Online Dating

Also I'm gonna cop flack for this comment but I think prettier people on average have far worse personalities

I respectfully disagree with you. Its a generalisation. You will get pretty people who have crap personalities and fuglies with crap personalities (and vice versa). Im not sure looks and personality go hand in hand.

When I was doing the interweb dating thing, I used to try and come up with the most random "dates" possible. I figured that most girls who had been on a interweb date had been through the "routine" - coffee/dinner. "what do you do" where do you live" "whats your fav movie/music/sex position...". So I figured something different might work. Some worked some didnt.

Taking a young, very pretty law firm receptionest (think barbie doll type) camping on the south coast for the weekend didnt go well. The fact it was cold and raining didnt help. She complained so much in the first 15mins of getting there, I gave up and went diving all weekend - I had a great time - She thought it was the "worst weekend ever - I will never get this dirt out of my hair". It was pretty obvious it wasnt going to work between us. Some people would get dishartened I just thought it was bloody funny. I did feel sorry for her for a bit... but I got over it :D

Doesnt have to be flashy - just different. I figured random stuff was a better way of letting them see my lifestyle and personality than a stale date in a fancy resturant.

Funiest story I had was my friend (female) who was invited to "lunch". She was thinking something nice... he was thinking something casual. Its the first (and last) time she has ever worn a skirt and high heals to a Red Rooster (her date was in fluros)... :D

You can lose and gain money easy
Beauty you cannot unless you get hit by a bus

Unless you pack on a few kilos.
Unless you 'let yourself go'.
Unless you stop grooming.
Unless you drink too much, smoke too much or take too many drugs.
Unless you suffer an illness.
Unless you dress in an unflattering manner.
Unless you neglect dental care.
Unless you happen to just 'lose it' (think beautiful children who grow into soso adults).
Unless you go prematurely bald.
Unless you happen to grow old (this, I've heard, happens to everyone).

Then, yes, beauty cannot be lost.

Last edited:
Funiest story I had was my friend (female) who was invited to "lunch". She was thinking something nice... he was thinking something casual. Its the first (and last) time she has ever worn a skirt and high heals to a Red Rooster (her date was in fluros)... :D

I had a date once who went to the toilet and then did a runner.

I'm sure this must happen very occasionally when the person is not happy with the date, but in my case I think it had more to do with me introducing him to my boyfriend :eek:.

I know... I was young and naive.

Poor guy :eek:.

from my experience on rsvp, with women over 40yo:

- it's like walking into a nightclub. there's all sorts, and you'll have similar values to only a few, depending how conventional you are. As others have said it is a numbers game, and you need filters so as not waste your time, energy, money. Based on this, it is quite natural to be rejected 9 out of 10 times, until you refine filters. examples of filters - women who say 'I love the outdoors, going to gym everyday, and looking after myself', and not much else, are unlikely to be into high brow theatre and classical music. When reading a profile, take note of what is said, but more importantly what is not. If a profile doesn't immediately have several points of resonance, then don't let the photos suck you in.

- the written profile...
spelling mistakes, poor grammar, limited vocab, inability to write easily are deal breakers for many women.
Use a spell checker, and have a savvy friend or two read your profile.
Don't use stock catch phrases that are common to lots of other profiles.
Don't say much about past relationships. women want you living in the now focused on the future, having processed and learned from your past and moved your emotions on.

- women really do just want to have fun and be happy. so a sense of humor and light nature is appealing. Be careful not to come across rigid and narrow minded. There's no need to focus on or list what you don't like. You can communicate that by putting in what you do like...it makes you sound like a more positive person to not list out negatives.

- Women are attracted to someone who knows themself well and are self confident but don't have an arrogant or superior manner.

If a woman's appearance and physicality are important to you, and you are overweight and unhealthy, you are grossly unrealistic. get your health sorted. More often than not, lifestyle correctable health issues are indicative of poor self discipline and character, and a general sense of directionlessness in life.

Yes women lie on profiles, as do men. And they will attempt to discover your financial status, subtly or otherwise.

Once contact is established, I try to discover a little more via 2 or 3 emails, then straight to talking on the phone. The voice and chat are much more revealing. I suggest not using your primary phone. instead, buy a cheap prepaid one. It's rare to have trouble, but I know of one man and several women who ended up having to change their main mobile number.

I never offer to pay for coffee or first meal. I expect them to pay for themselves.

I don't have too much trouble reading someone's body language and sincerity. If you do, I'd suggest talking to friends about it and reading a book or two. Words hide deeper feelings too easily.

In general, I think it is too easy to waste a lot of time and energy looking for a partner this way. (but so is going to parties, nightclubs, etc.)

