New WA Residential Design Codes are out! (effective 2nd Aug)

Myf, Let's assume I don't know anything about granny flats or r-codes or building approvals or anythng. (because that is the case)

And let's also assume I owned an IP in Clarkson which is R20, 550ish m2, and has an existing 120ish m2 building on it. There's a big rectangular back yard, and ample side access.

Do I have any options to drop a 60-70m2 granny flat in the back yard and rent it out separately?

Yes pretty much.
It doesn't have to be R20 but they would be most targeted as you can't subdivide traditionally.
My interpretation is that you need to supply the GF with R20 code ammenities so one parking bay (or carport/garage) and a dedicated courtyard which is 24 sqm (min 4m depth). And side setbacks would be R20 too.
The parking bay doesn't need to be with the GF it could be out the front with the front house parking.

This paint sketch is even lazier than you think, considering I'm a drafty and could have done it all to scale and stuff, but hey, it's friday...

In theory, who would I contact/pay to advise me/get approvals/buidl this in WA. In theory...

hHe7GR1.jpg

Keep in mind that the front residence also has to have it's ammenities too - so make sure it's got a 24sqm courtyard that is not more than 2/3 covered - you might need to take down some pergola - and it needs it's own parking too.

Aaron might need to set himself up designing GFs :) They are after all just an apartment which he does very well ;)

I would build it single brick or even eastern states style and rendered. No need to go brick internal walls - you need to maximise as much space as possible

Keep in mind that the front residence also has to have it's ammenities too - so make sure it's got a 24sqm courtyard that is not more than 2/3 covered - you might need to take down some pergola - and it needs it's own parking too.

Aaron might need to set himself up designing GFs :) They are after all just an apartment which he does very well ;)

I would build it single brick or even eastern states style and rendered. No need to go brick internal walls - you need to maximise as much space as possible

There is a single carport under the main roof on the left. Would be happy to drop the pergola to make it work.

Aaron, is this a service you'd be interested in providing for me? Should I call you in a few months? (Err, after I miraculously come up with finance...)

Interpretation time peeps.

Am I right that I could do a GF on half a duplex block if that block is more than 450?

There are some older style duplexes in my area which are on 450-550sqm blocks - simple 2 x 1s of the 60/70s era which have quite a bit of land left over.

Example http://www.realestate.com.au/property-duplex+semi+detached-wa-gwelup-113887123

The area on the side is roughly 160 sqm - I wonder if I could put a GF on it :) Note I don't know how big the block is at the moment so I don't know if it's over 450.

I've been thinking alOng those lines also. I looked at a back house a couple of days ago. There wasn't enough room though. It needed a big clean up. I almost threw up when I started having a second look through. I'm not too sure if I need to toughen up.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to put an upmarket granny flat at the front of my Ashfield devt as existing house is set so far back. I ran it past an employee at Ventura a couple of days ago. He just gave me a funny look. I haven't got around to reading new r codes and new tenancy laws yet. Will give me something to do over weekend.

Interpretation time peeps.

Am I right that I could do a GF on half a duplex block if that block is more than 450?

There are some older style duplexes in my area which are on 450-550sqm blocks - simple 2 x 1s of the 60/70s era which have quite a bit of land left over.

Example http://www.realestate.com.au/property-duplex+semi+detached-wa-gwelup-113887123

The area on the side is roughly 160 sqm - I wonder if I could put a GF on it :) Note I don't know how big the block is at the moment so I don't know if it's over 450.

I'd say probably not.

It's already a duplex?

I'd say probably not.

It's already a duplex?

Rod - why do you think so?

I think I can (but I might be wrong) as it says

Ancillary House associated with a single house and on the same lot where:
i. the lot is not less than 450m2 in area;
ii. there is a maximum plot ratio area of 70m2;
iii. parking provided in accordance with clause 5.3.3 C3.1; and
iv. complies with all other R-Code provisions, only as they apply to single houses, with the exception of clauses:
(a) 5.1.1 Site area;
(b) 5.2.3 Street surveillance (except where located on a lot with secondary
street or right-of-way access); and
(c) 5.3.1 Outdoor living areas.

The definition of a Single house in the R codes is
A dwelling standing wholly on its own green title or survey strata lot, together with any easement over adjoining land for support of a wall or for access or services and excludes dwellings on titles with areas held in common property.

