Racism in Australia

I have never subscribed to the whole idea of all these important positions in various organisations/Government departments etc having a "quota" of folks to "balance" the ledger on race, colour, gender, etc.

Pig's @rse; the positions should always be filled by folks on their merits; their qualifications and suitability for the job..

If there's no women, or Aborigines, or Asians, or black, etc; too bad; that's how it falls..

It's all just PC cr@p in my view.

Exactly !

I wanted to apply for a job at local hospital as maintenance.

Aboriginal only apply killed that stone (age) dead!

The guy that got the job is not qualified at all and is lazy and does not show up every day expected.

That is just one of the many jobs in NSW Health that are now exclusively for Aboriginal only. Whites cannot apply.

So, we could be told that now we should see how it feels ?

Ok, no worries. Feels like crap. But hey, did I personally do something bad to Aborigines?
No. They are my friends and co-workers and fellow citizens.

PC crowd has gone completely mad and sure, there is racism in Australia, like anywhere, including "reverse" racism.

The fact some people yell out that word at any opportunity says a heck of a lot against the PC crowd. Very sim ilar to Climate "Change".:rolleyes:

Just my poinion and experiences with these at first hand.

That is just one of the many jobs in NSW Health that are now exclusively for Aboriginal only. Whites cannot apply.

So, we could be told that now we should see how it feels ? .

This is about righting a wrong TF. Spare a thought for the fact that our indigenous brothers and sisters lost their country, their land, their dignity due to the new arrivals post 1788.

A century ago (before Centrelink existed) they were forced to work. Forget about equal pay. They had their wages docked because "aw these lazy innocents won't know what to do with their own money" and much of that money has yet to be returned! And let's not forget that prior to 1967 they were not allowed to vote.

Aborigines were only considered equals when they enlisted in the Armed Forces. Nevertheless, when a bunch of Aboriginal soldiers served in the Boer War, they were not allowed to return to Australia due to the new White Australia Policy.

We should not feel ashamed for the transgressions of our forefathers - we had no part in it. But unless we right the wrongs of the past and acknowledge the injustices, we will never amount to much.

It is illegal to question the ethnicity of someone in Australia based on the colour of their skin. If the are offended that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never subscribed to the whole idea of all these important positions in various organisations/Government departments etc having a "quota" of folks to "balance" the ledger on race, colour, gender, etc.

I agree - and it's not just government.

Hubby's work (mining) had to fill a process engineers job - and the applicant had to be "female". Only problem is that the position needed not only intelligence and skill, but also heavy lifting in a filthy environment.

It two nearly 6 months and several rounds of advertising to find a female who would fit the criteria - all while there were dozens of fully qualified blokes out there searching for work.

Even being female - sorry - I don't agree

Leann said:
I started looking for a job and I found one at a local Sydney restaurant. The head chef was from Vietnam, the other two workers in the kitchen were from China and the manager/floor manager was from Vietnam as well. I worked there a couple of days but not one person spoke to me or were friendly towards me, I tried to be friendly asking them how long they worked there etc and made small talk but each time they answers were simple and they had no interest in having a conversation with me. I was fired 2 days later as I was told I did not fit in and was good enough. The funny thing is the head chef had no clue how to even cook a steak for this "Aussie Pub Food Grill" in a local hotel. he did not even season the steak or let it rest. The only person that was friendly to me was the Aussie barman who had worked there for many years.

Leann was a new employee in a kitchen and already quickly decided she knew more than the head chef, rather than take a different attitude and first try to see if the chef cook had anything different to lean from.
With that attitude I do believe they told Leann the truth , that she was let go because she did not fit it.
I don't think it was anything to do with race otherwise they would not hire Leann in the first place, they could chose not to.

I agree - and it's not just government.

Hubby's work (mining) had to fill a process engineers job - and the applicant had to be "female". Only problem is that the position needed not only intelligence and skill, but also heavy lifting in a filthy environment.
It two nearly 6 months and several rounds of advertising to find a female who would fit the criteria - all while there were dozens of fully qualified blokes out there searching for work.

