Pro-painter - Painting 101 Help?

If they indeed are rusted through and it is not just the paint peeling, and if you need the whole house replaced you will need to get quotes. The corner looks bad too, with the barge board corner join looking like it might be water damaged and a bit rotten and need replacing (but it is hard to tell from the photo).

We've just had our house quoted to replace all the gutters. We don't need all of them replaced, but probably two thirds need replacing, and we will probably get the lot done, so the levels are done properly from scratch.

Both quotes so far were honest in telling us they could replace the bits that were rusted through, so they were not saying the whole house guttering needed replacing, which was pleasing.

We are thinking of having 150mm gutters instead of 75mm. They apparently hold double the water in a big storm, and will allow us to "lose" a couple of downpipes.

We've had two quotes so far. One was about (from memory) $3,700 (just over $4K if we go with the 150mm size) and the other was over $7K. We have a third quote arranged for next week. I'm guessing the $7K bloke doesn't want the job and has hiked up the price to scare us off.

Our house is large(ish) so depending on the condition of your gutters, how much needs replacing (if any) your price will need to be quoted.

It looks from the photo like they certainly are allowing water through, so you don't want to be painting the soffits and walls and then have the gutters dripping over your new paint. Worth getting a roofer or gutter company to take a look...

It looks from the photo like they certainly are allowing water through, so you don't want to be painting the soffits and walls and then have the gutters dripping over your new paint. Worth getting a roofer or gutter company to take a look...

Ok, thank you wylie :)

Haha, already bought Dulux miss green eyes.
managed to get 2 roroom done, one photos here
Before
IMAG4500.jpg
After
IMAG4525.jpg

Cool, is that the undercoat or the whisper white? How're you finding the painting?

That's the whisper white :) greenish undertone when I combine it with white trims and ceiling.

I find painting... A muscle work! And 2-3 weekends won't be enough if I don't cut corners.
- the one coat ceiling paint is more difficult to apply, but in this situation, a real time saver
- wall, at least 2 coats of topcoat since I don't use primer at all. Underestimated how that pinkish wall came through white coat.
- prepping trims take a long time since I need to go through the whole process
- it's very hard to be neat when you're rushing. In this situation, masking actually helps a lot. use good masking tape :)
- Hurts my back and shoulders are now very sore

Next time just safe money and get painter hahaha :D

I always wrap my brushes in left over bags from the grocery shopping - I've had them last for weeks!

I put rollers & tray into a large kitchen tidy bag and fold the opening under the tray to seal. Also lasts for weeks.

I use a cheap plastic soup ladle for getting paint from can to tray or small bucket. Old paint just peels off easy for the next job/colour.

I find Zinsser Cover Stain works well on water or nicotine stains as an undercoat as these usually show through if just going over with normal paint.

Hi en710, nice pro-looking job for a first timer!
Are you saying your whisper white paint was tinted green by the original paint underneath?
I'll have another look at the pics on my computer later, can't see very well on my mob.

Are you saying your whisper white paint was tinted green by the original paint underneath?
I'll have another look at the pics on my computer later, can't see very well on my mob.

Haha, not sure how the tint the colour, but for example, Antique White USA is yellowish creamy tone, lexicon is blueish tone, whispewhite is kind of greenish white if you compare it with the like of vivid white

Whisper White is supposed to be the same tint as Antique White USA, just lighter.
So in other words WW is just AW 1/2 or AW 1/4.
I'm not very good with seeing tints. Can't catch the green in your WW walls. Apparently Dulux Vivid White, which is their whitest white (ceiling white), has a black tint :eek: now, a black tint in white....that really boggles my little brain....

Still not the colour I'm aiming for. In fact, it looks the same as AW USA....? I think I was looking for something cooler.

Do you think you've lost out in rent by not having a tradie complete the job in 2-3 days? If you're driving up from Sydney every weekend to do it over 3 weekends, you're losing 3 weeks worth of rent, aren't you?

So in other words WW is just AW 1/2 or AW 1/4.

Still not the colour I'm aiming for. In fact, it looks the same as AW USA....? I think I was looking for something cooler.

Do you think you've lost out in rent by not having a tradie complete the job in 2-3 days? If you're driving up from Sydney every weekend to do it over 3 weekends, you're losing 3 weeks worth of rent, aren't you?

Lexicon quarter is what you maybe looking for?

Re rent - there are rubbish in the property and in the garden so the place can't be rented until it's cleaned, getting Tradies in for painting won't make it faster to rent in my situation unfortunately, only give me less muscles pain. Apart from that, garage still not accessible as they're waiting for parts to open it. Next week is likely my last painting week :)

Kitchen is way out of it use by date I think, and I want to change the carpet if possible. Bathroom need a quick refresh to remove rotting timber on the wall. So place not going to be ready at least for another 2 weeks. Yes, not getting rent but holding cost is lower for this one as I offset quite a bit of it with savings.

I like the new colour. Good job

Thank you, I do hope tenatn don't mind with the imperfections haha...
I didn't feel the difference until actually going to unpainted room to the one that has been painted - it feels a lot lighter with all whites :eek:

I think I'll get painter/ handyman for kitchen, laundry and bathroom - then need a lot more cleaning and prep than just paint on top. Will see how it goes this weekend. I don't really mind hands on painting job, it's just the travel back and forward takes a lot of time, and I don't like leaving my dog alone for extended period :(

@wylie, I double checked the eaves and gutter on other 3 sides of the property, the looks ok except that front bits. Will find a roofer to to have a look. Hoping it's only the front one that need fixing :)

Hi en710,
I see alot of ads on gumtree for free kitchens, but you need to dismantle them yourself. Sometimes there are bathrooms and tiles too.
Even ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (I would never take these secondhand).
Carpet is always worth doing, imho. Floating floorboards seem easy to diy, if you prefer that.

Last edited:
I'll check out lexicon 1/4, thanks for the tip :)

The skirting boards looks unpainted in the original pics? You painted them white? I would have left them - unpainted wood always looks good and would have saved you some work.

Last edited:
This one is not DIY, got handyman to do kitchen walls and cabinets plus doors, I have got mixed opinion on colour of choice for the cabinets, I still think it's neater in darker colour and imperfections are less apparent. What do you think?

PhotoGrid_1416013495375.jpg

Back