The Block

ooooo - looking at the application I don't know that spotless and I would qualify on a number of factors ... including right at the start of "needs to be a long term relationship, family team or long term lasting friendship".

Wasn't too keen on the question "what causes you to fight?" either.

Will have to ponder further.

ooooo - looking at the application I don't know that spotless and I would qualify on a number of factors ... including right at the start of "needs to be a long term relationship, family team or long term lasting friendship".

Wasn't too keen on the question "what causes you to fight?" either.

Will have to ponder further.

Long term lasting friendship. Well....you've been around here for years and Spotless was sure to be a lurker for some time before registering. You could maybe be creative there somehow.

What causes fights....OK, differences in opinions on housing afford ability, government policies, middle class welfare, putting up rents, leniency to wards tenants, self managing. Oh, there's got to be something that you don't agree on.

What causes fights....OK, differences in opinions on housing afford ability, government policies, middle class welfare, putting up rents, leniency to wards tenants, self managing. Oh, there's got to be something that you don't agree on.

Carbon tax

:( I just looked at the application too, Lizzie. Hmmm, I can see what you mean - some of those questions would be hard to answer considering we have never met. Also, filming an audition tape together would spoil our major drawcard of 'having never met in person'. Damn TV show creators with no imagination or vision! AND who can't think outside the square :mad:! The argument question would have been easy. I am very opinionated and enjoy a good 'ole debate and would argue black was white if I had to.

I had to laugh at the first 'requirement' - a sense of humour. How on earth did Jenna and Josh get through :confused:?

:( I just looked at the application too, Lizzie. Hmmm, I can see what you mean - some of those questions would be hard to answer considering we have never met. Also, filming an audition tape together would spoil our major drawcard of 'having never met in person'. Damn TV show creators with no imagination or vision! AND who can't think outside the square :mad:! The argument question would have been easy. I am very opinionated and enjoy a good 'ole debate and would argue black was white if I had to.

I had to laugh at the first 'requirement' - a sense of humour. How on earth did Jenna and Josh get through :confused:?

Maybe you film the audition tape together when you attend an investors meeting. :D

I would love to see you get creative and tell a white lie to say you have known each other for years, you could say you met on a online forum, met, got on well see each other or whatever. How cool would it be for someone we all "know" to be on next years The Block. Could time my Melbourne trip to pop in, to see your progress. Go on go for it......

Josn and Jenna are relaly starting to get annoying. Especially Josh's anger issues.

Sheesh - if when asked to move the plasterboard he'd say "Sure mate, could you give me a hand and I'll do it now" it would've been done in 5mins, everyone happy and he would've had help - 'cause he was being a pr*ck he's got the guys he needs to work with offside and had to do the job himself.

And they must have the most expensive tradies in Australia!

My very competant handyman works for $30/hr and can do just about everything - worth flying him down! How can a plasterer cost $2,500 for 2 days work!

One would think that if you were selected you'd do some quick, intensive lessons in skills over several months that you could undertake like plastering and wet area sealing etc.

Don't forget your Network in Melbourne, we can put you onto good plumbers, handymen etc at reasonable rates and we can take it turns to help :D

I think if you told the truth about never having met but know each other online it just might get you in - its different and quirky and two women!!!!!!

What have you two got to lose????

Chris

It's 1.30am and I can't sleep.

I've been mentally designing the surfie's room off Top Design (and what a great design it was too) ... and angsting about applying for the block. I've even mentally taped my entire application film ... and it was a darn great (and funny) film, if I say so myself ... I've even mentally "met" Gottabespotless for the first time (Hi, Nic) in the flesh on the first day of filming ... sent her out shopping while I got stuck into painting the elimination room (trust her taste implicitly) ... we're not on the show for the the money, but rather proving that we have the ability ... but ...

I hate but. But is the beginning of an excuse and to me excuses are nothing but lies to one self.

... but. I don't know that I can leave hubby and child for 8 weeks. He works 10 hours a day and we have no family support network. Also, being an introvert all the friends, asides from his work collegues, are my friends.

and I had to peel screaming child off me this morning so I could go to a breakfast meeting because "mum always takes me to school", but this day dad was going to - so I don't know how she'll cope without mum.

and my business is also due to launch our initial product line in January 2012 and filming is from mid-October to mid-December. Right in the critical period of pre-launch and rules are specific that you are not allowed to do any outside work while on the block.

I would so love to be on the block. And Nic and I would be wonderful together. And the support network in Melbourne would be second to none. and my stars today say:

GEMINI (20 July US/Canada/UK/Europe - 21 July NZ/Australia)
There is a real sense of synchronicity in the air today, with fate working overtime to put you in the right place at the right time. It’s by listening to your intuition and your hunches, by turning left instead of right and saying yes instead of no that you're more likely to experience some serendipitous moments or encounters. There is a high chance that you're likely to bump into old friends or hear some out of the blue news.

... but ... oh what to do?

Hey Lizzie - I just sent you a PM to say that, unfortunately, the almighty 'mother's guilt trip' had me in a grasp last night too (ironically at the same time - was I receiving your ESP? *cue that creepy 'Twilight Zone' music*).

My hubby is a great Dad but something keeps niggling at me and saying that, on my return home from Melbourne after 8 weeks, I will be finding mouldy sandwiches in the bottom of my kid's school bags; washing will all be pink; a steady diet of lumpy mash potatoe and chicken nuggets will have been had every night for 8 weeks by my kids and costly pet Psychiatrist's appointments will have to be booked to deal with my dog's 'separation anxiety' issues. Ofcourse none of this will happen BUT... something definitely happens to we females the minute we give birth - we completely devote our lives to our children and place them before our own needs and wants - it's natural and overwhelmingly strong and, as much as I'd love to give The Block a go, I can't fight nature. I'm likening myself to one of those femal lions on David Attenborough documentaries, ie. can't let the cubs out of sight.:D

Oh, but my audition tape and application was great too. We were fantastic, Lizzie. Congratulations on your top class performance (in my mind). Although I must confess that I, mysteriously, gained an extra couple of centimetres in height, miraculously developed a larger bust, didn't require lenses in my glasses the thickness of a coke bottle and was also asked, along with Lizzie, if we could co-host the show in future seasons.

