Racism in Australia

I do agree it's important for migrants and expats to integrate into the local wildlife by taking classes, joining clubs, etc. But it can be hard, particularly for non-Westerners, especially since they'll be clearly marked as 'outsiders'.

It even works the other way. Go to Thailand, Japan and other Asian countries, and you'll see Westerner expats living in their own enclaves, hanging out with other Westerners, refusing to speak more than a few words of the local phrase (one of them being "Do you speak English?").

It's funny - I think English speakers are the worst when it comes to any form of integration. If you were German or Japanese and went into an Australian store loudly demanding if the clerk speaks German/Japanese, you'd get some nasty reactions. But outside the Anglo world, it's the norm.

My grandparents came out here after the war. They didn't speak a lot of English, but they made something of themselves. Worked hard, built up quite a nice property portfolio. Many immigrant families have the same or similar story.

If people choose to live in Australia, they can at least try to learn English and stop using the language barrier as an excuse. I don't expect them to assimilate or anything like that, if they want to live in little pockets of their own communities, that's cool. In fact, I encourage it. It's great because it allows me to experience a little piece of their culture and check out some awesome food/traditions, etc. Just don't whinge about how your life is so hard and there's discrimination about this, that and everything else.

As I stated in one of the posts that was deleted, people have three choices:

1. they can act like perma-victims, sucking their thumbs and expecting everyone to hand them what they want and complaining about discrimination and racism when they don't get it.

2. they can go out and find the opportunities that are out there for everyone, no matter their race, colour, religion, gender, creed... whatever, okay.

3. if said opportunities are *not* available, then create them.

As I stated in one of the posts that was deleted, people have three choices:

1. they can act like perma-victims, sucking their thumbs and expecting everyone to hand them what they want and complaining about discrimination and racism when they don't get it.

2. they can go out and find the opportunities that are out there for everyone, no matter their race, colour, religion, gender, creed... whatever, okay.

3. if said opportunities are *not* available, then create them.
Bloody brilliant!!

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea of the "lazy immigrant" from. If anything, most immigrants actually work much harder than the local populace - they have to, if they want to survive.

As for whinging...do you mean locals who whinge about immigrants stealing their jobs and working longer hours?

Integration isn't as easy as you make it out. But personally, I can't see the problem. Generally, only the first generation immigrant finds it hard to integrate. After that, their children, and their children's children, tend to fit perfectly into local culture. Most 2nd/3rd gen immigrants I know are as local as you can get. (Other than their skin colour - which some people have a problem with)

(Also, I'm curious how you define integration, beyond speaking English fluently.)

That is just one of the many jobs in NSW Health that are now exclusively for Aboriginal only. Whites cannot apply.
Discrimination?

Oh, noooo...can't mention that one.

On that note; what about "women only" gyms,

And; nowadays Golf Clubs are not allowed to stop women from playing in the Saturday Comp (for decades the doyen of the Gentlemen only), and have to run a separate comp for them on the day - yet the men can't play in the Women's Comp...not even allowed to put their names on the timesheet. :rolleyes:

Of course; if the men could be bothered; they could easily mount a challenge to get that wrong righted, but the men couldn't really care less, as it turns out.

And so forth and so on.

Every body turn to your left and slap the person next to you in the head with your right hand.

Hi bob, not sure where you get the idea that I suggested that immigrants are lazy!
I assumed from your tone that you did not see immigrants in the best of light. The "suck it up, nancy" advice you offered is actually already being followed by most immigrants (in fact, it's the blueprint for most economic migrants in Australia).

If anything, that advice would be better directed at locals!

Hi bob, not sure where you get the idea that I suggested that immigrants are lazy!

May be some other posts suggested. If not, let me do it :)

Yes, there are lazy immigrants including the economic ones. Just want centerlink pay for everything and make more babies to increase the benefits. There are hard working ones, there are lazy ones, there are aggressive ones and so on. Certain communities. If I write here which are which, that is racism!

I assumed from your tone that you did not see immigrants in the best of light. The "suck it up, nancy" advice you offered is actually already being followed by most immigrants (in fact, it's the blueprint for most economic migrants in Australia).

I'm a bit confused. The very first paragraph in my post is this:

Mr. Fabulous said:
My grandparents came out here after the war. They didn't speak a lot of English, but they made something of themselves. Worked hard, built up quite a nice property portfolio. Many immigrant families have the same or similar story.

I've known personally and worked with literally dozens of immigrants over the years. I don't need to be convinced that they are hard workers.

What I am tired of hearing - and you can read it for yourself in this thread - is people that have a victim mentality and blame everything that goes wrong in their lives or if they don't get what they want on 'racism'.

Well, to be honest, those kind of people exist in all communities and groups. Replace "immigrants" with almost any group of people, and it'd be the same.

I'd be careful about dismissing the victim mentality. Your immigrant grandparents likely had it easier due to their European appearance, but many others (including those born here) will still face discrimination due purely to their appearance. I've heard people born overseas telling local-born non-Europeans to "go back to where they came from"!

I agree that people shouldn't use racism (or any other 'ism') as an excuse to fail, but nor is it easy to dismiss when someone is actually confronted with it.

What is the point of view? That picking on people subjectively based on dress difference alone is nothing less than bullying and intolerance. It infringes on someone else's right to peace, privacy, coexistence and courtesy. I do not think that it is necessarily racism as opposed to what the video wants to promote against - Islamophobia. Now that is a different debate.

I have pretty screwed up ideas on all this, for example I applied for 2 jobs recently but both of the jobs went to young Chinese students as they were faster and accepted cheap rates. Now I think I'm useless and too old to get a job anymore.

I hate Australia day and flag waving patriotism, I never go to the celebrations with drunk bogans and flags, you will find me hiding at home watching a French movie or painting.

I hate Australia day and flag waving patriotism, I never go to the celebrations with drunk bogans and flags, you will find me hiding at home watching a French movie or painting.

Hi leann,
You are the same as the rest of us oldies on this subject (drunk bogans). I would imagine many of us spend long weekends painting too, or building decks, or renovating kitchens :)

Last weekend I attended a festival in a little country town in SEQ. I considered wearing my motorcycle helmet into the cafe when we ordered lunch. After all, if people can wear burkas and such in shops, then why am I expected to remove my helmet (with dark tinted visor) whenever I enter a shop? It is inconvenient getting my long hair tucked neatly back up inside it.

Last weekend I attended a festival in a little country town in SEQ. I considered wearing my motorcycle helmet into the cafe when we ordered lunch. After all, if people can wear burkas and such in shops, then why am I expected to remove my helmet (with dark tinted visor) whenever I enter a shop? It is inconvenient getting my long hair tucked neatly back up inside it.

I agree with you Angel. Why should people wearing burqas or niqabs not be subject to the same rules as the rest of us?

After all, if people can wear burkas and such in shops, then why am I expected to remove my helmet (with dark tinted visor) whenever I enter a shop?
Because taking off the helmet doesn't violate your belief system, perhaps?

Because wearing the burqa is not about "convenience".

Having said that, I wouldn't care if you left your helmet on. "Seeing somebody's face" is not a right.

Work at Federal Parliament and go through security. You would be glad that those security officers had the 'right' to see your face and anybody else's.
If they've done their jobs and confirmed that I have no weapons, and I've been identified (once, discreetly), there's no reason why the face needs to be kept on display throughout the visit.

I was in the military for years. Nearly every person on base can be described as "it was a guy wearing camouflage gear, a felt hat, and had short hair", yet somehow they manage to maintain security. Security does not rely on every individual being visually distinct from everybody else.

522629-army-chief-lieutenant-general-david-morrison.jpg

Back