Qantas Grounded?

A budget airline is doing a job to a budget. If I fly with jetstar I expect a cheap ticket. If I fly with Qantas I expect better.

That’s the problem. You often don’t get better!

Singapore airlines train their own people so that all attrition in numbers are replaced with their own countrymen. This has been happening for some time.

Singapore Airlines employees A LOT of foreign staff. They are definitely not all from Singapore. But they are all based in singapore

I'm just wondering if it is true that Qantas staff are paid more generally for the same job that the person at the next loading gate (different airline) are being paid for?

Absolutely. Speak to Jetstar staff. They sit in the staff rooms and listen to the Qantas staff have their whinges and just roll their eyes!

Anyways, why aren't Virgin Australia staff striking like their Qantas comrades, if the latter have it so tough?

Because in the scheme of things these staff are still paid well. Its just Qantas staff are overpaid!

Twu wants to appeal fair work decision. Seems they don't like the loss of power.

Bwah ha ha!

I can't wait to see Qantas be put into bankruptcy.

The short **** Irishman does have a brain after all.

By doing this he puts Jetstar in a position to buy Qantas back for a fraction of the cost. He has already moved a lot of the value into Jetstar anyway.

He gets to fire the overweight union reps...and their lazy ways. He also gets rid of the surly flight attendant types at Qantas.

Don’t you get it??? That is exactly the plan. Jetstar is 100% Qantas owned and came out of the Impulse collapse. Qantas cleverly bought Gerry Mcgowan’s planes when his little Impulse enterprise was facing collapse. When they bought the aircraft they also negotiated to retain the staff and he took some pilots and crew for Qantaslink and kept reservations staff in Newcastle to handle Qantas frequent flyer bookings. This was genius on their part because it meant they also could then have staff on another set of conditions to their overpaid Qantas staff (of which I was one at the time). They then subsequently set up Jetstar using these conditions. Moved the ex impulse staff back to the low-cost carrier model.

At the same time they started getting rid of a lot of expensive to run non core businesses of Qantas such as the Qantas Travel Centres (bye bye my job!) and selling off Qantas Holidays, Qantas Frequent Flyer and all the other expensive little side businesses that they could think of. It has been my feeling for some time that we would see Qantas go and Jetstar pop up in its place. This action over the weekend just solidifies this.

Honestly, Im like a scorned lover though I would go back to working for Qantas in a heartbeat!! Even though they cut me loose. Most of this was because it was a great place to work, but lets face it, the money and the perks were probably the biggest thing that held me there. Following my redundancy I went back and worked in the same industry for a short time, doing the same job, for almost half the money! Obviously I moved on.... to the public service!

I have to agree that they honestly cant sustain these things in the face of strong opposition. It has come to crisis point and something has to give. I feel for the families of the staff but seriously the party couldn’t go on forever. They have to realise that the world of aviation and travel has changed and they have to get with the times.

That said Qantas have always been an arrogant company to deal with and this is just more proof of this.

WE the travelling public have fully been a party in this change. The moment we decided that in order to get those cheaps seats we would trade all the glamour of travel and carry on our bags rather than pay that extra $10 and we were happy to buy our drinks signalled the end for the collosol expensive dinosaur that is that red flying rat!

Oh...I get it...it is a nmaster stroke....in terms of Corporate Strategy execution!

Would have loved to hear the briefing that Joyce or his lieutenants would have given the major fund managers in their plan.

Probably why they approved his $2m pay rise.

I must say that this is a great plan. Lets hope the idiots running the TWU cotton on to what is going on!

Whilst I don't like Alan Joyce....his gumption needs to be admired. Imagine if he was PM...instead of Juliar!

Don’t you get it??? That is exactly the plan. Jetstar is 100% Qantas owned and came out of the Impulse collapse. Qantas cleverly bought Gerry Mcgowan’s planes when his little Impulse enterprise was facing collapse. When they bought the aircraft they also negotiated to retain the staff and he took some pilots and crew for Qantaslink and kept reservations staff in Newcastle to handle Qantas frequent flyer bookings. This was genius on their part because it meant they also could then have staff on another set of conditions to their overpaid Qantas staff (of which I was one at the time). They then subsequently set up Jetstar using these conditions. Moved the ex impulse staff back to the low-cost carrier model.

