Tall poppy syndrome on somersoft or am I just paranoid?

If my net worth was millions, say 5+ or so, then my lifestyle would probably start to vaguely resemble what the stereotypical millionare is.

I'd probably have to stick pictures of trump, lindsay fox, murdock, and others up at home, just to remind me that i'm not the tallest poppy :D

Most people i know do not have IP's, and the couple that do are older and have much less. I can't talk about IP's to any of them, as after about 5 seconds their eye's will glaze over, or i just get thier theories which are not negotiable. I feel like jumping up & down and bragging about what i've got sometimes, i really feel like a tall poppy around them, but i don't talk about it irl unless directly asked by people, cos i don't want to show off.

Reading about the success stories here however, brings me down to earth, it makes me realise that i could be doing much better. It's very inspirational, and a real kick up the bum.

So don't stop talking about your achievements guys, it's really good to have people to look up to & learn from. Congratulations on your achievements, and thanks for sharing :D

Vince, you hit the nail on the head for me.

I like to read about other people's success stories because it does make me want to strive harder to do better. I never really "relax " anyway, but I LOVE to hear how well people are doing to affirm that it IS achieveable.

Regards Jo:)

I don't often talk about it to people even when they ask me. Especially when you can sense their general undertone and why their asking, usually it's not out of genuine interest. I just give them a standard non committal response like 'yeah going well' then immediately turn the topic of conversation onto them which makes them happy. :rolleyes:

Quite sad really, as I don't get to talk to pretty much anyone in person about property. My fiance is great and getting more interested in property, but I can tell I still bore her on occassion. But that's why SS is great!

I'm more than happy to offer people assistance and advice, but you can't really talk to people about property who don't invest themselves as you start to make them uncomfortable and they tend to think you're trying to show off.

Especially when you can sense their general undertone and why their asking, usually it's not out of genuine interest.

Yup.

Today, a colleague at work mentioned he was putting more into super. I asked why, he said because it was good. I mentioned without thinking that I wasn't planning on needing my super .. and got a whole bunch of sneering attitude in response.

Whoops, oh well. To each their own.

Slightly off topic, but still relevant I guess;

we are currently changing over from paper times sheets to computer timesheets at work. No more writing down of names (I actually prefer writing on paper sheets as it is quicker and the entire timesheet is in front of you, except we get a zillion phone calls for the bookings).

Members can now book in/cancel bookings by either:
a) ringing us and we will do it (least preferred for us)
b) do it at the Club on computer
c) do it from home on-line (most preferred by us and the Club committee).

Of course, all the computer illiterate members are up in arms, many are resisting learning how to do it with a vengeance, and we still get all the phone calls.

One of the members was having a whinge to me about all the changes, and I said "have you tried to do a booking on-line from home yet? It's very easy".

His response was, with a snort; "Turn it up...how can I afford a computer - I'm just a pensioner". :eek:

Massively biting my tongue, but managed to say "No worries, you can still call us and we'll book you in".

Sheesh!

His response was, with a snort; "Turn it up...how can I afford a computer - I'm just a pensioner". :eek:
Well done, not sure if I have as much self-discipline! Perhaps you could refer them to places where they can get a computer for free/very low cost; eg in Melbourne, Computerbank will sell him a computer from $15. [Australia-wide list here.]

How much does a round of golf and club membership cost?

Well done, not sure if I have as much self-discipline! Perhaps you could refer them to places where they can get a computer for free/very low cost; eg in Melbourne, Computerbank will sell him a computer from $15. [Australia-wide list here.]

How much does a round of golf and club membership cost?

Thanks for that Tracy; I'll let him know. Then he'll just have to cover his internet connection. :eek:

Even if the computers were free, most of that ilk just don't wanna know; they have closed down their life and mind unfortunately.

The greenfees are $40 weekdays, $50 weekends for 18 holes. 9 holes is $25 and $30.
Full membership is about $1600 per year I think.

It's so nice to know that part of the tall poppy thing is that there are people around who would just love us to trip up and fall on our faces - even some here on somersoft (and I don't mean the trolls).

But we can only fall back to where we started and that's where the nay sayers or anti poppies are right now.....so what is the risk really? The greatest risk is doing nothing cause that sure won't being about success of any description.

In complete agreement with the above. I notice it on the forum frequently from those who will be determined in their efforts to continously talk one's success down.. calling it fluke, accidental timing, event of a century etc etc.

Some of them would be riding on the business bandwagon and will swear that unless you have been able to successfully run a business for numerous years and used that welath to build yourself, you cant call yourself successful.

Others are on the shares band wagon and will tell you the same in a different spiel.

Tell them anything about the start of the journey with saving a large deposit from your after tax income for months to buy the first property, took risks in acquiring more, managed the risks with cf shortfall, continously thought about strategies to increase the cf, invested in alternative property/ asset classes to broaden the exposure, added value and developed current portfolio, spent hundreds of hours looking/ talking to agents/ negotiating for new purchases, filled dozens of forms for finance, updated spread sheets almost on a weekly basis, suffered sleepless nights worrying about over exposure at times, celerabrated the gradual increases and felt rewarded for the efforts and risk that you carried for years.... AND they will still tell you, it was all a fluke and a matter of right timing !

I find that in the end its an attitude thing. The truly successful mind tend to stay optimistic even in the worst of times and keeps finding reasons to think positive, rather than to blame others or talk others down.

