Next Interest Rate Movement down?

I personally do not support the buy Australian or fly Australian concept...that is being stupidly parochial. If we imported food from overseas they would be cheaper and people like pensioners would get better food. Instead we see lobby groups like the farmers and others create fear about buying overseas produced. Why pay $30 a kilo for Barramundi from WA when you pay $15 for the ones from Taiwan!

If this continues we are going to price ourselves out...and then we are really going to have a huge recession!

We Australians seem to be sheep happy to be led by idiot policians. Instread the dipsticks focus on immigration and law order...when the real problem is the day to day bills for many.

i totally agree with you. Everything cost heaps in autsralia. they just keep pushing the prices up for everything. too much red tape and legislation. The building industry is for one of the prime examples. Followed by consumer products.

No, I got $0. Income was too high. Cutoff for $0 was above $100K/yr. So no inflationary pressure from me there.
complain.

hmmm not taking part in this argument but Bluestorm I think you got ripped off. There was definately no means test for that $900 handout. Heck the deceased had received it!

TLP

hmmm not taking part in this argument but Bluestorm I think you got ripped off. There was definately no means test for that $900 handout. Heck the deceased had received it!

TLP

Oh yes there was:

Are you eligible for the stimulus package cash bonuses?

How much is the bonus?

A $900 bonus will be paid to taxpayers with taxable income up to and including $80,000.

A $600 bonus will be paid to taxpayers with income exceeding $80,000 to $90,000.

A $250 bonus will be paid to taxpayers with income exceeding $90,000 to and including $100,000.

I think sash is on the money... I did not realise how different things were in the non-mining economy until I relocated to Sydney.

The pain in the non-mining sector is pretty evident! I walked into my local shopping center to do my grocery shopping and there was a table with genuine leather belts supposedly discounted by 80% down to $3! I asked the sales guy why so cheap, his response was, "things have been really quiet, just trying to drum things up". This is a theme occuring everywhere in retail as they aggressively slash prices in attempt to boost sales on their books.

I have a friend who works in retail and says it's absolutely **** at the moment. DJ's profit downgrade only reaffirms.

Things are different now to how they have been the last 100 years with falling commodity prices... the RBA have supposedly been able to control inflation with rate rises, but how are they going to control inflation when they can't control commodity prices?

The RBA can't hold down the prices of oil, electricity or energy or any other commodities.. these are going to impact on our cost of living. Inflation is going to run rampant over the next decade, no doubt... so tell me how increasing interest rates are going to help us deal with the increases costs of living? There is a huge shock coming from increases living costs.

The RBA can't hold down the prices of oil, electricity or energy or any other commodities.. these are going to impact on our cost of living. Inflation is going to run rampant over the next decade, no doubt... so tell me how increasing interest rates are going to help us deal with the increases costs of living? There is a huge shock coming from increases living costs.

So you agree with Sash that rates are heading down, but in the same breath say that inflation is going to run rampant.:confused:
If inflation rises, the RBA will have no choice but to try and contain it, which it will do with interest rate rises.

Bon - are you trying to say if inflation exceeds 3%, the RBA will leave it unchecked?

I don't know what's scarier - inflation or high costs of living. Actually I do - the former.

Yeah. I know it's paradoxical.

Unfortunately the RBA can't do much to control inflation by levering interest rates when it's commodity prices that are pushing inflation up... If oil goes to $200/barrel and we pay more for our energy, transport and food, how does rising interest rates help us? It doesn't, it only hurts us more as we struggle to keep up with the increased costs of living.. I'm sure if you were to graph how our disposable income was being spent, you'd see more and more of it being allocated to essentials such as transport, energy and food, less of it being spent on life's luxuries.

It's been easy to control inflation with the lever of interest rates when commodity prices have been in a downtrend, but the RBA's model is so ****ing broken in this situation it's not funny. There is a very good chance they could cripple the non-mining sector of the economy and we'll have one part of the economy in a recession while another is booming.

