Private schools in Sydney

At ages 3 and 5, (and well into the beyond) public is just fine in most cases.

Unless there is a "keep up with the Jones" mentality in the neighborhood, but we don't subscribe to that brainlessness here at SS; do we?

Save yourself loads of money.

The parents' input into their kids education is the main difference.

I have to disagree with you there. Early childhood years are critical too to how they will develop into teenagers. It's like the mentality 'oh so what if he can't read when most children his age can, he's still young....he'll get better when he gets older'......it's a very tender age and very important and if you do believe that a private school is the best option for you then pls don't think of it as a waste of money just because your child is only 5y.o.

My husband is a ECT and wants our children in private school. You will get naughty kids at all schools but at private schools...kids tend to be eager to learn (they are screened and usually their parents put in the effort at home). At public schools, you tend to get more kids that would rather play than learn. I also think it's money well spent. Education, my children's happiness, to be feel secure and happy and be at the same school from prep to year 12....is really a small price to pay...I'd spend money on that over an IP any day. The only reason why I invest is to be able to afford things like private schooling, otherwise what's the point? ofcourse $24k a yr for a 5y.o is just ridiculous. But say between $1.5k to $5k is ok when you consider how expensive CC is, private schooling is a relief.

Even when I was at a private school, it was cool to be smart but at the public school, it was cool to be dumb/naughty and geeky to be smart. My grades went downhill when I changed to public coz I wanted to fit in and there was no culture of being studious whereas I/everybody wanted to be popular in private school so always aimed to get dux i.e 90% + in exams. I was 'saved' just before the crucial year 11 coz I found myself a bf, gave up on my friends and my life for the next 2 yrs just revolved around my bf, work and school and I went to Uni. All my friends either dropped out or got pregnant and dropped out.

But I am not bitter because I count all experiences good or bad as valuable. I still met some great friends through public schooling, it helped to mature me quicker to be able to see both side of the fence.

Unless there is a "keep up with the Jones" mentality in the neighborhood, but we don't subscribe to that brainlessness here at SS; do we?

Parents have significantly less time than the schools to put effort into your kids education.

We know many people who have taken there kids out of the local pubic schools because specific needs were not being addressed. My daughter had extra tuition in Kindy and year 1 for reading . If that hadn't been addressed she could have been behind the 8 ball . Now she's just under an distinctions average in her second year at UTS Busines.

Nothing to do with elitism , every to do with education. Having said that , our kids do know incredibly well connected people.

Cliff

We are sending ours to the local public primary school but plan to have them in private for secondary.

It was important to me that they began life by associating with a wide variety of people and I believe that will shape them differently as people. Our daughter is now in grade one and thriving and we couldn't be happier with the school. We seem to be blessed with a fantastic local school within walking distance. People come from our of area to attend the school.

Our nephew was edcated at a state primary school and is now on a scholarship at a top private school.

I think that if there are learning or other diffculties other choices might be more appropriate but so far this is working for us.

Last edited:
Parents have significantly less time than the schools to put effort into your kids education.

We know many people who have taken there kids out of the local pubic schools because specific needs were not being addressed. My daughter had extra tuition in Kindy and year 1 for reading . If that hadn't been addressed she could have been behind the 8 ball . Now she's just under an distinctions average in her second year at UTS Busines.

Nothing to do with elitism , every to do with education. Having said that , our kids do know incredibly well connected people.

Cliff

This brings up another issue that my wife and I constantly shake our heads at, as we know a few families in this boat;

if they have a life that is so consumed with work, and the pursuit of a career and riches, they why in the hell are they having 2 or 3 kids that they clearly have no intention of spending a reasonable amount of time with?

If you are that career driven; don't have kids. Simple. You are not being a responsible parent. Sure, you are being a good provider, but kids need the parent, not their presents and gifts and carers. I'm not saying private schools are bad; never have, but a good public school for primary school kids provides plenty of quality eduction.

The kids certainly don't need before and after school care 5 days a week like some of our $150k + income earning friends do. It's a bloody disgrace in my book. They drive around in a Beemer and farm out the kids for hours every day. Get a priority; one parent drop down the hours and be around to live some life with kids for god's sake.

