Some people are making it harder...

That is a good reply Monoply. I had a laugh at the conclusions that could be drawn about someone doing seemingly endless renovations.

Whilst I am open with my three friends that I see every week, and who know our financial position, I also tend not to say too much to people who know a "little" about what we do, because they tend to think we have dozens of houses and rolling in money, which is not how it is.

Sometimes when I am put in a position that I do tell someone (sisters-in-law for example) something about what we have done, I make sure to tell them that we have a HUGE loan so that they don't put me in the "rich" category :D.

But really, I couldn't give too much of a toss about who thinks what of me, except my immediate family.

while the rest of the circle were discussing the usual who is sleeping with who and why is it so hard to find a decent man in Newman topics..
Maybe because the only men left are intimidated (at even hearing such conversations)!! Perhaps they need to focus on the important things in their own lives rather than those of others (which is frankly none of their business)!! :eek: This kind of behaviour is enough to make the most gorgeous of creature look ugly to a potential admirer (of any worth).
My question I guess is why would people keep trying to talk to their family/friends about their investment portfolio once they know they are not interested?
Because of their ill-conceived notion that unconditional love associated with being part of their family and/or friend will mean these poor souls are supposed to endure this crap!! :(

Maybe because the only men left are intimidated (at even hearing such conversations)!! Perhaps they need to focus on the important things in their own lives rather than those of others (which is frankly none of their business)!! :eek: This kind of behaviour is enough to make the most gorgeous of creature look ugly to a potential admirer (of any worth).

He he, it was a girls soccer BBQ so the only man there was our coach. Poor guy he is so intimidated by us already probably even more so now.

No disrespect meant, but I would suspect with a comment like this that you don't have a large portfolio.

We had nothing but positive comments when mentioning the first purchase. A few less, but still positive on purchase of the second. Probably neutral on the third, then downright nasty "tall-poppy" type comments on the fourth.:confused:

You soon learn to keep your mouth shut, unless asked.

a bit late returning to this thread but to skater's point, no disrespect taken...portfolio isn't that large, just 7 properties at the mo, looking to add since we've recently moved back down under :)

Although I do understand what you mean by the 'tall poppy' syndrome and its pervasiveness so can definitely see why you would keep the mouth shut, I would do the same given that situation. But still stand by my original comment :)

Tis an oldish thread ...

My parents don't 'get' what we are doing. They think we are utterly broke, that house prices are set to go down something dramatic (a relative recently made a large loss in Perth) and they actually offered us their old car because they figured we'd never get any extra money in the near future. My car is about 9yo, theirs is about 4yo but ours is a somewhat battered hatch that we can fit a load of stuff in the back, theirs is a sedan so impossible to carry the same amount of building supplies. If we accepted theirs (we didn't) they would have lost a fortune in tradein value as ours is so much older and so high mileage and we would have instantly traded theirs in for something bigger. At the time it seemed odd as we had just borrowed off them for our new build but they want to give us a car worth considerably more than the borrowed amount.

I'd still strongly prefer to sell both our 'spare' houses and then get a small city IP and a brand new local IP rather than an old one. Selling either 'spare' house would comfortably get us a bigger car and/or the bulk of our new house - would also mean we wouldn't have a 100% lend for a PPoR and 20% lends for IPs if we do it that way. They don't appreciate how little we owe vs the value of the houses.

We're also having an extremely tight month financially and another relative gave us $2000 which they took to repay our debt to them when we would have infinitely preferred to pay our bills first and then pay my parents back the way we originally organised. Partner was quite pissed off because they didn't even ask us first - they had told us we were getting some money, but not how much, so zero upfront was a bit unexpected. Fortunately I managed to weasel the bills forward into April but we're still having a very tight month and will be rolling in cash in a few weeks.

Our finances are crazy and noone has a clue what we're doing and its soooo hard to explain ...

Great thread.

I have a similar thing with my family.

They don't understand me starting up my business that I'm passionate about, they prefer me to stay in my safe job/contract position because I was earning 200k, even though I hated it and counted every second of the day passing until 5pm struck then I was out the door. Again, the business can generate heaps more than that eventually once it gets off the ground, but will take 1-3 years to establish which is the sacrifice, but I can't explain that to them. They don't seem to have any "vision" that some great/worthwhile things are created, not instant.

Likewise with properties, they encourage me to buy the safe/typical overpriced family homes and be stuck there forever in my boring-as-hell 200k job paying it off forever - hating my life :p If there is any tiny mention of an element of risk, they are pretty much against it. Totally because they fear what they don't understand.

Conclusion: I have learnt 100% not to mention anything about business/property to them and just live my own life and be happy. I'm sure they'll wanna talk more about it when they see it paying off more and more down the track. I can't stand Australia's tall poppy syndrome, it's so ingrained into the culture and I used to cop it in the workplace all the time too because I was so young in the positions I worked in (and was 100% qualified and experienced for).

