Thoughts on Foreign ownership in Australia

Just being born in a country doesn't make you a citizen either. A family here on vacation, and then giving birth doesn't quailfy.
Your other point about a family being here on vacation borders on absurdity. That probably makes up 0.01% of the people who gain citizenship status by birth.
Actually, 0%. Being born in Australia, or the United States, and possibly many other countries, doesn't automatically make you an Australian or US citizen. Some countries may have that rule - ie "if you're born here, you're one of us" - but not Australia or the USA. I don't know about UK and Canada, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're the same.

Actually, 0%. Being born in Australia, or the United States, and possibly many other countries, doesn't automatically make you an Australian or US citizen. Some countries may have that rule - ie "if you're born here, you're one of us" - but not Australia or the USA. I don't know about UK and Canada, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're the same.

It's the same in Canada.
Just because you are born in Canada does not make you a citizen.It would depend on the status of the parents.

We have nothing to fear from foreign investment in the Australian property market.
Michael Buxton. Business Day Article Here

snippet
At the same time the federal government is ensuring there is no investment imbalance in the economy with the Foreign Investment Review Board ensuring foreign investors can only buy new housing and non-residents must sell their homes when they leave the country permanently.

hi all
couple of question and these question will answer a few of the question with regards to milk
prep you are incorrect in that at the moment if the milk is own by coles wolli's or iga or who ever your belief is that the milk is for sale to you
what if its not
what makes you think that because I buy a milk farm that I will sell that milk to you
if I am a chinese soveign fund and I own a milk farm where will I sell the milk
china and india need food
what does this land have
If I own a farm that producess cattle and my people need meat why would I sell it to you

the land stays here yes
but there is no rule about who you can sell it to
there is one thing to some one buying a house in vegas to have soverign funds buying tracks of land to feed there people
do you think they are buying it to feed you
please tell me you are not that silly
people are saying that the land is here
yes it will always be
but that does not mean anything off it has to be sold here or for that matter any tax or income will be seen here
to put not to much of a point on it
I would say we are looking at a stratigic strike with finance as the weapon
if a fund (goverment) wished to take over the amounts of land currently already taken over with a gun or plane we would have declared war but its fine if the same is done with finance
its not an issue that the land is still here
it would be if taken over in any form
its not the land it who or how the land is controlled and what is the control for
ask a poly
not only do they not know what the use is they don't know who the buyers is
you have millions that have fought to hold this land
and if you do not done anything soon that will be for no use at all
in pat of this post it says patriots like gr
well it seems that alot of patriots can't see past the smoke screen of the dollar bill
its not the price of the land some funds have paid 2 even 4 times the value of the land to buy blocks and these are not 100acres but thousands of acres
and who is watching whats happening
you ????
ps mathew
they are not buying resi house units or home so they do not come under this rule
they have to buy 315mil in on transaction to have to go to the firb
if they buy 314 mil in one company and 314mil in another company and 314 mil in a third they do not have to tell anyone
if you buy a 400k unit yes you do 314mil of farm or commercial no you don't

Last edited:
There's a lot of cashed up farmers around here at the moment.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-up-43-nsw-farms/story-e6frg6nf-1226082387428

This issue is too complicated for me to work out. I don't see the sense in selling our farming land to China so they can dig it up. We get a short term gain, but we would have got a much bigger gain in years to come.

But, the more farm land that goes out of production, the more my grain and land will be worth, so I couldn't care less really, as it seems most others don't. Everyone is just taking the cash, and I don't blame them.

See ya's.

Good morning TC.

There is talk on hotcopper that Windsor is buying up more farms to sell to the miners. Does that sound right and if so, has he given up all hope of re-election?

I don't like too much F/O. As a few have said, once it's gone it's gone. Especially if it involves property and land, that's our biggest asset imo , crazy .

Apparently even our mines are over 80% f/o, what madness. It's selling out your country and control of it's own wealth just for a quick buck.

