State of Australian housing market

Correct. Do share traders simple stop trading when the stockmarket goes down and switch trades and go into property? Are they idiots for continuing trading stock during such times? No. They simply adjust to market conditions.

Property or shares.. they are just asset classes one invests in. One simply adopts different strategies during good, bad and so-so times.

You're saying there's only 2 choices between shares or property? Lol you're talking about mums and dads yea? Sorry don't deal with them ever...

deltaberry I never assumed your wealth or investment activities and their scale unlike you have so ammusingly with me.

Perhaps the difference between you and me is that I use my real name on this forum, each of my posts has my signature and a reference to my website. Perhaps you would like to pull your head in a little and read up on me before you try and beat your chest because you have really bemused me with this post. From my own experience people who say cliche lines like "I'm more involved in the multi-million dollar developments and land holdings haha" really dont do much at all.

Anyways your understanding is still flawed I am sorry. Market value is an estimate on price only particularly when it comes to property. Shares is so liquid that you can estimate with high probability the price of your shares at any given moment unlike your SPECIFIC property.

Therefore your view on market value is purely one based on an estimate of its value and what it should transact for i.e. based on market comparisons or its last known value if its been transacted recently. So in a falling market buyers adjust their price expectation and lower their offers from the market value of your property as determined by say a valuer. Hence why valuation reports have a rating on future value high risk etc because its a safegaurd to suggest that the property could sell for much less than "market value" given softness in the market. Your are treating "Market Value" and "Market Price" as one and the same they are NOT especially in inefficient markets such as property and particularly in a falling market. I repeat your share example is wrong because more times than not market price = market value with shares however this is not true in property.

By the way my reference to renovations wasnt because I do them. I was simply listing property investments that dont require a "hot" market. Perhaps you should breath in before typing ignorant comments such as "little renovations you're talking about or that you do". I can name several commercial renovators that will squash your wealth and mine put together so please dont in a single swipe reduce all rennovators as "little". (By the way - since I know your petty in regards to semantics, let me be cliear whether you named the actual rennovation "little" or the people that do them "little" is irrelevant, the tone in your statement was clear so save yourself from telling me I misread)

Then you go on to discount passive property investment as being irrelevant to a thread on property... sigh I wont even try and state how dumb that sounded. Especially when your an asset holder too and suspect receive passive income.

So next time Mr deltaJamesPacker just relax with belittling everyone around you because some might be larger than you think and either way without naming any names wealth is obviously not a marker for intelligence even "little" rennovators can share information that I could use.

Lets call it a day shall we?

Hmm thanks for your essay response.

Anyway - you're qualifying your statement. The market price is the highest price for which I can sell at any given point in time. That's what market price is. You're qualifying it with 'notional' market price, which is basically another euphemism for 'intrinsic value'. They're two different things. Thus my arguments still hold.

Onto your second point, devleopment = a form of business involving value-add ,via other mechanisms from the industrial and construction sectors.

Contrary to your once again inaccurate belief, I actually understand this concept. Perhaps I'm not too familiar with the little renovations you're talking about or that you do - I'm more involved in the multi-million dollar developments and land holdings haha... but as usual, what have I got to prove on a forum with a stranger I don't know, except maybe to amuse myself and annoy a few fools who get all angry? Hmm... Anyway all I really wanted to say on this point was we're talking about passive real estate investment in this therad or at least I think most of us are. Do compare apples with apples. Talk about lmfao...

Last edited:
No I am talking about property given this is a property forum. You really are in the habbit of belittling people arent you... real bad habbit has a way of comming back to bite you.

You're saying there's only 2 choices between shares or property? Lol you're talking about mums and dads yea? Sorry don't deal with them ever...

My negative portfolio only has to grow 1.2% per annum to break even, I'm happy to accept that rather than pull out my crystal ball and try and time the market to predict the next boom.

