Smeg oven / cooktop

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody has any feedback on Smeg ovens. We are looking at doing a kitchen reno and my wife would love a new oven. We have looked at Smeg ovens and have found some really good deals.

Any feedback on what they are like??? :confused:

Thank you in advance :)

GG

I've had three of them - different properties. I reckon they're good.

Wish I bought a 900mm wide one when I did the most recent kitchen reno.

bought a m/wave oven... useless piece of overpirced junk. shou dhave bought the panasonic, stonger, better, cheaper. after i boguth it I think i noted that it was made in korea

as with cars, jap is best, aussie is good value, euro is for the fancy label

smeg make another brand as well...exactly the same thing as smeg.....ill get the name for you, way cheaper than smeg....i think its to compete against cheaper imports.

all these european brands are often overated though...

back soon with the name...ive a got a smeg myself and saw some info on a booklet about this other brand

All my Smeg gear is manufactured in the EU, probably Poland or one of those cheap labor places.

Smeg?

I rate its reliability 2/10. Overpriced junks. Lemons.

I had Smeg's in my previous ppor, oven, cooktop, rangehood and dishwasher - All had problem, very disheartening when I paid premium price for them, from a reputable store in Melbourne east.

It was a frustrated dilemma: It costs $$$ either to repair or to replace.

Search past posts for "Smeg".

I would vote for Bosch instead, on reliability.

:)

I'm on about my 4th Smeg oven and I love them. Last year I upgraded to this ripper, the SA92MFX5:

Product_135_590_270x345.jpg

I will admit I've had a Smeg dishwasher which I was "less than rapt" with, and I haven't had any microwaves, but Smeg ovens are IMHO brilliant and worth every cent. Their customer service is exceptional. I moved into a rental years ago which had a bunch of Smeg appliances and I couldn't figure out how to use any of them. I rang Smeg, admitted I was a tenant, and asked if I could buy replacement manuals. "Oh, no, you don't have to pay, we'll send them to you", and they sent me a handful of manuals, and threw in a couple of Smeg cookbooks.

That investment by Smeg paid off handsomely - I've since purchased three of my own. :)

One of my Smeg ovens had something go wrong with it when it was about 3 1/2 years old, and I think I had a 2-year warranty. I rang up the Smeg service people and told them it was 3 1/2 years old. They said they'd fix it under warranty: "close enough".

I can't speak highly enough of their customer service.

Miele for me, ovens fantastic, pricey yes, but not one issue in 8+ years so far, keeps clean - even the glass and has even heat throughout the oven so food cooks evenly.

Microwaves - Panasonic, otherwise the Sharp's are good bang for buck.

Other cheaper alternatives would be bosch appliances, higher range mostly made in Germany, double check the make of the lower spec range, similar build and quality to Miele.

I'd love a commercial cooktop one day though such as from the Viking brand, but you also need the room!

I'm on about my 4th Smeg oven and I love them. Last year I upgraded to this ripper, the SA92MFX5:
... Smeg ovens are IMHO brilliant and worth every cent. Their customer service is exceptional...

Perp,

Feel happy that you had an exceptional experience with Smeg.

This was my experience:

(1) Oven
- The top electrical cooking element melted, deshaped and drooped down like a crooked piece of instant noodle. The ceramic surrounded its copper core was cracked, burnt and showed the electrical core
- The black plastic rings around the switch controls shrunk and fell off its holes
- The timer died, not working
- The inside lining of the oven was always yucky, greasy (not covered by the fat absorption material)

(2) Rangehood
- The plastic light cover were deshaped (no longer fit properly) and cracked broken badly
- The sliding out tracks were broken with all little metal balls fell off
- The plastic air filter lock mechanism was broken
- The on/off switch was designed facing down therefore covered full with grease
- The fan and electrical control switches were designed on top, inside the pull out element (can't see unless I stand up on something high, like a chair)

(3) Cooktop
- The black plastic rings around the switch controls shrunk and fell off its holes. Some were burned.

(4) Dishwasher
- The electrical capacitor died twice. Costed $200 each time to replace
(This component controls the washing cycles. When it dies, the machine just stays stuck in a wash cycle, won't move to the next ==> Dishes don't get washed)

My Smeg customer service experience?
Pretty good at $120 charge per visit that include the free first 15 mins. Additional labour charge and part cost thereafter.

Lesson learnt?
"Never, never again"
:mad:

Back