Apparently even our mines are over 80% f/o, more madness. It's selling out your own country just for a quick buck .
Did Bob Brown also tell you what percentage of Australian listed miners' assets are O/S? No he didn't. He gave a bare factoid and allowed all the brain dead to draw conclusions. Our miners own property on all the continents and hundreds of islands. Are the locals there to be excluded from owning part of the action? A sure way to be nationalised if they tried it.

I personally own a couple of hundred g's of O/S miners that ARE NOT listed here. Bob didn't ring me and find out.

I also own BHP shares and of course they would have a lot of O/S shareholders but why not? They have grown by buying some of best mines in the world. To do this they offer the existing shareholders BHP shares and these new shares are O/S owned OBVIOUSLY. How big would BHP be if Bob forced them to pay cash in A$s for all acquisitions? They would have gone the way of MIM, bought by Xtrata for $1.12/sh.

If you never invest in miners you have no right to complain about ownership. I notice Melbourne investors are happy to take the money from wealthy Chinese when on offer.

Sorry random I have to say that's a pretty naive view...

A quick buck you say? If you didn't sell the mines/infrastructure rights, these mines/infrastructure would never have been built. Hence there'd be jobs, no terms of trade in your favour etc. We'd most likely end up like Ireland - correction, you might, as I'd be gone by then.

Examples

Who's building the terminals at Abbott Point in Queensland? (the apparently foreign-owned BHP Billiton)

Who's building up the new terminals at Gladstone such as WICET? (Several parties but not many are Australian)

Who's going to link up the Galilee Basin to Abbott Point? (Gina Rinehart + Chinese or Indians via Adani?)

Who's investing in BICET? (Xstrata)

Who's building all the multi-billion dollar LNG plants on the east coast? (Petronas, PetroChina, Shell, British Gas, MobilExxon etc)

Who's giving money to Gindanble? (AnSteel)

Who's giving money to Oakajee Port & Rail (Mitsubishi and Japanese banks)

Who's been building Port Hedland in the past and who's been helping build existing terminals at the east coast (the foreign-owned BHP, foreign-owned Rio Tinto, Anglo American, Xstrata etc)

Let me give you an alternative if you don't like it...
Go ask the Greens Senator for some $600bn, because over the next 5 years, this much will be needed to be invested in infrastructure.

If Mr. Brown can find that sort of money locally and keep ownership local, then that'd be great. Because without it, he can explain to all the people at Gladstone, Newcastle and all the new developments along the east coast railway systems and Pilbara railways etc why they now don't have a job and why the ailing banks will soon foreclose their houses. Hope none of you have a mortgage if that day ever comes.

My solution:
People who are uninformed should seriously be made to take a test before they can vote

If you never invest in miners you have no right to complain about ownership. I notice Melbourne investors are happy to take the money from wealthy Chinese when on offer.

Oh... I think it's ok to take people's money to increase my terms of trade and get the Australian Government back to a surplus...

Oh... I also think we shouldn't give them any ownership while doing that or give them any thing at all... we should just take their money then tell them to go away

Oh... I'm a professional academic/student and/or union leader who hasn't really had a real job... but I understand giving away our land/farms/mines is not good

Oh... we have to invest $bn which we don't have to build up those land/farms/mines? I don't understand what "bn" means

Oh... I'm so angry at this capitalist system, I can't buy a house

Oh... hi Mr. Brown can I have your autograph? I have a picture of you up in my bathroom

Good morning TC.
There is talk on hotcopper that Windsor is buying up more farms to sell to the miners. Does that sound right and if so, has he given up all hope of re-election?

He sold his farm to Whitehaven coal a few years ago. He then bought grain growing arable land out west, I think around Coonamble and his son is running it. I haven't heard him buying any other land.

I don't know if he's given up hope of re-election, but he wont get re-elected if he does stand.

See ya's.

