had a great life with a dog for a best friend.
Now the dog misses the cat.
I also grew up loving dogs and was taught to 'hate' cats. Then I noticed people I liked also liked cats so thought I'd try it and guess what....!!

haha not really that - just the implication in Australian culture that it's acceptable to hate a whole species without getting to know them or try to understand why so many others like them.
This couple kept their cat and it probably had a great life with a dog for a best friend.
Now the dog misses the cat.
I also grew up loving dogs and was taught to 'hate' cats. Then I noticed people I liked also liked cats so thought I'd try it and guess what....!!

He had 10 years to like the cat - he just isnt a cat person. Nothing wrong with that. The cat was very affectionate - buying a different breed of cat isnt going to work. He just doesn't like cats.

The cat was very well loved by the rest of the family, particularly my son who was absolutely devastated when he died.

Attachments

• Sophie and Nemo.jpg
    Sophie and Nemo.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Sophie and Nemo 3.jpg
    Sophie and Nemo 3.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 47
Back