Sydney Airport train RIP OFF!

I agree - I can't believe you paid only $8.60 from Newcastle to Sydney. Was that with a discount or concession? No wonder our trains are going broke.

If you were driving, then fuel alone would be around $60+

Really?

I do Newcastle to Sydney pretty often and I've worked out fuel costs would be around $16...

I'd be happier to pay more for a quicker train service. But not the current service. It's too slow.

I still can't over the fact some countries charges an airport tax?
And its mandatory that you pay for this tax if you use their terminals.. :eek:
Not some...All countries that I know of have airport taxes. You just don't usually notice it since it's built into the ticket price and the airline pays it for you.

Long ago I used to park my car in the streets of nearby suburbs and walk to the airport, probably can't do that now.

If you were driving, then fuel alone would be around $60+

What sort of car do you have Lizzie? A Hummer?

Even in an old inefficient gas guzzler it would be around half that figure and more like $20, or less in a modern car.

So an old gas guzzler carrying four passengers works out around the same cost per passenger as a train. The train is way more expensive per passenger than a modern car.

I still can't over the fact some countries charges an airport tax? And its mandatory that you pay for this tax if you use their terminals.. :eek:

What's not to get?

Look at it from the government's perspective....

While it annoys people, it typically doesn't annoy people enough (because it isn't usually enough $) for them to change their travel plans (so the demand curve, from a tax perspective, is relatively inelastic).

I guess that hardly anyone doesn't travel overseas for the sake of avoiding a $40 tax or so.

Plus, someone else (the airlines) collects the tax for them.

And it is a pretty regular source of income (not that cyclical I would have thought).

Good deal for the Gubbermint there.

What whinges? It's not any worse than Sydney bus (sample size, 2 ppl X 3 visits to melbourne)

Just people I've heard complaining about how inefficient it is.

I don't get it. I've used it probably 15-20 times now without an issue.

The cost of the trip to/from the airport in Sydney is only a couple of bucks and calculated at the same rates as other Sydney trains (just check the price to the non-airport stations on the same line - don't complain.

The cost of the platform access fee (a totally separate agreement between Macquarie Airports & Transport for NSW) is hefty.

Really?

I do Newcastle to Sydney pretty often and I've worked out fuel costs would be around $16...

I'd be happier to pay more for a quicker train service. But not the current service. It's too slow.

I'm probably thinking return trip - definitely not gas guzzler - I just seem to always fill up before driving down ... sorry at being wrong ... been a looooong three days planting garlic.

Still surprised the train is just $8.60 ...

I'm probably thinking return trip - definitely not gas guzzler - I just seem to always fill up before driving down ... sorry at being wrong ... been a looooong three days planting garlic.

Still surprised the train is just $8.60 ...

Those who catch the train short distances subsidise those who catch it longer distances.
https://www.opal.com.au/en/fare-information/fare_information_train/

eg. less than 10km - $3.30 single full fare
eg. greater than 65km - $8.10 single full fare

Then again, if you think $8.10 is cheap for a Newcastle to Sydney train fare, you could ride it for $2.50 unlimited travel on family funday Sundays (if you have a child with you). Or $2.50 any day with a seniors card. However I'm sure you're not anywhere near the latter category yet! :)

Yes that's exactly what the train ticket guy told me after I laughed at him and said I've just come 161km for $8.60 and now need to pay $16+ for 6km to get to airport.

Next time will look to get a cab straight from hotel room.

From city cab works out to be more convenient .. cost few bucks extra..

but go figure for $16 for airport access..

lucky i live close to airport that walking is only 10 min at max

Not only applies to Sydney, but all airports are ripoffs, that is a given fact.

I still can't over the fact some countries charges an airport tax?
And its mandatory that you pay for this tax if you use their terminals.. :eek:

I think most countries impose an airport tax, but it is incorporated into the price of the tickets. I think this is the case with Australia.

Kansai internation airport in Osaka is much further from the city - about 1 hour on the bus but only costs $15 each trip. Bangkok airport only costs me about $10 to $15 in a taxi to the city, or you could get their train (light years ahead of Australian trains) and this costs ust $1 or $2.

Back