Did Bob Brown also tell you what percentage of Australian listed miners' assets are O/S? No he didn't. He gave a bare factoid and allowed all the brain dead to draw conclusions. Our miners own property on all the continents and hundreds of islands. Are the locals there to be excluded from owning part of the action? A sure way to be nationalised if they tried it.

I personally own a couple of hundred g's of O/S miners that ARE NOT listed here. Bob didn't ring me and find out.

I also own BHP shares and of course they would have a lot of O/S shareholders but why not? They have grown by buying some of best mines in the world. To do this they offer the existing shareholders BHP shares and these new shares are O/S owned OBVIOUSLY. How big would BHP be if Bob forced them to pay cash in A$s for all acquisitions? They would have gone the way of MIM, bought by Xtrata for $1.12/sh.

Only some of the brain dead Fish but I'll be sure to send them up to Townsville so that you can educate them .

Bob who !

Sorry random I have to say that's a pretty naive view...

A quick buck you say? If you didn't sell the mines/infrastructure rights, these mines/infrastructure would never have been built. Hence there'd be jobs, no terms of trade in your favour etc. We'd most likely end up like Ireland - correction, you might, as I'd be gone by then.

Examples

Who's building the terminals at Abbott Point in Queensland? (the apparently foreign-owned BHP Billiton)

Who's building up the new terminals at Gladstone such as WICET? (Several parties but not many are Australian)

Who's going to link up the Galilee Basin to Abbott Point? (Gina Rinehart + Chinese or Indians via Adani?)

Who's investing in BICET? (Xstrata)

Who's building all the multi-billion dollar LNG plants on the east coast? (Petronas, PetroChina, Shell, British Gas, MobilExxon etc)

Who's giving money to Gindanble? (AnSteel)

Who's giving money to Oakajee Port & Rail (Mitsubishi and Japanese banks)

Who's been building Port Hedland in the past and who's been helping build existing terminals at the east coast (the foreign-owned BHP, foreign-owned Rio Tinto, Anglo American, Xstrata etc)

Let me give you an alternative if you don't like it...
Go ask the Greens Senator for some $600bn, because over the next 5 years, this much will be needed to be invested in infrastructure.

If Mr. Brown can find that sort of money locally and keep ownership local, then that'd be great. Because without it, he can explain to all the people at Gladstone, Newcastle and all the new developments along the east coast railway systems and Pilbara railways etc why they now don't have a job and why the ailing banks will soon foreclose their houses. Hope none of you have a mortgage if that day ever comes.

My solution:
People who are uninformed should seriously be made to take a test before they can vote

On ya Delta - gee you really have a head full of this stuff don't ya.:confused:

Speaking loosely which doesn't fit in forums for some reason I know and I have far too much to do to even bother going there to be honest and yes it is true , I do not know the intricacies or claim to but speaking very broadly - we do hear across the board day in and day out , of losing more and more our companies, our jobs , our purchasings , we hear of offers !

I realize a mix is fine and a necessity but on the surface it just all seems to be going way too far across the board these days .

Not sure why you put on a question mark face for...

Are you trying to tell me it's better to be an uninformed voter who has some extremist opinion based on 'loose' thoughts that you randomly heard somewhere on talkback radio or read in the comments section of The Daily Telegraph/Farmer's Daily/Herald Sun?

Also, not sure how someone investing in your country causes job loss... it's documented that unemployment is falling (even documented in the Daily Telegraph/Herald Sun, not sure about the Farmer's Daily though).

Ps: for the record, I only know this stuff since my job requires me to talk to/deal with the decision-makers (ie CEOs) and investors (ie billionaires) for such/similar projects

Not sure why you put on a question mark face for...

Are you trying to tell me it's better to be an uninformed voter who has some extremist opinion based on 'loose' thoughts that you randomly heard somewhere on talkback radio or read in the comments section of The Daily Telegraph/Farmer's Daily/Herald Sun?

Also, not sure how someone investing in your country causes job loss... it's documented that unemployment is falling (even documented in the Daily Telegraph/Herald Sun, not sure about the Farmer's Daily though).

