New WA Residential Design Codes are out! (effective 2nd Aug)

Of course! Dwelling size not lot size! Idiot. Thanks Westminster, I've been reading way too much Res Code!:roll eyes:

I've been doing a bit more thinking, and it is a bit of a weird shaped block, so I may be able to go for the 5% less area on the back two plots and subdivide as I've sketched out in the attached plan. At 875m2 it is so close to being 3!

In its current format, there is a 3.5m wide driveway for the back, which has a small one bed lot, and a minimum size lot. If the front block is 460m2 I could get a granny flat on there as well (possibly). The front would have its own driveway. I could take a few more metres off and add to the others...

Obviously I haven't started thinking about setbacks or open space reqs or anything so it may not work at all, but as a subdivision of lots under the laws does it work? I guess I'm subdividing a battle-axe shape - I don't even know if this is possible, or if it would be easier just to cut the site in half and build something else on the back, like a 3x2 or similar.

Or do as westminster suggested and put 2 x 1 beds down the back

Again, the advice/ideas are very much appreciated!

It will still have to meet the average lot size requirements. Ie 300m2 x3 so 900m2 lot. But not sure if 5% variation can apply to average or only to the minimum lot sizes.

Cheers

nothing at all, but it's still tight.

I can put a 3x2 in 90sqm but it ain't pretty, my 100sqm designs constantly achieve much higher sales and valuation prices.

you can do three lots and maintain your 40% open space, I don't think a triplex is an underutilisation of the R60 zoning.

and I gotta be honest, it really is only a triplex site after common driveway is removed.

I can't imagine valuers being too kind on blocks in the 'wheen under 200sqm.

but then, why not do 4 or 5 three bed apartments? depends on your budget, I guess.

was thinking 3x1 for a villa - i guess I have a while to think about it

How much will the house in Girrawheen rent for? I find myself wondering if investors would be better off purchasing 3 off these for about $260,000 more inc stamp duty. (rough calculation) they would rent for about $480-$490/wk.
Advantages
-instant rent/possibly higher rent - could buy next property sooner
- don't need To beg bank for dev't funds
- can improve
- no devt headaches and decisions
- half distance to city
- lower feral factor
- about same land size but should appreciate more
Disadvantages
- you don't own whole complex so have to deal with b/c/other owners
- could be a good hands on developing learning experience
- less depreciation although if you don't hold long term negligible
Possibilities
- it may not be profitable to develop now but be profitable after next cycle

I am wondering if a whole heap of dev sites in cheaper areas are going to flood the market next downturn when aspiring young developers realise developing isn't profitable.

How much will the house in Girrawheen rent for? I find myself wondering if investors would be better off purchasing 3 off these for about $260,000 more inc stamp duty. (rough calculation) they would rent for about $480-$490/wk.
Advantages
- can improve
- half distance to city
- lower feral factor
Disadvantages
Possibilities

I am wondering if a whole heap of dev sites in cheaper areas are going to flood the market next downturn when aspiring young developers realise developing isn't profitable.

i dont follow the first part of this post - $260k extra for what, and where?

rent for the house i bought in girrawheen at the moment would be about 380 per week. rent for three villas in three years time? who knows, a lot can happen in three years.

closer to the city doesnt necessarily make it any less feral, i offer parts of maylands, leederville, wembley etc as examples.

I'm pretty happy either way its a big block still reasonably close to town for less than 365

Last edited:
firstly that is west leederville, separated by a big 6 or 8 lane freeway from leederville.

secondly, in no way is that anything like girrawheen.

i live in leederville and am in girrawheen fairly regularly. the 2 are in no way alike in terms of feral element

i dont really care - but i remember the areas around cambridge street to be pretty ordinary, especially the flats right at the start.

i am under no illusions about what girrawheen, balga and those sort of areas are like - but they generally change over a longish period of time.

Advantages
- can improve
- half distance to city
- lower feral factor
Disadvantages
Possibilities

Oops - I forgot to put link in!
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-wa-yokine-114134183
All up I'm thinking it would cost about $1,000,000 to build 3 - 3x2's in Girrawheen. Stamp duty, demolition, interest, lanscape etc correct me if I'm wrong.
Or for about $260,000 you could by 3 3x1 villas at yokine. I'm not sure what villas in Westminster would rent for, will take a look in a tick but I think Yokine would outperform Westminster long term with growth. I know a 3x1 sold for $408,000 and rented for $490/wk a few months ago that was partly reno'd

Last edited:
was thinking 3x1 for a villa - i guess I have a while to think about it

About 3 years:p

Who knows what the price of units will sell for at this time?? I am guessing that they will continue to rise.

Most blocks in Girrawheen around 692 sqm and when I purchased the builder I contacted advised that it would not be possible to build 3 villas on this size block.

There have been a few larger blocks that have come on the market. One recently sold for $429,000 Girrawheen Ave it was around 774 sqm, house was a little run down but certainly could build 3 units/villas.

Oops - I forgot to put link in!
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-wa-yokine-114134183
All up I'm thinking it would cost about $1,000,000 to build 3 - 3x2's in Girrawheen. Stamp duty, demolition, interest, lanscape etc correct me if I'm wrong.
Or for about $260,000 you could by 3 3x1 villas at yokine. I'm not sure what villas in Westminster would rent for, will take a look in a tick but I think Yokine would outperform Westminster long term with growth. I know a 3x1 sold for $408,000 and rented for $490/wk a few months ago that was partly reno'd

This link is a townhouse and its over 400k

About 3 years:p

Who knows what the price of units will sell for at this time?? I am guessing that they will continue to rise.

Most blocks in Girrawheen around 692 sqm and when I purchased the builder I contacted advised that it would not be possible to build 3 villas on this size block.

There have been a few larger blocks that have come on the market. One recently sold for $429,000 Girrawheen Ave it was around 774 sqm, house was a little run down but certainly could build 3 units/villas.

Agree I am not worried about it even two houses if it came to it
h

Agree I am not worried about it even two houses if it came to it
h

You bought a development site and youre not worried if you have to put 2 instead of 3 on there?

At 2 you would be struggling to get your money back imo and any profit would be miniscule.

each lot will cost you around 230-250k by the time all costs are considered, you would need to sell each well over 500k to make a fair profit and i dont see that happening in girrawheen-

You bought a development site and youre not worried if you have to put 2 instead of 3 on there?

At 2 you would be struggling to get your money back imo and any profit would be miniscule.

each lot will cost you around 230-250k by the time all costs are considered, you would need to sell each well over 500k to make a fair profit and i dont see that happening in girrawheen-

You can build a house for a lot less than that I've already got prices for site clearing etc. thanks for the advice sanj

I think youve misunderstood my post. Im saying if you pay 400k or close to it by the time you factor all costs in it will cost you close to 500k for 2 lots. Even if you build for 180k turnkey you still will need well over 500k for each to make a decent profit.

Ill leave you to it anyway.

I think youve misunderstood my post. Im saying if you pay 400k or close to it by the time you factor all costs in it will cost you close to 500k for 2 lots. Even if you build for 180k turnkey you still will need well over 500k for each to make a decent profit.

Ill leave you to it anyway.

I do appreciate your advice. I am new to this which is why I'm here. The way I look at it if I contribute minimal cash to get it started and rent the house it a few year paying p an I it probably wouldn't be a bad return on my initial investment or am I looking at it the wrong way?

Back