Channel 9's loss is our children's gain!

Maybe Chrispy and Tuppy could join forces? Hmmm...?

Last edited:
Every couple on the block has their own personalities and the producers always look for that to exploit - like adding MSG to your good or bad traits.
Last year Mark and Duncan were they easy going jovial guys, then you had little miss Dibba Dobba. Jenna has let the bit*h within escape with her spoilt attitude to having to give away $2k, now the producers will be looking for every bitchy comment. Josh thinks he is mightier than Keith because he is a "contestant", not a mere sight foreman. Even if Keith overlooked the issue of the building materials being in the way of the gas plumbing, it was on honest oversight, no one is perfect. And after Keith helping him with the tiling overcharge, what an ungrateful p***k! The villains emerge!!

As for Top Design, ugh! They would have done better walking into the nearest pub and asking for 10 volunteers. The loser team should have been the room that was least liked by the celebs - one bed for two and a fold out at that, not to mention the crime scene outline around everything. Bloody awful. But I think the judges decided (rightfully) that the weakest link was Mary the Credit Union Manager so it had to be her team that lost so they could flick her.

Bring on 8.30pm Sunday on Channel 10.

As much as I would enjoy going on The Block I am about to embark on a major reno on one of my rentals plus all my travelling doesn't allow for me to fit in 8 weeks straight :D

Plus I am way tooooooooo old for a female. They seem to accept older males but older females no no no!!!!

Lizzie and Nic give it time, we know that the next one is in South Melbourne but who is to say 2013 won't be just around the corner from one of you????

Last night's episode - I felt like screaming at Josh. I think Keith should have asked him to move the plaster board then told him if it wasn't moved then the hot water would not be connected and do it. I am quite sure Josh would have got quite a mouthful from Jenna when she found out the rest of the Block had hot water and she didn't!!!!

By the way I was also awake at 1.30am - we should have all met online in Chat!!!!

Chris

Josh and Jenna are really starting to get annoying. Especially Josh's anger issues.
Agree

In real life if you do not follow instructions and directions from site supervisor you are 'off the job' and The Block should be no different. Imagine paying 2 plumbers to sit around whilst someone is being obstructive.

Definitely not the first time materials delivered on any job site have to be moved and in some instances moved a few times until used.

Enjoyed the show and watched the way advertising was inserted eg. buying groceries from Woolies online and J & J unable to work out they had 16K in their NZ account.

Cheers
Sheryn

One thing I will say is it takes time to be an experienced renovator & decorator so anyone who does not live in Melbourne would be at a disadvantage with reliable tradies and knowing what can be found where to save time.

Hmm with Polly and Waz's one up for auction so soon I'm thinking they must bomb out, given they really don't have much money left... wonder when filming finished?

I think that definately Josh and Jenna are this serie's 'brats', and are being shown as very unpleasant people.

Honestly, by the time Josh finished having his tantie he could have moved the stuff and got on with it.

I'm liking the sisters, I can relate to them, and they are doing good stuff. Something really appealled to me about the cocky cushion but I'm a bit daggy like that.

Josn and Jenna are relaly starting to get annoying. Especially Josh's anger issues.

Sheesh - if when asked to move the plasterboard he'd say "Sure mate, could you give me a hand and I'll do it now" it would've been done in 5mins, everyone happy and he would've had help - 'cause he was being a pr*ck he's got the guys he needs to work with offside and had to do the job himself.

And they must have the most expensive tradies in Australia!

My very competant handyman works for $30/hr and can do just about everything - worth flying him down! How can a plasterer cost $2,500 for 2 days work!

It's funny, I had a bit of a different take on the Josh-Keith row. I mean, sure, Josh was in the wrong and should have just moved the stuff in the first place. But when Keith came in and started moving it around and mouthing off, I think he was chucking his weight around to prove he was in charge.
That line about being ''a site foreman for 15 years and never seeing behaviour like this'' was unbelievable. My hubby - who was a roof plumber on commercial sites for 10 years-plus - nearly fell off the couch laughing - tradies can certainly behave as badly as any wannabee TV reno stars.
I agree, though, I think they're all getting diddled by their trades. I wonder if these guys have come in and seen the TV cameras and the pressure, etc, etc and decided to take a bit of an advantage ... :confused:

oh, and thanks for the suggestion that Chrispy and I should team up... I'm just not a front-of-camera type, production's my area (would love to do the planning and sourcing and that sort of stuff - and I'm told I'm very good at criticism ;)). Sorry, Lizzie, Spotless, it's back to you two .... :D

Oh I meant plan out the furniture/kitchen/bathroom ahead of time.

I don't think this year's lot have any say in their floor plans as such. The buildings seem to be going up around them, irrespective of the couples' ''renovating'' schedules.
The current Real Living mag (Aug) has a big feature on all the couples and their ''styles'' :rolleyes:, with floor plans of the houses - all remarkably similar.

Can I join the car pool for Lizzie and Spotless when they are next year's token gay/polygamous/NSW team? I live handy to South Melbourne, where rumour has it the next Block will be set, and I'm good at sniffing out bargains outside of the Richmond-Hawthorn-South Yarra designer shop range :D. Please, pretty pleae ...

Back