Ps: for the record, I only know this stuff since my job requires me to talk to/deal with the decision-makers (ie CEOs) and investors (ie billionaires) for such/similar projects

No , just humor Delta. And no , I couldn't care less about trying to tell anybody anything.
Edit - I can say though that I grew up around big business and unfortunately it was NOT , a nice way to grow up either. So I don't bother carrying around a head full of mush these days and will leave that for you guys.
I did though also build and run from nothing at 18 , my own business for nearly 15 yrs and was pretty well retired by 31ish.
So between the two , you could say I have been around the old block once or twice , is all I am trying to say.
Incidentally , I also went broke at 39.

Anyway , I wasn't having a go at you.

Cheers

Last edited:
No problems. I didn't take offense at all.

Just wanted to explain why it's okay for foreign companies to invest here, why it's okay to sell some of our mines and farms to them (because if we didn't we wouldn't be able to develop it anyway).

It's just frustrating to see how right now the media movement and sentiment around the place is characterised by so much populists and sensationalists.

I actually took a little delve into my sentiments on f/o and in all honestly , I hear what your actually saying in one regard but in the other I must admit I still feel the same , only stronger .

Read up on the views and info of Dick Smith and the like, many farmers views , senator Nick Venofon . These people are "real" players .
We're being bought up left right and center and allowing it where as in many other countries including the ones doing the buying but we couldn't just walse into their's and do the same. And , our laws regarding it all are true to form Australian through and through .
On one hand you have a country that has become so full of fluff it's nanny reputation is proceeding it , yet on the other , as usual , there are holes all over it and that's exactly what we have with our f/o.

It's unbelievable imo , we are selling out our children .

Clinging on to dirt (ie iron ore, coal etc) that we can't use/capitalise on doesn't add anything.

If we were truly visionary, we should capitalies on the dirt during high commodity prices (which would otherwise be worthless and most probably worthless for our children once the construction boom in Asia finishes) and re-channel the money into projects/infrastructure/industries that will generate sustainable jobs (eg become leading-edge in education, bio-tech, professional services etc).

That's how you secure your children's future... Dick Smith can say whatever he wants because he's 'made it'. If he has an alternative solution to improve our prosperity now, then sure. Otherwise I don't hold his views in very high regard.

if I am a chinese soveign fund and I own a milk farm where will I sell the milk
I would think where you can get the best return on it. I find it hard to believe that you could pay Australian labour costs for collecting the milk (it has to be collected here), then ship it to China, and have Chinese people pay more for it than Aussies are willing to pay. If we approached a point where we were running out of essentials, the government could simply prohibit the export of those items. I really don't see supply security as a valid argument against foreign ownership.
My solution:
Amen! Or at the very least, weight people's votes according to their knowledge of relevant issues. ;) Or even how much thought they've put into their opinion, would be better. But our current system of weighing all opinions equally is disastrous when such a huge portion of the populace relies on the mainstream media to be informed. :eek: It seems that many form their opinions on the basis of yes/no dial-up questionnaires, with such objectively worded questions such as "Do you believe foreigners should be prevented from owning essential infrastructure, or are you a naive inner-city dweller who's never been near a working farm or mine in their life and thinks it's better to sell the country's future to foreigners who'd starve us sooner than look at us?" :D
Clinging on to dirt (ie iron ore, coal etc) that we can't use/capitalise on doesn't add anything.

If we were truly visionary, we should capitalies on the dirt during high commodity prices (which would otherwise be worthless and most probably worthless for our children once the construction boom in Asia finishes) and re-channel the money into projects/infrastructure/industries that will generate sustainable jobs (eg become leading-edge in education, bio-tech, professional services etc).

That's how you secure your children's future... Dick Smith can say whatever he wants because he's 'made it'. If he has an alternative solution to improve our prosperity now, then sure. Otherwise I don't hold his views in very high regard.
Deltaberry, I find it hard to agree more with you.

Back