Spending time reading to your kids, helping them with spelling, doing times-tables and other simple skills such as these take but a half hour or so of your day, and are a pleasure to be involved in.

If neither of these two factors is a possibility, or a pleasure - don't have the child - you are not doing it a favour. You are a phony.

Not blowing our own trumpet here - I believe this is all parents' responsibility - we read (and have read) to our son every single night of his life.

Consequently, he loves reading, he is at a grade 3 level for spelling and reading while in grade 2. He is engaged in school work and my wife and I love to help him with his homework, and he likes to do it. Now, if we can just get his maths a bit better...

And, he is in a terrific public school that displays excellent values and caring for their students. The programs and teachers are great, my wife and I both volunteer in the classroom from time to time - it's terrific; we love it and the kids love it.

Kids are to be enjoyed.

End of rant.

The Public vs Private school debate has and always will be debated.

Some people are staunch supporters of one or the other while some can see good in both.

Some people have had bad experiences with a public or private school so have switched camps.

The fact remains that there are good and not so good schools. This varies according to the individual child's needs.

I've heard glowing reports about schools and not so glowing of the same school form a different parent.

We are all individuals trying to do the best for our children with what we have. Some people have more money, some have more time.

Each person needs to look at their child and decide what is best for them. I've seen people change from Public to Private because the Private school had stricter discipline. I've seen people pull their child from Private school because they have had special needs which the private school won't spend money on (it comes out of their pocket).

Each persons experiences with their schooling also makes a huge difference. I went to a poor quality public school but never considered private schools. But we used to live near Mt Druitt and I vowed to move before my children started school. My daughter went to 2 years out there and did very well. Then we moved. The new school suited my daughter but not my son (he has ADD). I moved him and he thrived (both Public).

You can't really compare experiences as each child is different and each individual school is different. Those that went to a not so good school will generalise and say all public/private schools are bad and same goes for the other end of the spectrum. Which is why these debates really go nowhere and you get stupid comments like public schools don't care etc.

Good luck with your decision, it is a life changing one for your children.

I've heard glowing reports about schools and not so glowing of the same school form a different parent.

I totally agree with this. The public primary school my kids went to was (and still is) so hard to get into that people for years have moved into the catchment area just to get in. After 13 years of my kids being in this school, I wouldn't recommend it any more. I was actually glad to see the back of it. I have seen too many things that I totally am disgusted (or at least very disappointed) with. Principals change, and the school can go downhill quickly.

The thing in Sydney that makes me laugh are the way parents actually knock on peoples doors, offering to pay their electricity bill so they can get into a particular school (they use it as proof that they live in the area).

These are usually schools that offer OC classes (Opportunity class).
These are for years 5 and 6 (last 2 years of Primary). Now these schools offer nothing more than any other school, other than this class. Whether you attend the school has NOTHING to do with whether you get in. It's purely on a test.

We have parents pull kids out of our school to go to this school. If they look at the results our school outranks these schools in the Basic Skills test and the number of children that get into selective high schools. It's purely a "my kid got in" mentality and they think it will qualify their kid for selective high school. The class is only as good as it's teacher. With hand picking the kids they should all get in to selective high schools.
One parent's child did not get in so she made him repeat year 4 and try again the next year. How crazy is that?:D

This brings up another issue that my wife and I constantly shake our heads at, as we know a few families in this boat;

if they have a life that is so consumed with work, and the pursuit of a career and riches, they why in the hell are they having 2 or 3 kids that they clearly have no intention of spending a reasonable amount of time with?

If you are that career driven; don't have kids. Simple. You are not being a responsible parent. Sure, you are being a good provider, but kids need the parent, not their presents and gifts and carers. I'm not saying private schools are bad; never have, but a good public school for primary school kids provides plenty of quality eduction.

The kids certainly don't need before and after school care 5 days a week like some of our $150k + income earning friends do. It's a bloody disgrace in my book. They drive around in a Beemer and farm out the kids for hours every day. Get a priority; one parent drop down the hours and be around to live some life with kids for god's sake.