So that reads to me that I can put a GF on a green title or survey strata.

Next Question for clarification
Note I did misread the bit about Outdoor Living Areas - it says that clause is excepted. Does that mean it doesn't have to have any courtyard?

So that reads to me that I can put a GF on a green title or survey strata.

That's how I read it, and as long as the survey strata doesn't have any CP.

The problem is, a lot of those older duplexes are old built strata titles still, or otherwise CP on the strata plan. At the very least they would need to be re-strata'd into wholly separate lots.

Next Question for clarification
Note I did misread the bit about Outdoor Living Areas - it says that clause is excepted. Does that mean it doesn't have to have any courtyard?

Thats how I read it.

The problem is, a lot of those older duplexes are old built strata titles still, or otherwise CP on the strata plan. At the very least they would need to be re-strata'd into wholly separate lots.

That's what I was thinking.

Looks old so would need to be re-strata into separate lots.

Might get messy with the neighbour depending on their views and strata company voting rights, fire ratings etc.

But it could be done, just maybe not as simple.

survey strata without CP or green title is a single house.

by that definition, yes, you could as long as any common walls / roofs were only common to sharing a boundary, not common as in reliant on each other.

it may end up being defined as a residential building, instead of a dwelling.

just trying to play devils advocate. because I like your thinking.

New res codes

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newie to the forum as well although I have been following it for a while doing my research - What a great learning resource it is! Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, they are priceless.

I am looking at an 875m2 block in Scarborough, WA zoned R30 - surprisingly the house is a real cutie - Double brick, high ceilings etc. Its old but could be really nice so I'm looking to keep it.

It seems I can get 2 titles, either battle axe or the common property grouped dwelling down the back keep the front house quite easily, but I was just wondering about the one bedroom rules...

Its an odd shaped block that has a wide street frontage, and the new res code says that one bedroom units are now considered the same as over 55's units - is that a block of 100m2 minimum? Could I make 3 separate lots this way? Or have I missed something?

I could always do the granny flat rather than making another separate lot, but I really like the idea of the one bed villa.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newie to the forum as well although I have been following it for a while doing my research - What a great learning resource it is! Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, they are priceless.

I am looking at an 875m2 block in Scarborough, WA zoned R30 - surprisingly the house is a real cutie - Double brick, high ceilings etc. Its old but could be really nice so I'm looking to keep it.

It seems I can get 2 titles, either battle axe or the common property grouped dwelling down the back keep the front house quite easily, but I was just wondering about the one bedroom rules...

Its an odd shaped block that has a wide street frontage, and the new res code says that one bedroom units are now considered the same as over 55's units - is that a block of 100m2 minimum? Could I make 3 separate lots this way? Or have I missed something?

I could always do the granny flat rather than making another separate lot, but I really like the idea of the one bed villa.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I didn't see anything in the R codes about that - happy to be wrong though. Aged persons can have a plot ratio of 100m2 but that is referring to the size of the dwelling not the block.
Single person dwellings are allowed to have 1/3rd less sized blocks. So R30 blocks are to be min 260 and avg 300. So you could build them on lots of 172sqm on yours. If you have 343sqm in the back or side garden of your house then you could put two.

Of course! Dwelling size not lot size! Idiot. Thanks Westminster, I've been reading way too much Res Code!:roll eyes:

I've been doing a bit more thinking, and it is a bit of a weird shaped block, so I may be able to go for the 5% less area on the back two plots and subdivide as I've sketched out in the attached plan. At 875m2 it is so close to being 3!

In its current format, there is a 3.5m wide driveway for the back, which has a small one bed lot, and a minimum size lot. If the front block is 460m2 I could get a granny flat on there as well (possibly). The front would have its own driveway. I could take a few more metres off and add to the others...

Obviously I haven't started thinking about setbacks or open space reqs or anything so it may not work at all, but as a subdivision of lots under the laws does it work? I guess I'm subdividing a battle-axe shape - I don't even know if this is possible, or if it would be easier just to cut the site in half and build something else on the back, like a 3x2 or similar.

Or do as westminster suggested and put 2 x 1 beds down the back

Again, the advice/ideas are very much appreciated!

Attachments

• subdivision ideas ID.pdf
    38.9 KB · Views: 128
I also forgot to ask - I've added 50% of the driveway area to each lot down the back to get the lot size in the brackets. Is this right?

Back