Seen any great movies lately

Saw Philomena and The Book Thief over the last two weeks, both sad but profound. As a Catholic, my response to Philomena was ..I guess, different from the rest. Judi Dench in Philomena was super but Geoffrey Rush in The Book Thief was just so special.

MTR, recommend both ..

Saw Gravity last night which I thought was pretty good. Not normally into the space movies but can recommend this one. Probably because it had George Clooney in it :)

Did most of us watch WOWS two nights ago? I'm in a minority then ;-)

I think he meant he watched the sequel nights ago.

I watched Goodfellas again and highly recommended it if you are interested in filmmaking and want to see what a real movie should look like. Notice the tracking shots Scorsese uses, in particular the scene where Ray Liotta enters the bar through the back entrance and walks through the kitchen to be given a table at the front of a stand up set. The whole scene was done in one take. It is pure genius. This film really set the bench mark for movies and is used in film school. When Frank Darabont was shooting the Shawshank Redemption, he watched Goodfellas everyday for inspiration.

Cuing up a bunch of Phillip Seymour Hoffman's movies to watch..

-Capote
-Synecdoche, NY
-Doubt
-Owning Mahowny
-The Master

I remember seeing him on film for the first time in "Scent of a Woman." He was so convincing as a bratty, rich kid and such an odd looking fellow that he stuck in my mind. Rest in peace Phillip.

We just saw Gravity today.

Fantastic special effects, and fantastic to watch in 3D, but a lightweight and unbelievable script.

In other words, Gravity lacked Gravitas.

Went and saw The Wolf of Wall Street ,,Wife walked after the Lady from the Gold Coast was standing in the doorway,never saw anything after that..

Saw the Dallas Buyers Club today I think it's brilliant,then saw Last Vegas at least the "Wife" did not cry when we saw Last-Vegas the boss had a few tear-drop explodes during the Dallas-Buyers-Club..

Watched The Talented Mr. Ripley last night and 25th Hour last week as part of my Phillip Seymour Hoffman movie binge tribute. Enjoyed both. Did a double take at how young the stars of The Talented Mr. Ripley were in 1999 (Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gweneth Palthrow, Cate Blanchett and of course PSH).

Cuing up a bunch of Phillip Seymour Hoffman's movies to watch..

-Capote
-Synecdoche, NY
-Doubt
-Owning Mahowny
-The Master

I remember seeing him on film for the first time in "Scent of a Woman." He was so convincing as a bratty, rich kid and such an odd looking fellow that he stuck in my mind. Rest in peace Phillip.

Watched "Enemy at the Gates" tonight with No.1 son.

True WWII story about a Russian sniper who picked off loads of German soldiers at the battle of Stalingrad.

Jude Law, Rachel Weisz, Ed Harris, Bob Hoskins and Joseph Feinnes.

Pretty good movie; a bit of a similar "feel" and visual as "Saving Private Ryan".

Portrayed the horrors of war quite well.

Last edited:
Back