Racism in Australia

If they've done their jobs and confirmed that I have no weapons, and I've been identified (once, discreetly), there's no reason why the face needs to be kept on display throughout the visit.

You are incorrect. There are numerous occasions in which members of the public gallery have shouted obscenities/jumped down into the chamber/caused a ruckus. It happens often. If security guards in the public gallery are not able to identify the offender--and it is impossible to identify the offender if the face is covered--they cannot then take action; ie, remove that person.

Federal Parliament is not like a military base.

Seriously? There's thus far never been a woman in Parliament wearing a burqa, yet now you imagine there are going to be so many of them such that a troublemaker can't be singled out from a sea of burqas?

That's absurd.

I can't imagine anything that would single somebody out more than wearing a burqa.

Even if there were a sea of burqas: you throw out the person who's standing up and yelling. If our security people can't manage that, they're not much good, and we have bigger problems to address.

Seriously? There's thus far never been a woman in Parliament wearing a burqa, yet now you imagine there are going to be so many of them such that a troublemaker can't be singled out from a sea of burqas?

That's absurd.

You throw out the person who's standing up and yelling. If our security people can't manage that, they're not much good, and we have bigger problems to address.

Wrong. First, they do not necessarily 'stand up and yell'. Most of the time they remain seated. They need to be identified in the public gallery and, for that to happen, their faces need to be seen. It's not rocket science.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, where was I ... 3rd cloak from the right? :D

Attachments

• v2-p4-burqas-2.jpeg
    v2-p4-burqas-2.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 49
Hi leann,
You are the same as the rest of us oldies on this subject (drunk bogans). I would imagine many of us spend long weekends painting too, or building decks, or renovating kitchens :)

ha, well I actually meant painting on canvas but yeah if my property needed painting then I would enjoy that too.

wearing a burqa would be an ideal way to go under cover for criminal activities. For example a guy could walk into a bank and scope it out for a job in full disguise. Or a Petrol station, ATM etc. On the other hand I don't like the idea of taking away freedom of rights. I had to laugh at the comment from one politician that we should ban Tony Abbotts speedos lol.

Forget about the right to wear a Burkha;

what about the mentality of folks wanting to wear one. :eek:

How come religions dream up all these ridiculous ideas about dress, and killing, and so forth and so on? :confused::eek:

I'm all for free dress and so on, but jeezuss H.

We saw a lady last summer on the foreshore near our place...35 degree day; dressed in the black sheet, while the hubby and kids frolicked around in the Aussie cossies.

WTF?

Note to world; it is now 2014...not the year Mose's grandfather started shaving.

what about the mentality of folks wanting to wear one. :eek:

How come religions dream up all these ridiculous ideas about dress, and killing, and so forth and so on? :confused::eek:

I'm all for free dress and so on, but jeezuss H.

We saw a lady last summer on the foreshore near our place...35 degree day; dressed in the black sheet, while the hubby and kids frolicked around in the Aussie cossies.

WTF?

Note to world; it is now 2014...not the year Mose's grandfather started shaving.

You realize the "black sheet" you're referring to/the one in the pic posted above isn't a burqa right?? If people are going to be discussing something that is the subject t of a fair but of conversation atm is it too much to ask for just a tiiiiiny but of accuracy??

There are very few burqas worn in this country yet it is the subject of so much debate. What people think are burqas are actually niqabs. If we're going to try and tell people what they can and cannot wear can we at least show them the respect to call the "offensive" bit of clothing by its right name?

Attachments

• 3074779601_1_7_pZPVZkhM.jpg
    3074779601_1_7_pZPVZkhM.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 51

Was driving down the MI last night and saw 2 MEN in a Holden ute with a sign on the back saying "Ban the Burka" in led"-flashing lights next too that was a sign marijuana should be legalised ,both looked like Bob-Marley just makes one think what a great country we live in,where we still have freedom of speech..

Niqab or burqa, they are both symbols of oppression and subjugation. No-one champions the rights of African women to have female circumcision performed on them. Noone champions the rights of sexually abused children who want to stay with the sexual abuser/perpetrator.

The niqab/burqa were foisted upon women by a patriarchal society; not because the women wanted it. That some women have now bought into the lie out of either fear or brainwashing, does not mean we have to support that dysfunction.

I have been on too many flights with women wearing the niqab, only to see them disappear into the toilets and come out Dior-ed from head to toe and wearing minier skirts than any Western woman would wear. That puts the kaibosh on the argument that women want to wear it.

And as Bayview said, why on earth would a woman choose to be garbed in head to toe in 40 degree weather while her children are playing in the water?

Who are you to decide if a woman is oppressed or not?

Is a nuns habit a symbol of oppression too? Granted this is not a niqab but has certainly been the subject of debate

Those women you've seen on flights may certainly be under pressure to wear the niqab if they've done what you described and that I completely disagree with but it doesn't mean it's the case always so why should it be banned?

Attachments

• IMG_37402862085795.jpeg
    IMG_37402862085795.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 51
Are these pictures symbol of oppression as well?

In the first photo, no. You will notice that both men and women are wearing headdress. That is the difference.

The second photo shows beautiful, colourful adornment--exactly the opposite of a niqab/burqa, whose aim is to disappear into the background, show no colour and certainly show no beauty.

Do you see Middle Eastern men forced to hide their face for fear of being too tantalising for the opposite sex and for fear that they may invite rape?

Back