Recommended Tradies and Other Useful Contacts

Hi.

I'm reading this thread with interested as I am in the process of extension our current home (in Adelaide) and I just got quoted $120K plus GST for a brick 40 sqm 1xopen plan family room with new ensuite for the other room (see attachment in RED)! :eek:

Does this price a bit excessive? Any recommendations for a builder/trader in Adelaide for a different quote?

Thank you.

Wow that does seem excessive! We normally build brand new homes (although there is a difference in pricing between new homes & extensions) 3bds, 2 bathrooms etc for that price! Unfortunately cannot recommend a Builder because all the ones we've used have been crappy! My advice is to keep getting quotes, we normally get about 20 quotes for each home we build and the price always varies significantly...more than $200K difference between cheapest and most expensive in some cases!

$55 per square metre?

Hang on a minute, let me get my glasses for a minute.

I got 4 well recommended tilers in sydney and there charging $38-$40 per sqm even with materials.

I know most ppl say atleast get 3 quotes, but with me, i always get 5-10 tradies to give me quotes.

Do you mind sharing these?

lol and I thought $55 was good...

Thanks

Gday all, any recommendations for builders in Scarborough / Moreton Bay QLD area for small reno projects that will manage the following?

- Floor Polishing
- Gyprock walls / Insulation
- Painting internal walls / ceiling
- Minor removals, demolishing, eg. tiles, remove stove
- Install doors, door locks
- Install basins / face washers
- Simple plumbing, eg. taps
- Minor electrical, eg. new light fittings

Hi Leeman,
I have been trying to encouraging myself not to get discouraged by tradies sometimes--since some of them really do scare us away by their exorbitant quotos. But I keep trying, till I get a reasonable quote--sometimes, I get polite but direct by asking them to give me a very rough estimation (for quote) before coming, I would say, well, I am doing this to respect/save your precious time, as well as mine of course...eg, I finally got a quote for colorbond fencing for roughly $55/m (1.8m high, supply and installed) recently after a lot of $70-75/m quotes...but well, for granny flat building, I have just started becoming serious recently, and will try to do some process by myself as a way of learning (I have a rough estimating if I do the project mgt myself, I would like to get it done $55k-$60 altogether something). But since am recently a bit of short of cash and waiting for my shares price to come up and get them selled, I am actually doing all the things slowly.

Would certainly like to share the granny flat builders/tradies info with you, but at this stage since I haven't used any of them myself yet, can't say for sure I could do any recommendations yet.

Kind regards.
Serena

Hi Serena

I would love to get the contact details for the colorbond installer fro you! we were gonna do it ourselves but hubby dislocated his shoulder :(

Can share a couple of tradies' details with you, but i will get their ok first.

Thanks!

I dont have any recommended tradies but am looking for some!!!

I am moving to the Wollongong area next week and need to find recommended builders, kitchen reno guys, painters, and floor sanders. Any suggestions???

Yes please, I'm looking for a good plumber that is available to fix my garage roof leakage due to the faulty plumbing on the bathroom above.

Looking for the following (in Perth):

exterior painter
tuck pointer
pool fence builder
someone who can work out why pool is leaking (skimmer or pool itself)
builder to remove a wall (registered)
roof repairer (tile roof)

Colorbond and timber fences

We have now used Amazing Fences for both timber and colorbond fences in Sydney. I got about 3 quotes and they came in the cheapest.

The first job they did was for about 40 lineal metres and their fencer, AJ, did the entire job in 1 day. He was 'amazing' - heheh.

We liked them so much that we booked them again for our next house about 6 months later and they sent a guy named Troy. Boy, was Troy a dill. He took 6 days to do about the same amount of fencing and he was slow, slow, slow. We wanted our fences as close as possible to the ground due to our dogs and Troy argued again and again with us until we had to get the area manager out to tell him to do it the way we wanted.

Lucky we weren't living there at the time as we would have had to pay extra to keep our dogs in kennels for an entire week instead of 1 day.

I would use them again, but I would specify AJ to do our fencing in future.

Cost per lineal meter for stepped colorbond was approximately $62.

Bumping this thread - anyone have tradies they can recommend?

We are looking for someone to renovate our kitchen, bathroom and laundry in Sydney's Inner West, and we also need to build a new deck. Need to find someone reliable and quick to manage it all, as we can't be there everyday.

Is it reasonable to get this all lined up, order materials, cabinets etc and then when the property is next vacant get in and turn it around in 3-4 weeks?

Thanks! :D

a lot of contacts in this thread are no longer in their trade or are no longer in business

If you want good and cheap tradespeople, ring some local property managers, say you are preparing your property to lease out (to give them the idea they might get your business) and say you need to fix a couple of things first and if they know anyone in the area who can help

Usually PM's have sourced the best people in the area already

Thanks Saiman, mmm, good point!
My PM has recommended some good tradies. I'll ask them about a plumber.
Strata-recommended tradies are always terribly overpriced. Even though strata claim they don't get commission. I have no choice but to go with their choice for strata issues though.

a lot of contacts in this thread are no longer in their trade or are no longer in business

If you want good and cheap tradespeople, ring some local property managers, say you are preparing your property to lease out (to give them the idea they might get your business) and say you need to fix a couple of things first and if they know anyone in the area who can help

Usually PM's have sourced the best people in the area already

this is what i suggest to people that ring me for advice

Good Idea! I can recommend Ezigreen Solutions in Sydney for insulation and roof vacuuming/cleaning. They did a great job for me, free quotes etc I also saw on their website that they do solar powered sub floor and roof ventilation too if anyone needs that. Cheers, if i need a tradesman, will def check thru the posts.

Can I suggest we also sticky up a price guide to trades (excluding materials), that way we get some good idea in terms of pricing per sqm/ballpark pricing.

If anyone also knows of a good roof carpenter, please let me know or post in this thread

Hi guys...any recommendations for a Carpenter and a pest control person in Sydney? Looks like most of the recommended tradies in this forum are no longer in business?

Back