Spending time reading to your kids, helping them with spelling, doing times-tables and other simple skills such as these take but a half hour or so of your day, and are a pleasure to be involved in.

If neither of these two factors is a possibility, or a pleasure - don't have the child - you are not doing it a favour. You are a phony.

Not blowing our own trumpet here - I believe this is all parents' responsibility - we read (and have read) to our son every single night of his life.

Consequently, he loves reading, he is at a grade 3 level for spelling and reading while in grade 2. He is engaged in school work and my wife and I love to help him with his homework, and he likes to do it. Now, if we can just get his maths a bit better...

And, he is in a terrific public school that displays excellent values and caring for their students. The programs and teachers are great, my wife and I both volunteer in the classroom from time to time - it's terrific; we love it and the kids love it.

Kids are to be enjoyed.

End of rant.

My comment was specifically that schools spend more time educating our kids than we do .

Last time I looked , my kids spend about six hours a day at school , five days a week , adds up to 30 hours a week , 40 weeks a year.

So do you spend that amount of time educating you kids ?? Doubt it . Specifically on educating , which is the point I made.

Personally when I get home , I'd like to spend my time relaxing and playing with my kids , rather than having to spend my time making up for the inadequacies of their school education.

Cliff

Last edited:
The thing in Sydney that makes me laugh are the way parents actually knock on peoples doors, offering to pay their electricity bill so they can get into a particular school (they use it as proof that they live in the area).

I have been placed in this situation with one family working on my mother and putting her under pressure as well after I refused to lie for them (my primary zone is in the city and takes in a completely different zoning to secondary school which is in the suburbs :confused:).

And I don't know how but this family eventually got their child into yet another school zone outside of theirs which is even more difficult to get into when the school reported in the local paper it had gone over their numbers just catering for the influx of young families with children that were entering the area (that is a census fact) :rolleyes:.

Manipulation and deceit does go on.

There's nothing wrong with public schools.
Real education does not come from the classroom. It comes from the home and from self-education and self-motivation. Private schools are just over-priced status symbols!

When a school comes along that teaches kids how to make their own living rather than relying on others to employ them, I'll support it hands down. But public or private, they are all doing one thing and thats teaching kids how to become a slave to someone else. Kids with a free spirit and a vision for their own future will flourish regardless of what school they went to.

We are currently looking into which school to send our kids to as well. They will not be going public. We are looking at catholic or anglican.

In private schools teachers who do not perform well can be sacked. Children who are disruptive or bullies can be expelled. Issues raised with principals will generally be heard and acted upon (unfortunately it is usually due to the fact that you are a paying customer). Resources and facilities excellent. Dress codes strict, behaviour policies strict, parent participation strongly encouraged etc.

We will be trying to give our children the best education we can afford.

To get a feel for a School take a visit at the end of the school day. Interesting to see the goings on of the teachers, kids and parents.

Another good way to get a feel for a School is to attend their sports carnival. In my experience there was a HUGE difference in how the teachers spoke to the students and the different levels of organisation.

The whole "isn't Public School good enough for you" mentality gets on my goat. I find it comparable to the Shares v Property thing. Each to their own and find the one that suits YOU best.

Sunshine

Bayview, whilst I agree with some points you made...you are describing my bro. He does drive around in a 7 series and sends his kids to a $20k+ a yr school and in a way, I have to disagree with you. He built up his law firm from nothing, works extremely hard, has clients and everyone depending on him. My sil also works in the law firm and having your own business actually allows you to be a SAHM, to do school drop offs and pick ups. They are trying to juggle everything and be the best parents they can be and give the best start in life for their kids. They don't even take holidays. He has 2 weeks over Xmas but he's still at the office every day catching up. We can see the massive improvements in my nephew as a result of a good school but then you get what you pay. He's also in grade 2 but can read anything...we test him with random words and he has no problem. On weekends, they are very busy with tennis, swimming, golf etc it's really tough but they make the effort to take him for training during the week, to watch his weekend matches...it's just so full on. In a way, I think ppl that can afford the extortionate school fees have done well, work hard etc so good for them.