Even being female - sorry - I don't agree

When a workplace intends to hire a person with special characteristics, it is expected that it modifies its practices and setup to be ready to accommodate the person with special characteristics. Just advertising for someone to fill the position and not have the setup to accommodate the person is not realistic. So, if heavy lifting is required, equipment has to be provided to assist the lifting expected of the proposed type of worker. If 'filthy' environment is encountered, work process has to be modified to accommodate female workers. If this attitude is not adopted in the workplace, they should stick to advertising for the requirement for the job without referencing to gender required as obviously it is not cognisant of its responsibility. It is not surprising that it has not filled the position. :rolleyes:

When a workplace intends to hire a person with special characteristics, it is expected that it modifies its practices and setup to be ready to accommodate the person with special characteristics. Just advertising for someone to fill the position and not have the setup to accommodate the person is not realistic. So, if heavy lifting is required, equipment has to be provided to assist the lifting expected of the proposed type of worker. If 'filthy' environment is encountered, work process has to be modified to accommodate female workers. If this attitude is not adopted in the workplace, they should stick to advertising for the requirement for the job without referencing to gender required as obviously it is not cognisant of its responsibility. It is not surprising that it has not filled the position. :rolleyes:
This is the failure of the workplace to identify suitable areas for employment for minorities, and is just dumb quota-filling that undermines genuine attempts to balance workforce characteristics. I don't think they should modify the workplace, they should be more sensible about where females and other races can add value with different perspectives

This is about righting a wrong TF. Spare a thought for the fact that our indigenous brothers and sisters lost their country, their land, their dignity due to the new arrivals post 1788.

A century ago (before Centrelink existed) they were forced to work. Forget about equal pay. They had their wages docked because "aw these lazy innocents won't know what to do with their own money" and much of that money has yet to be returned! And let's not forget that prior to 1967 they were not allowed to vote.

Aborigines were only considered equals when they enlisted in the Armed Forces. Nevertheless, when a bunch of Aboriginal soldiers served in the Boer War, they were not allowed to return to Australia due to the new White Australia Policy.

We should not feel ashamed for the transgressions of our forefathers - we had no part in it. But unless we right the wrongs of the past and acknowledge the injustices, we will never amount to much.
The previous treatment of Aborigines has been somewhere between lamentable and appalling, and no doubt acknowledgment is required. Righting the wrongs? Only to the people who were wronged. At the same time, there has to be a meeting in the middle. For instance, I've heard of government workplaces allowing Aboriginals to do a walk-about, which is apparently cultural. If they're taking leave or going unpaid to do so, absolutely support it. If not, that's garbage.

Very selective reading of my post and then create a straw man to demolish! Women are different from man as Green Eye said. Of course to have both women and men work together in certain field which have been the traditional area of men the worksite has to be changed to accommodate the women. I said that already. It is the glaring obvious that some companies seem to deny the difference of sexes and not modify the traditional worksite and then expect to recruit a female worker, which is the point I was making. So, my post is not nonsense, rather the shenanigan some companies are up to that should be complete nonsense.
Agree, this is what I've said above. They've undermined the person who successfully gets that position IMO

To be honest I don't think it's possible for any first generation migrant to learn English well. Maybe if you're from France or Spain it might be easier, but try going to another country at the age of 30 and learn a whole new language from an entirely different family.

I disagree with this. My parents were in their thirties when we emigrated to Australia from Eastern Europe and back then all they were ever taught at school in terms of foreign languages was Russian. So no English background whatsoever and they speak excellent English now, albeit understandably with an accent. They made a point of not settling in an area where a large number of their own nationality resided, and they took advantage of the free English language education provided by the local TAFE (hopefully such things are still offered today).

How quickly you learn another language depends upon how much shy you are and how many mistakes you are willing to make in front of others.

True to an extent, although again using my own parents as an example, they're both quite introverted and do not seek out the company of other people, and yet they still learned. They did take classes and seek employment though which obviously goes a long way towards learning a language.

From another thread. You can see why I thought you were Jewish.

Misconception that only Jewish people were victims of the horrors of WWI/II.

Ofthevultures, yes, my parents speak English quite well too. However, it's not the same for everyone. Because your parents and my parents learned to speak English, it doesn't mean that all migrants do, for whatever reason. You can't judge someone until you walk a mile in their shoes.

The topic of the thread is racism. We would prefer to keep it on that track. If somebody wishes to discuss another topic, please start a new thread- or respond to other threads on that topic.

They made a point of not settling in an area where a large number of their own nationality resided, and they took advantage of the free English language education provided by the local TAFE (hopefully such things are still offered today).
I do agree it's important for migrants and expats to integrate into the local wildlife by taking classes, joining clubs, etc. But it can be hard, particularly for non-Westerners, especially since they'll be clearly marked as 'outsiders'.

It even works the other way. Go to Thailand, Japan and other Asian countries, and you'll see Westerner expats living in their own enclaves, hanging out with other Westerners, refusing to speak more than a few words of the local phrase (one of them being "Do you speak English?").

It's funny - I think English speakers are the worst when it comes to any form of integration. If you were German or Japanese and went into an Australian store loudly demanding if the clerk speaks German/Japanese, you'd get some nasty reactions. But outside the Anglo world, it's the norm.

Back