At the same time they started getting rid of a lot of expensive to run non core businesses of Qantas such as the Qantas Travel Centres (bye bye my job!) and selling off Qantas Holidays, Qantas Frequent Flyer and all the other expensive little side businesses that they could think of. It has been my feeling for some time that we would see Qantas go and Jetstar pop up in its place. This action over the weekend just solidifies this.

Honestly, Im like a scorned lover though I would go back to working for Qantas in a heartbeat!! Even though they cut me loose. Most of this was because it was a great place to work, but lets face it, the money and the perks were probably the biggest thing that held me there. Following my redundancy I went back and worked in the same industry for a short time, doing the same job, for almost half the money! Obviously I moved on.... to the public service!

I have to agree that they honestly cant sustain these things in the face of strong opposition. It has come to crisis point and something has to give. I feel for the families of the staff but seriously the party couldn’t go on forever. They have to realise that the world of aviation and travel has changed and they have to get with the times.

That said Qantas have always been an arrogant company to deal with and this is just more proof of this.

WE the travelling public have fully been a party in this change. The moment we decided that in order to get those cheaps seats we would trade all the glamour of travel and carry on our bags rather than pay that extra $10 and we were happy to buy our drinks signalled the end for the collosol expensive dinosaur that is that red flying rat!

Last edited:
Oh...I get it...it is master stroke....in terms of Corporate Strategy execution!

Would have loved to hear the briefing that Joyce or his lieutenants would have given the major fund managers in their plan.

I must say that this is great plan. Lets hope the idiots running the TWU cotton on to what is going on!

the TWU will have their heads so far up their bum that they wont see it coming; and then bleat about "unfair something", "improper something-else" and the lemmings they have been leading will have so much momentum that as they try to stop, the crowd will push them off the cliff.

Some interesting facts that Fairfax and ABC didn't report.
From Alan Jones' interview with Alan Joyce this morning:

- Joyce's salary was cut over the last 3 years by the following :
30%, 20%, 9%
- Joyce currently gets paid less than what he was paid at JetStar
- Per hour worked, top pilots get paid more than Joyce.
- Superannuation is above industry norm.
- Qantas staff are the highest paid in the airline sector.
- Baggage handlers are paid >12% than Virgin handlers.
- Some A380 captain gets paid $500k pa, 6 weeks annual leave, 25 sick days pa, heavily discounted family travel.
- Licenced engineers are the highest paid in the world.
- Average 747 captain 350k pa for 14 hours of flying a week.
- Heavy maintenance staff work 19 days a month
- Line maintenance staff work 4 days on 4 days off.
- Union demands will cost $165m pa and restrict company from getting new technology such as aircraft.
- Qantas is the only airline that does its heavy maintenance in Australia.
- Qantas has 15 licensed engineers per plane. Virgin has 2.
- Many engineerng work practises go back to 30-40 years, and are anachronistic for new technology planes.
- the unions want job guarantees. Does anyone else have job guarantees?

I loved his comments this morning when he said soemthing to the effect of "I won't allow anyone or anything to get in the way or threaten the profitability of this company".....

Lordy lordy - a boss with a spine....now there is a breath of fresh air.

My issue is wildcat industrial action that immediately left 70,000 passengers stranded here and overseas. Q had a range of options and chose to go thermonuclear.

And doing so in order to access centralized arbitration - 1980's style - is the antithesis of where IR has been going the last 20 years.

Indeed....let's hope we have a complete retraction....cos where it has been heading is a joke.

Sycophantic bosses too scared to say boo to a goose, pathetically tripping over their words to appease the unionised workers, whilst the workers forge ahead calling management every name under the sun.

I was pleased to read the Qantas board who made the decision unanimously on Saturday to shut it down and bring the unions to account included some very competent heavyweights who called a spade a spade ;

• Ex Rio Tinto union busting boss
  • Ex CBA chairman
  • General Peter Cosgrove

The wannabe future Labor MP Tony Sheldon (head union knob) is trying to do a Bill Shorten, make this his last union hurrah before slipping on a Labor MP jacket.