Yikes, I'll have your 200k a year job :eek: Not bothered how boring it is, could be fermenting the strainings of the Devils underpants for that :D

Likewise with my family, safe is best. they've had the money to invest but never really have, always worrying for the next bust to ruin it all.
As for the majority of my friends, Credit cards and purchasing popularity is much more fun.

I'm sure they'll wanna talk more about it when they see it paying off more and more down the track.

Hi Recruit, please don't hold your breath. It can be even harder to swallow when it is proving to have been the correct decision. Enjoy the journey and the rewards it brings for what it is.

Gools

there's always going to be people who try to bring you down from your big dreams, most of the time they are family and friends unfortunately!

When you fail they are there to say 'should have listened' When you succeed they won't say anything or if they are big enough they'll say 'glad you didn't listen to me'

Basically I take what they have to say into consideration if it sounds reasonable, but I think I just ignore most of it, cus most of it is negative. If I listened to them I would never get anywhere in life.

I'm willing to fail and try again until I succeed, they are not, simply as that.

Do your research and have a plan, have a backup plan, stick to it and that's all you can do.

Family always compete. Eg your uncle would probably want you to fail so his kids could look better. Your cousins will think the same way.

Your father could even think the same way if he has other children.

So basically, blood is NOT thicker than water. I would drink blood any day of the year like drinking water

they prefer me to stay in my safe job/contract position because I was earning 200k, even though I hated it and counted every second of the day passing until 5pm struck then I was out the door.

Or, you could be a mechanic at my place; my boys are working in an icebox in the winter, and a sauna in the summer for $50k per year, filthy dirty.

The tissues are over on the sideboard.

marc, why do you feel your last sentence was necessary. To me, that is tall poppy syndrome in acton. The man says he is not happy in his job, nothing about the pay not being enough to compensate him, and you dismiss and put down his concern because he earns "a lot". Puzzling

marc, why do you feel your last sentence was necessary.

It's not puzzling at all.

It's constantly hearing limp wristed slack jawed weiners whinging and moaning and complaining about how life is soooo tough and how they are soooo sick of this and that. "But I am airing a genuine concern and greivance that needs to be heard." Bahhh.

It's much more refreshing to hear grown men just zip the mouth, get a steely look of determination on their face, grit their teeth and quietly go about engineering whatever they wish to occur, given the resources and abilities at their disposal. Time and effort shall prevail.

No moaning is required. No quarter asked. No quarter given. No empathy required. No sympathy asked for.

Just get on with it.

Spend a day or two with the SAS and you'll know what I'm talking about. They make do, they get by, they exceed where the vast majority fail. They never whinge, they never moan, they never bleat, they never "verbalise their emotions". No mummy's boys there.

Just get on with it.

I knowwhat you mean about what Marc said Dazz, I just thought what recrtuit2 had posted was in inline with the point of this thread, it wasn't just him.her starting a thread abotu "woe is me"

Family always compete. Eg your uncle would probably want you to fail so his kids could look better. Your cousins will think the same way.

Your father could even think the same way if he has other children.

So basically, blood is NOT thicker than water. I would drink blood any day of the year like drinking water

Hah that's awesome. Well said. I find the same thing.

Last edited:
Or, you could be a mechanic at my place; my boys are working in an icebox in the winter, and a sauna in the summer for $50k per year, filthy dirty.

The tissues are over on the sideboard.

Been there, done that (and on much less than 50k) among other gritty/low paying jobs I've had over the years. People are at different stages of their life/career/plan - not everyone on a high income was born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Last edited:
It's not puzzling at all.

It's constantly hearing limp wristed slack jawed weiners whinging and moaning and complaining about how life is soooo tough and how they are soooo sick of this and that. "But I am airing a genuine concern and greivance that needs to be heard." Bahhh.

It's much more refreshing to hear grown men just zip the mouth, get a steely look of determination on their face, grit their teeth and quietly go about engineering whatever they wish to occur, given the resources and abilities at their disposal. Time and effort shall prevail.

No moaning is required. No quarter asked. No quarter given. No empathy required. No sympathy asked for.

Just get on with it.

Spend a day or two with the SAS and you'll know what I'm talking about. They make do, they get by, they exceed where the vast majority fail. They never whinge, they never moan, they never bleat, they never "verbalise their emotions". No mummy's boys there.

Just get on with it.

Good points Dazz and agree totally. Time is definitely spent focused on changing things for the future.

They don't understand me starting up my business that I'm passionate about, they prefer me to stay in my safe job/contract position because I was earning 200k, even though I hated it and counted every second of the day passing until 5pm struck then I was out the door. Again, the business can generate heaps more than that eventually once it gets off the ground, but will take 1-3 years to establish which is the sacrifice, but I can't explain that to them. They don't seem to have any "vision" that some great/worthwhile things are created, not instant.

What was the job you gave up to run your business?

Back