The Government knows it too of course, but they're not telling the truth... extra taxes on the mining sector is just beyond a joke considering how small a percentage of our GDP it actually makes up, especially in comparison to the banking & financial services sector! Why not super taxes for banks and finance?

The Government are skirting around the real underlying issue at hand.. probably why they are making up all these ******** taxes for the mining economy, to try and slow them down to keep the non-mining sector alive and out of a recession.

Down or Up ?

Its lovely to see how many opinions there are on future rate hikes or declines. A couple of days ago there was something like a 30 per cent chance of a RBA rate deduction during the rest of this year.

Only two weeks ago one respected financial source reported that Australia’s GDP could rise by March quarter next year to a whopping 6.2 per cent. While that would be good for our patchwork economy it would likely lead to one or perhaps more rate increases.

However, since then there has been more uncertainty in the US, Greece, Spain and Italy and a carbon tax here, but no cyclones, floods or earthquakes. So, let’s see what next week brings.:)

For the property armageddonistas, this must be devastating news.

No, like I said, rates down or up won't matter. Rates Up and property will correct, as there are also other cost of living expenses impacting peoples borrowing power. Rates down from a low 4.75%, and it means the economy is in real trouble, and property will correct.

Westpac changes tack: rates to fall

Westpac has become the first major bank to predict a rate cut instead of a rate rise over the next year.

The Reserve Bank will cut the interest rate four times in 2012 to avoid hurting an economy that is already showing signs of contraction, Westpac said today.

If they do need to drop to 3.75%, then the economy is really messed up. No stimulus package this time to save property.

Anyway, who relies on the RBA and economist experts for information anyway? Apparently the Somersofters do, as they keep saying why listen to the D&G when I can listen to the "experts" who know better. The experts keep changing their opinion quicker than the direction of the wind. I'm sure they will be surprised when Australia heads into recession as well, when all along they have been predicting a boom.:rolleyes:

Sorry, back in Dec 2012 after the carnage the next 17mths.

Last edited:
He's back. How may hours was that ?

Last time they dropped the rates and added other stimulas and it worked.
Why shouldn't it work this time. We are not talking a boom here. Just a floor.

He's back. How may hours was that ?

Last time they dropped the rates and added other stimulas and it worked.
Why shouldn't it work this time. We are not talking a boom here. Just a floor.

BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT DOESNT HAVE THE MONEY TO DO IT AGAIN.

The kitty has already been spent.

Of course lowering interest rates will act as a cushion, it will also help in lowering the AU$ which will act as a further cushion.

But will this be sufficient??????

a 1% interest reduction for someone on a 500k PPOR mortgage is a $417 after tax increase in their disposable income. Given that consumer spending accounts for ~60% of our economy, then this theoretical household is spending an additional $250 per month. No small dice when applied more generally.

However, I still don't think we are quite at the point where we will be getting 4 x 0.25% reduction of IR's in 2012. My cashflow would be very appreciative of it however. :)

Interest rate expectation graph suggests 2 x 25 basis points falls in RBA rate over next 12 months.

Attachments

• Interest rate expectation graph 15 July 2011.pdf
    7.5 KB · Views: 109
No, like I said, rates down or up won't matter. Rates Up and property will correct, as there are also other cost of living expenses impacting peoples borrowing power. Rates down from a low 4.75%, and it means the economy is in real trouble, and property will correct.

Westpac changes tack: rates to fall

If they do need to drop to 3.75%, then the economy is really messed up. No stimulus package this time to save property.

Anyway, who relies on the RBA and economist experts for information anyway? Apparently the Somersofters do, as they keep saying why listen to the D&G when I can listen to the "experts" who know better. The experts keep changing their opinion quicker than the direction of the wind. I'm sure they will be surprised when Australia heads into recession as well, when all along they have been predicting a boom.:rolleyes:

Sorry, back in Dec 2012 after the carnage the next 17mths.
You may be right,Economists only see it the way the numbers are in a set time frame,but anyone with their eyes wide open may see a different picture,but long term just print more money,,btw why walk away till dec without different opinions we would all be just sheep..

Back