Tenants with Assistance Dogs

Very true, buying would be a great option if there's a chance of that.

I'm not familiar with the area, but if buying a place would cost you about $50pw or so more, then it would definitely be an option to consider. What are the fundamentals of the area - if there is a shortage of rental houses, then rents are likley to increase over the next few years anyway.

So whilst the extra expense now may seem to make it harder - if in 2/3yrs you'll be paying $250pw in rent anyway, you'll be no better off.

Have you considered buying a property? I don't know what your financial situation is like but if you could pick up something around the 140-150k mark that would cost you around $260 a week in mortgage repayments interest only. (I have factored in 9% interest)

Maybe try putting a post on steve mcnights website www.propertyinvesting.com as many investors read that forum as well and you may just come across someone that it is looking to rent out a property in melbourne.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

I would love to buy a little house of all my own, unfortunalty at this stage it is not financically viable for me. I wish it were then I wouldnt have to worry about being kicked out of my home. Maybe one day when I have some more savings behind me - I have no depoist for a mortage.

If you are a member on the other forum please, feel free to cross post this thread there. Any help that could come my way from it is more then welcome. Maybe I will get lucky and someone will have a property coming up in Melbourne.

I dont require any changes to a house to meet my needs (like mobility bars ectra) and the dogs do not cause damage to the property. One is my constant companion (Luigi the AD with public access rights) so he comes everywhere with me. Zoey when home alone is crate trained so she just sleeps the day away in there untill I come home. Both of my dogs are covered by 10 million dollars of liability cover as an extention of my home contents policy.

Hello MonSqueek

May I suggest that if you intend to send any more letters you replace the bit explaining the law regarding aid dogs with the information you posted above.
This is more the sort of information that will make a LL more inclined to rent to you.

As far as I know the tenant being present at an inspection is the rule rather than the exception so I wouldn't mention that as a requirement. No need to make it seem like a problem.

It may be worth while to contact your current PM again (maybe go to their office with your well behaved aid dog ) and ask them to ask the LL to come and visit you at the property so that they can see for themselves that no damage is being done to their property and that you are looking after it well. If you are not already paying an extra $10pw for the dogs this may also be worth offering as it will cost you nearly that much to move.

Good luck with your search.
Elka

Hi MonSqueek,

Get in touch with the support organization that deals with your disability and tell them of your dilemma. You may find that not only can they assist you with finding a place, they may be able to refer you, or help you in other ways.

Perhaps they can act as the go between, between you and the PM. I don't know your disability, but I do know that not all disabled look very disabled to the casual observer, and if that is the case with you (since you are able to work), it could what is preventing you from finding a place, especially as you have two dogs and most people with trained dogs have one.

Anyway, I wish you luck and hope you find a place in the very near future.

I spent all morning going around introducing myself and my dog to all the local realestate agents. Hopefully that will help us out. About to go back down and lodge and another application now.

Im not sure. They seemed.... cold. The receptionist at each place were completley taken with Luigi. He puppy-dog-eyed at them and they went mushy lol. But the PM's were.... less inclined to care I think. I applied for one place today and met the PM for that place so hopefully that might help. Offered 3 months in advance too.

*sigh* Both of the places I appied for declined. I just want to cry. I dont know what else to do. I offered more then the asking, I offered 3 months in advance on the rent and I met the property manager with Luigi too. I just dont know what else to do.

Im running out of hope and time.

Monsqueek,

You have to keep applying, someone will give you an opportunity. what about extending your search to the outer suburbs?

Monsqueek,

I had an idea last night about your situation. It's a bit out there but you never know. Why not try calling your local radio station and explain the problem to them on air, maybe they will try and help and ask the listeners to call in if they can help.

Also have you asked for an extension where you are staying, if the landlord is not willing to do this you may be able to get an extension granted on compassionate grounds.

Good luck, keep us posted with how you are going.

Im allready looking in the outer suburbs - Dandenong and as far out as Pakenham. I dont know if I could call a radio station.... Might have to put some more thought into that one.... but at this stage I am willing to try anything.

Don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread yet, but have you looked into Housing Trust? Even if it's just until you can find something in the private market yourself?

Zoey is an emotional support animal. .

Monsqueek,

Just one observtion from an unelightened landlord like me: don't refer to Zoey as an "emotional support animal". The minute I see that, I'll think you're a nutcase or seriously disturbed case which might go and trash my property or something. A "pet dog" sounds far less intimidating to me.... (maybe I am alone in this reaction...)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Just one observtion from an unelightened landlord like me: don't refer to Zoey as an "emotional support animal". The minute I see that, I'll think you're a nutcase or seriously disturbed case which might go and trash my property or something.
In the spirit of trying to be helpful; I confess I had the same reaction when I read that. :eek:

In the spirit of trying to be helpful; I confess I had the same reaction when I read that. :eek:

Same here. :eek: Which is why I was trying to point out earlier in this thread that a big deal should not be made in any letter/personal approach to PM's.

Simply present yourself or apply as any other person who happens to have dogs. There are many LL's out there willing to accept dogs, so perhaps it's still something you're telling them when you apply/meet them? Don't act as if it's a big deal and you've been knocked back before..... "hi, I want to enquire about the property at xxx, oh and I have 2 dogs but they're well behaved - will that be an issue? If you like I can put some extra bond money down for the LL."

Housing Trust has a 2 year wait period. I do not qualify for Urgent or category one housing trust becuase I work full time. Basically no one can help me untill we are allready homeless. I have rung around all the places I can think of but they all say the same thing, once I am homeless then they can offer emergency accomidation in a shelter or womans refuge for a few (2-3) weeks. I really really dont want it to get to that point. My health can not really handle couch surfing with friends or staying in homeless shelters.

Back