As for pics, avoid selfies, esp in your bedroom or bathroom. They scream lack of intelligence, imagination, and resourcefulness. preferred pics - doing something rather than posing, being with others enjoying yourself (but not getting smashed, smiling rather than grimacing, clear shot of face and eyes, in focus, well lit. include body, though don't do the blatant hard bod expose. have several pics and include one very well dressed in suit. one in work clothes is also telling. avoid a reel of pics of you posing in front of various landmarks on your latest OS holiday, alone!

I know many over 40s who have met online and have been happily tgethre for years. I've had a couple of false starts, but n general the net s jst anthrer way to meet. You get all sorts. Don't let rejection get you down. Just keep refining what it is you are looking for, and becoming a better person yourself.

I respectfully disagree with you. Its a generalisation. You will get pretty people who have crap personalities and fuglies with crap personalities (and vice versa). Im not sure looks and personality go hand in hand.

Taking a young, very pretty law firm receptionest (think barbie doll type) camping on the south coast for the weekend didnt go well. The fact it was cold and raining didnt help. She complained so much in the first 15mins of getting there, I gave up and went diving all weekend - I had a great time - She thought it was the "worst weekend ever - I will never get this dirt out of my hair". It was pretty obvious it wasnt going to work between us. Some people would get dishartened I just thought it was bloody funny. I did feel sorry for her for a bit... but I got over it :D

no offence taken, but doesn't what you wrote emphasise my point in that as a general, prettier people (both male and female) will have a higher chance of a crappier personality????
My question is with a crappy personality like that would you have asked her out if she wasnt stunning?
from my experience on rsvp, with women over 40yo:

Nice post!! kudos to you

no offence taken, but doesn't what you wrote emphasise my point in that as a general, prettier people (both male and female) will have a higher chance of a crappier personality????

Disagree. It's simply because they're "pretty" you pay more attention to them and what they do. Will you realise the bad personality of the "ugly" by your standard? Probably not, because you won't even pay attention.

Her personality wasnt crappy. She just wasnt into the same things I was. She couldnt stand camping and hated every moment of it. She was a pretty girl and into pretty things (fashion, food, being in the "right" place with the "right" people etc). Nothing wrong with that, its just not my cup of tea. Ok - I did get sick of her complaining about the "dirt, bugs, mud, cold etc and when I realised that it was going to be a nightmare, and that we were never going to click - I went diving. :eek:

I have taken plenty of pretty women diving, boating and camping and they loved every minute of it - this one just didnt. Im sure someone will love her.

Blacky

Fair enough blacky
Horses for courses

I would personally think that someone who is obviously getting picked up in your car, having all expenses paid for (even though it was camping) , you made the effort and to sit there complaining as a typical example of being a stuck up cocky *****

And yet she would be the sort of person who would say "I want spontaneity. I'm sick of boring first dates of dinner, coffee or a drink"

But that's me

Never would I do that if I was in the reverse situation
Especially if they put in that much effort

Blacky... I'd be curious to know if she expressed interest in camping initially? Did she understand that camping entailed... camping? :D:confused:

Blacky... I'd be curious to know if she expressed interest in camping initially? Did she understand that camping entailed... camping? :D:confused:

I suppose that's the whole idea of 'coffee'... finding out a bit about the other during a brief encounter, and not risking being stuck with someone you realize you don't like much, for longer than you have to.

She was a pretty girl and into pretty things (fashion, food, being in the "right" place with the "right" people etc).
I call that "urbanised".

Very common type of human these days, sadly. Boys too.

Can't change a light bulb or blow up a tyre on their own car, etc.

All these replies are making me laugh

Its far worse when you are older. Particularly being an older female. Males die before us. Much smaller pool to choose from, therefore the males are very picky.

I tried RSVP at age around 60. I made the mistake of putting that I was an Accountant (eg boring) and liked renovating, etc. What did I get...70+ and 80+ men wanting someone to be their housemaid, and handyperson and work to support them ...yeah right...I never mentioned the ips :)

I used to get over 60 replies each time I tried...but very few that were suitable.

I have found the best way of meeting people is on chat sites suitable for your age.. Most are on there for a bit of fun and to play all sorts of music, even rock and roll.... haha. Most just want to chat, plus they have "Chat Meets" and it can be very funny putting faces to the people you are used to chatting to. You do not have to disclose anything about yourself, it just comes out in the chat if you want it to. On PalTalk a lot get on the cam so the whole room can see them.

The main problem is that these people are from all over the world, so to take a relationship further can be a challenge.