No wonder this country is going down the gurgler with a gaggle of clowns like him scratching for Labor positions.

...well....the gorillas who are running the unions are playing into Joyce's hands.....

This is a union busting move....I have no sympathy for these unions as their collossal arses have been living off the hog. Sure management is not different...but times have to change....otherwise none of this will be done in Australia!

Perhaps some of these unions types should talk to Ansett staff to see if they have any regrets??

Why do you say that?

Dick Smith needs to be commended for calling out what a dangerous little leftie slacker Gillard is.

While most of the electronic media are too commercially ignorant to comprehend what is going on, Dick has several times since Friday explained very clearly the rock and hard place Qantas are in. He rightfully feels it shouldn't be up to him to clarify the situation, but Gillard.

Instead, he alludes, Labor have been their usual commercially illiterate selves, and babbled ineffectively Qantas and the unions need to go away and sort it out between themselves. hahahaha. hello Julia!!! where have you been for the last 18 mths? oh that's right, preoccupied with the boat people you and Kev attracted.

Oh...I get it...it is a nmaster stroke....in terms of Corporate Strategy execution!

I must say that this is a great plan. Lets hope the idiots running the TWU cotton on to what is going on!

Whilst I don't like Alan Joyce....his gumption needs to be admired. Imagine if he was PM...instead of Juliar!

Paul Keating, Bob Hawke, Howard.....would have stepped in before it got to this point...

Not our Julia, who incidently was Workplace Relations Minister as Deputy PM.

Gillard declined to use an Act that she herself drafted...because....it was too scarey? Why did she draft it, if it couldn't be used? We all know why.

Interesting idea about buy-back. Makes sense.

Regards JO

- Per hour worked, top pilots get paid more than Joyce.

I'd hate to accuse Mr Jones, a bastion of our airwaves, of telling porkies, but lets look at this in detail.

Mr Joyce earns, as of Saturday, $5 mill a year. The top pilots earn $500k. So Mr Joyce earns 10 times the top pilots.

The top pilots fly 15 hours a week. Mr Joyce, to have a lower hourly rate, would need to work 150 hours a week.

Seeing as this leaves only 18 hours a week for sleeping, eating and other activities, I'd say Mr Joyce probably works less than 21 and a half hours a day.

The first casualty in industrial disputes is the truth. And before anyone says anything, yes, the unions are just as culpable.

- Joyce's salary was cut over the last 3 years by the following :
30%, 20%, 9%
- Joyce currently gets paid less than what he was paid at JetStar

Again, I hope Mr Jones isn't telling porkies. The Fairfax press DID mention both of these points.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/qantas-chiefs-pay-rise-sparks-anger-20110907-1jx7b.html

It's SO unlike Mr Jones to get his facts wrong.:rolleyes:

Mr Joyce earns, as of Saturday, $5 mill a year. The top pilots earn $500k. So Mr Joyce earns 10 times the top pilots.

The top pilots fly 15 hours a week. Mr Joyce, to have a lower hourly rate, would need to work 150 hours a week.

you are revealing profound unfamiliarity with the duties of the CEO of a company trying to ensure its survival in a market interfered with by a commercially illiterate govt Dan.

Do you really think Joyce has 6 weeks annual leave and 25 sick days a year?

you are revealing profound unfamiliarity with the duties of the CEO of a company trying to ensure its survival in a market interfered with by a commercially illiterate govt Dan.

Do you really think Joyce has 6 weeks annual leave and 25 sick days a year?

I'm unsure as to how much leave Mr Joyce takes each year. I was just making the point that Mr Joyce doesn't work 150 hours a week.

Didn't you know that that is most of what the dispute is about?

The wages are negotiable. The sticking point has always been the restructuring, which include 1000's of job losses and plans for a new non branded are to be based in Asia.

Good to see the rabid free market types are putting a positive spin on such a monumental ****-up.

Qantas has gone downhill very quickly. Most of it under the control of Joyce.

I used to be a frequent flyer domestically. Now, all my money goes to Virgin.

Well done Qantas. Another happy customer.

I would have previously have chosen Qantas for international flights, despite it being slightly more. No more.

This is not down to the unions, nor is it down to the staff, nor the aircraft. It is down to bad management.

Back