Got forced into the private system this year because of poor teaching and disruptive kids, and noticing a real difference in quality. Totally worth being broke for!

But actually it's all very personal. You may think the school is great and your child is thriving whilst another parent may not.

Was talking to another friend the other day and she was telling us how great her son's school is, it's a public school.

Just as well my hubby taught there for awhile last year and all the other teachers did was complain how bad the system was, the lack of support and how horrid all the kids were. They were rowdy, very lil behavioural management in place, had to give out 3 different levels of work to over 50 kids sharing one classrom with 2 teachers and assistants running around etc

I think it's very helpful that our kids will be going to the same school hubby teaches to get the inside scoop.

My comment was specifically that schools spend more time educating our kids than we do .

Last time I looked , my kids spend about six hours a day at school , five days a week , adds up to 30 hours a week , 40 weeks a year.

So do you spend that amount of time educating you kids ?? Doubt it . Specifically on educating , which is the point I made.

Personally when I get home , I'd like to spend my time relaxing and playing with my kids , rather than having to spend my time making up for the inadequacies of their school education.

Cliff

Schools do spend more time educating our kids than we do I agree. But this is not an invitation for the parent to simply sit back and let the school do it all - as does happen, unfortunately. If a parent thinks they can open their cheque book to give themselves a pass on having to be involved with their kids homework, then they will probably have problems with their kids during teenage years. Apprently this is a fact from studies conducted.

You were intimating that the private education will be better than the public, which I don't agree with. It is a common perception that it will be better.

Granted, there are percentage wise more private schools that are better than the public, but a lot of the child's success comes down not to the school, but to the child and his/her parent's support and involvement.

It is not a given that you fork out thousands for your kid's eduction per term (especially in Primary school) and voila; they pop out the other end as a doctor or Queens' Council, as many think will be the case.

As for relaxing and playing with the kids, this is (should be) a given.

But, many parents are very "Chuck Norris" when it comes to helping their kids with their homework and other early eduction activities in both Primary and even Secondary.

I personally don't know any parents who sent kids to private schools have mentality of "keep up with the Jones" at all. If I can find some sort of report saying that most or 10% of parents in private have that mentality I will have to change my view to private system as I think it will be bad environment/school life for kids to grow up . I think and beleive most parents have the same phylosophy :
1. Iam always the first and best teacher of my sons
2. My sons will make his life/not anyone else
3. school/and teachers are the last but not least to contribute to his success

I think it depends very much on the kid, and very much on the individual school. I went to one of the worst (academically speaking) schools in NSW for my entire high school. It toughened me up and taught me about people, but the quality of education was very poor.

My son will probably go to our local primary school (which has a very good reputation), and we'll find a church based co-ed private school for him for high school. Technically we live in zone for the same high school I went to, but there's no way known he'll be going there.

As a parent it's all about balancing the needs of your child with preparation for adult life, survival skills and making them hungry for their own success.

Public schools are a gamble. Some are great, and some are lousy. And they change - a great one can go downhill very quickly. Or a lousy one can improve.
Private schools are less of a gamble.
A couple of careers ago, I was a high school teacher. And I taught public and private.
Public and private school kids can be just as ratty outside school, but the big difference I found between them was that the private school kids understood that there were different codes of behaviour appropriate inside the school and the classroom, compared with those outside the school grounds.
My kids are 6 and 8. They go to a very good local primary school and I'm hoping the local high schools get up to speed by the time they are high school age. If they don't, there is a public school in an adjacent area that has a performing arts stream, and another one with a visual arts stream. They're good schools.
And if we run out of good public options, we'll be going private. I've been hedging my bets and have been contributing to the ASG fund for about six years. Yeah, I know it's not the cleverest savings option, but I've got about $65K sitting in there that I wouldn't have had otherwise.
Scott

I personally don't know any parents who sent kids to private schools have mentality of "keep up with the Jones" at all.

Of course not; it's not something that anyone will openly admit to.

Although; you sometimes get the ones who like to "accidentally" drop a name. :rolleyes:

Back