Harris

Well I'm enjoying these stories, but I am so glad I don't know people with this sort of attitude, or at least who don't show this sort of attitude. I wonder however how much of this attitude comes from feelings of inadequacy or defenciveness when confronted by conversation about things they feel they aren't capable of achieving and they see you as a braggart who is putting them down. I know that if someone came up to me and just started blurting on and on about how they made a zillion dollars in some investment or other with an "I'm the greatest" attitude I would probably think "what a tosser" and switch off too - simply because of the way they came across.

When I have a conversation with someone I don't know very well, or I know is not a property investor I tend to talk about what their interests are eg travel. I think if you make the other person feel good about something they are interested in and their achievements first, they might be more receptive to listening about your investing and might want to learn more.

So very true natmarie73,

I have been told a very helpful tip when talking with others,

"make yourself interested in the other person, not interesting to them"

By doing it this way, our turn will come and the rapport developed is positive to the interaction and future dealings with that person

That's a great piece of advice michael.

There is not much point talking property investment with somebody with zero experience anyway. You're most likely to hear the fears and fallacies that come from the media.

Cheers,

Even if the computers were free, most of that ilk just don't wanna know; they have closed down their life and mind unfortunately.
Yeah, I know... that's the thing! So many people use "can't afford it" as an excuse, because they think that's more socially acceptable than "I'm not interested in change". When people do that, I like to show them they can afford it, and thus get them to confront the real obstacle. :D If you want to be a Luddite, fair enough, but have the courage to own it, I reckon. :p
The truly successful mind tend to stay optimistic even in the worst of times and keeps finding reasons to think positive, rather than to blame others or talk others down.
So true! I mainly replied to take the opportunity to say g'day - haven't seen you on the forum for a while, Harris. :) (But maybe I'm just reading different threads?) In any case, good to see you!

:p
So true! I mainly replied to take the opportunity to say g'day - haven't seen you on the forum for a while, Harris. :) (But maybe I'm just reading different threads?) In any case, good to see you!

Thanks Tracey and G'day too !

Just got back from overseas and starting my new role from tuesday, having resigned from my very cosy, cushy, well paying job into a less paying role however with the potential opportunity to make 10-15 times more in 2 years at the listing of the new firm with my share options.

It might not all work out that way however happy with my DD to-date and jumping at the deeper end... Me thinks life is far too bloody short to play it safe all the time so back in the fast lane to get my usual thrills !:eek:

If it all goes under and the gamble does not pay off then I am back to where I was around 6 years ago, however with my "never say die" attitude, mindset and skills that I have acquired over the last 6 years, I believe that I can replicate it all over again in less than half of the time compared to first time around ! so no real loss I think..

As Einstein once said.. "Why the hell not.." or was that Aristotle..:p

Hope you are well too

Harris

Thanks for that Tracy; I'll let him know. Then he'll just have to cover his internet connection. :eek:

The greenfees are $40 weekdays, $50 weekends for 18 holes. 9 holes is $25 and $30.
Full membership is about $1600 per year I think.

Computers with internet connection are free to use at your local library - and they'll even show you how.

There is simply no excuse to not have access to the internet or a computer these days.

michaelparis, is that tip from Dale Carnegie's book How to Win Friends and Influence People? I bought a copy of it today and have had a quick flick and saw a similar tip.

Me thinks life is far too bloody short to play it safe all the time so back in the fast lane to get my usual thrills !:eek:
That's the spirit! :D Welcome back, Harris.
michaelparis, is that tip from Dale Carnegie's book How to Win Friends and Influence People? I bought a copy of it today and have had a quick flick and saw a similar tip.
I thought the same thing! Perhaps Dale Carnegie reads Somersoft! ;) :p

When I have a conversation with someone I don't know very well, or I know is not a property investor I tend to talk about what their interests are eg travel. I think if you make the other person feel good about something they are interested in and their achievements first, they might be more receptive to listening about your investing and might want to learn more.

More often than not they're quite happy to keep talking to themselves, but that's fine with me. If that's the case, you know they're not the sort of person who you'd want to talk to about your property anyway.

Could be. It's one book I haven't read (yet).

It was told to me by a successful property investor/developer.

There is simply no excuse to not have access to the internet or a computer these days.

You obviously don't associate with pensioners on a painfully regular, daily basis as I do. :D

Gee it's fun. :(

They are the 2008 version of The Luddites.

Of course, the type of Golf Club where you work has an enormous influence on the type of older person you have to deal with.

I have worked at a couple of very exclusive Clubs where the Members are professional people and/or business owners, and are way more in tune with the world. Narrow minded, "rugged and buggered" pensioners/aussie battlers don't exist at these Clubs.

At the more "blue collar" golf clubs, the elderly pensioner Members represent a far bigger percentage of the membership.

The positive about this for me is that being exposed to them for 30 years has driven me to take action in my own life so that I will never end up being one of them, and to be one of those who frequent the more affluent corners of the golfing world.

Snobbery I hear some say? Not at all; I've seen how both sides think and live, and I know which camp I want to be in.

You obviously don't associate with pensioners on a painfully regular, daily basis as I do. :D

Gee it's fun. :(

LOL, no I don't. There are always plenty of pensioners on the computers at my library though, and even my 80 year old dad has a computer and internet. I guess some people get so set in their ways they never change or try new things.

LOL, no I don't. There are always plenty of pensioners on the computers at my library though, and even my 80 year old dad has a computer and internet. I guess some people get so set in their ways they never change or try new things.

Yeah; it's frustrating.

If they only knew what they were missing out on.

Sad.

Good on your DAD!

Back