There may well be better investing opportunities out there at the moment, but none that I am knowledgeable in, nor care about at this point in my life. Property I enjoy and am passionate about, so feel secure in investing this area, even if it's not "the best" investment class all the time.

at only 1.2% negative, i wouldnt be fussed much either, so long as one truely was mentally prepared to hold for the long term.

Hmm thanks for your essay response.

Anyway - you're qualifying your statement. The market price is the highest price for which I can sell at any given point in time. That's what market price is. You're qualifying it with 'notional' market price, which is basically another euphemism for 'intrinsic value'. They're two different things. Thus my arguments still hold.

Onto your second point, devleopment = a form of business involving value-add ,via other mechanisms from the industrial and construction sectors.

Contrary to your once again inaccurate belief, I actually understand this concept. Perhaps I'm not too familiar with the little renovations you're talking about or that you do - I'm more involved in the multi-million dollar developments and land holdings haha... but as usual, what have I got to prove on a forum with a stranger I don't know, except maybe to amuse myself and annoy a few fools who get all angry? Hmm... Anyway all I really wanted to say on this point was we're talking about passive real estate investment in this therad or at least I think most of us are. Do compare apples with apples. Talk about lmfao...

dude that post makes u sound like a massive tool. Im sure your not like this in person.

You shouldn't belittle someone because of their portfolio size, someone will always walk in the room who dwarfs you

dude that post makes u sound like a massive tool. Im sure your not like this in person.

You shouldn't belittle someone because of their portfolio size, someone will always walk in the room who dwarfs you

That's right, it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it! :D

deltaberry I never assumed your wealth or investment activities and their scale unlike you have so ammusingly with me.

Perhaps the difference between you and me is that I use my real name on this forum, each of my posts has my signature and a reference to my website. Perhaps you would like to pull your head in a little and read up on me before you try and beat your chest because you have really bemused me with this post. From my own experience people who say cliche lines like "I'm more involved in the multi-million dollar developments and land holdings haha" really dont do much at all.

Anyways your understanding is still flawed I am sorry. Market value is an estimate on price only particularly when it comes to property. Shares is so liquid that you can estimate with high probability the price of your shares at any given moment unlike your SPECIFIC property.

Therefore your view on market value is purely one based on an estimate of its value and what it should transact for i.e. based on market comparisons or its last known value if its been transacted recently. So in a falling market buyers adjust their price expectation and lower their offers from the market value of your property as determined by say a valuer. Hence why valuation reports have a rating on future value high risk etc because its a safegaurd to suggest that the property could sell for much less than "market value" given softness in the market. Your are treating "Market Value" and "Market Price" as one and the same they are NOT especially in inefficient markets such as property and particularly in a falling market. I repeat your share example is wrong because more times than not market price = market value with shares however this is not true in property.

By the way my reference to renovations wasnt because I do them. I was simply listing property investments that dont require a "hot" market. Perhaps you should breath in before typing ignorant comments such as "little renovations you're talking about or that you do". I can name several commercial renovators that will squash your wealth and mine put together so please dont in a single swipe reduce all rennovators as "little". (By the way - since I know your petty in regards to semantics, let me be cliear whether you named the actual rennovation "little" or the people that do them "little" is irrelevant, the tone in your statement was clear so save yourself from telling me I misread)

Then you go on to discount passive property investment as being irrelevant to a thread on property... sigh I wont even try and state how dumb that sounded. Especially when your an asset holder too and suspect receive passive income.

So next time Mr deltaJamesPacker just relax with belittling everyone around you because some might be larger than you think and either way without naming any names wealth is obviously not a marker for intelligence even "little" rennovators can share information that I could use.

Lets call it a day shall we?

I'm glad I bemuse you, but let's just say same to you, mainly because of the sheer volume you write.

By the way, this time you did misread my post. I did not discount passive investing. I said passive investing was what we were talking about, and that you were going off topic. As you said "I wont even try and state how dumb that sounded."