Chris

ha ha - no. She actually said that she "hated camping". I couldnt understand how anyone could hate camping (esspecially an Australian). I just thought it was a figure of speach. Why on earth she ended up saying yes is beyond me - though I can be very persuasive when I want. Or maybe Im just such a great catch Im worth a weekend of torture... :D

I have taken girls out on the boat, and they have spent the whole time green and curled into the foetal position, occationally (sometimes regularly) revisiting the previous weeks menu. At the end of it they were happy to get to dry land. They didnt appreciate any of the effort that I went to to bring them lobster and fish (hunter gather points???). Doesnt mean they have a crappy personality - they just get seasick. They are not about to thank me for the effort I put in, they dont care. They just want to get to dry land, and I want to get to a pub.

As Weg says its probably why "coffee" is so popular. Its very safe. Im more of a risk taker, jump in feet first. If you can enjoy a weekend together there might be something there. I can bluff my way through an hour of so of coffee to get a girl to like me...enough... :eek::D.
But convincing a girl you met on the web to spend a weekend camping with a complete stranger is not really going to happen before coffee, dinner, drinks.

Blacky

As Weg says its probably why "coffee" is so popular. Its very safe. Im more of a risk taker, jump in feet first.

I can bluff my way through an hour of so of coffee to get a girl to like me...enough... .

But convincing a girl you met on the web to spend a weekend camping with a complete stranger is not really going to happen before coffee, dinner, drinks.

Now I'm even more confused. Do you have coffee with them first or not?

I have taken girls out on the boat, and they have spent the whole time green and curled into the foetal position, occationally (sometimes regularly) revisiting the previous weeks menu. At the end of it they were happy to get to dry land. They didnt appreciate any of the effort that I went to to bring them lobster and fish (hunter gather points???). Doesnt mean they have a crappy personality - they just get seasick. They are not about to thank me for the effort I put in, they dont care. They just want to get to dry land, and I want to get to a pub.

I've learned not to expect much from people who are seasick. About a year ago I was on a dive boat and one of the girls on the boat was seasick on the way out. She did the dive and was fine in 40 meters of water, but then decided to feed the fish again on her safety stop. By the time she surfaced she was too weak to climb the ladder so I had to jump in and practice my rescue skills.

I pretty much saved her, helped her onto the boat and managed to retrieve $5,000 worth of dive equipment. I didn't get a word of thanks as she was sleeping in a foetal position when I finally got back on the boat. ;)

In my book Blacky, you've got an awesome idea for a weekend away!

For others looking to meet people, get a dog (I've got a Lab). BEST WINGMAN EVER :D

BEST WINGMEN EVER !!!

The little one is Jac, she's feisty but loves cuddles.

Big muddy one is Tessie. Always happy, outgoing and loves meeting people.

Fortunately for me, I'm very happily married.

Attachments

• 291_16470972956_2478_n.jpg
    291_16470972956_2478_n.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 59
Now I'm even more confused. Do you have coffee with them first or not?

Ahh. Sorry. I didn't meet that one online. It was a "first date" but I had met her in person already - so she realized I wasn't a crazy murderer going to kill her and bury her while camping. :p

Pt_ maybe we should hook up :eek::D

I agree with your wing man plan too.
I was living in a fishing town in WA and my hound was about 10 weeks old. I had just come out of the water from a dive and was waiting for my mate. I let my dog off the lead and he promptly hunted down 2 girls walking down the beach (well trained). I ran over to "fetch" my adorable puppy and the girls took one look at me and sped off. They were nearly at a jog. I was somewhat confused but left it be.
Shortly after my mate returned from the water took one look at me and said "Blacky you have a huge snot which runs from your nose to your ear"... Clearly hadn't washed my face after removing my mask. :eek:
Explains the girls reaction I guess.

Blacky

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 50
If Mr Westminster decides to trade me in for a hotter/younger/different model I'm not sure I could be bothered with internet dating. It sounds more dangerous to the ego than my MIL.

With three kids I'm probably only going to attract weirdos anyway - at least they have the same parentage.

Ahh. Sorry. I didn't meet that one online. It was a "first date" but I had met her in person already - so she realized I wasn't a crazy murderer going to kill her and bury her while camping. :p

It does now.

I thought the crazy mass murderer thing, but also... thinking on the drive there, 'oh no, what have i done, I don't want to spend the w/e with him/her after all'.

The guy I worked with, that hooked up with the ice addict, would get a mate to ring him about 30 minutes into a first date, and if the date was not to his standard in looks he would pretend it was an emergency at home and leave.

He said the downside to this was when they rang him later crying because they knew he was trying to get out of the date.

The thing is he was no oil painting himself.

Back