Maybe if you weren't so angry you wouldn't have misread that. But hey you know what? I'll be the better man here and take you up on your offer to call it a day.

PS: if you're going to call it a day, you shouldn't post another reply right after that lol

I hide behind the internet to hurl cheap shots, that's why. Makes me smirk. Got to be all nice and bubbly in real life.

passive income was simply another example ontop of renos etc... for property investments not requiring capital growth to be profitable making it a valid and not off-topic reference. Given you picked on this irrelevant pedantic issue as your response I take it you have given up on the main thrust of the argument regarding your view on market price.

I type quick so its easy to overwrite so I am sorry it takes you so long to read my posts but until somersoft find a way to incorporate cartoons and pop-ups for users like yourself to better enjoy your posting you will have to continue reading text - sorry.

And I did get a little angry only natural when someone insults you but it was like a child sticking his finger at you at the traffic lights I got over it quickly...

PS: Call it a day was referring to your insults....

anyways enjoy your day mate, focus on those multi-million dollar deals you got going on...

I'm glad I bemuse you, but let's just say same to you, mainly because of the sheer volume you write.

By the way, this time you did misread my post. I did not discount passive investing. I said passive investing was what we were talking about, and that you were going off topic. As you said "I wont even try and state how dumb that sounded."

Maybe if you weren't so angry you wouldn't have misread that. But hey you know what? I'll be the better man here and take you up on your offer to call it a day.

PS: if you're going to call it a day, you shouldn't post another reply right after that lol

images

All I know is that I'm getting a heap more real estate alerts about Brisbane property for sale than I did 6 months ago.

Also the houses for sale Brisbane northside seem to be sticking, one in our street has been sitting vacant for at least 6 months, they dropped the price by $50k about 3 months ago.

Well, Steve McKnight said last week he wouldn't touch Brisbane in the next 5 months.

And the permabull's pin up boy, Chris Joye, recently said this:

"Looking ahead, we are relatively bearish over the next circa 12 months on capital growth, and think that if the RBA does raise the target cash rate in line with the consensus economist estimate of 5.5 per cent, Australian dwelling prices will be placed under modest downward pressure."

Well, Steve McKnight said last week he wouldn't touch Brisbane in the next 5 months.

"Looking ahead, we are relatively bearish over the next circa 12 months on capital growth, and think that if the RBA does raise the target cash rate in line with the consensus economist estimate of 5.5 per cent, Australian dwelling prices will be placed under modest downward pressure."

It would be irresponsible for anyone to want a red hot, skyrocketing market. Nobody needs a bubble to spoil it for everyone. Chris Joye is an intelligent commentator and has solid academic credentials behind him. Somehow I don't think he's suggesting the world will end anytime soon.

If Steve McKnight said that then thats a little puzzling. What is his logic? That things will improve after 5 months? If thats his thinking then is his investment strategy one that involves NOT buying when the market is down (i.e. next 5 months) but buying when its up\recovers? i.e. (after 5 months) - sounds a little daff

It would make much more sense given his views that buying now is the right move particularly if he thinks the market is set to improve after 5 months....

Further more 5 months is a very tight\short time horizon in the property game.

Also the comment from Chris Joye is dead set obvious... if the potential of rising interest rates dont put downward pressure then that would defy logic and their intended purpose... To me his comment is so dead set obvious that it seems almost redundant to even say it..

Would rising interest rates ever lead to upward pressure on property prices?

If anything can be taken from his comments is that he doesnt beleive rate hikes will lead to significant falls...

If anything can be taken from his comments is that he doesnt beleive rate hikes will lead to significant falls...
That's what I took from that comment as well, but are you surprised that this is his public view given his companies involvement with such products as EFM? If you are familiar with this product you would understand that just like the banks Joye/Rismark have a heavy interest in rising prices and any opinion he makes public is probably influenced by that fact.

Do you think Joye would publicly say so if he thought prices would crash?

Back