Thoughts on painting while Prop WHITE.

Old 50 year old IP in outer Melbourne- some of the walls are dirty etc so need some paint. This is going to be rented at 300pw .

Need to paint the house and was wondering what everyone thought of using white for walls (same as ceilings so lot of time is saved in cutting etc.)

What are people's thoughts....

Anyone ever see one?

We tried it - it makes the place look - well a bit wierd.....

It is interesting because you can't tell where the wall ends and ceilings begin (we did it to hide the sags in the ceiling for the property we were selling)

The Y-man

Using ceiling white will look a bit odd - too stark.

There are loads of whites.

Sienna Frost has always been a favourite white for lots of people to use on walls. I think another favourite is Antique USA or something like that.

Scott

We did this with a queenslander a few years ago and it looked great. It did save time cutting in and because a queenslander has VJ walls, picture rails and lots of interesting architrave shapes etc, and the ceiling was fancy plaster divided with "strapping", there was enough going on that it didn't look bland at all.

This house had polished honey coloured timber floors which looked great with the white.

Perhaps a plain plaster wall and plain ceiling would have looked like you are inside a white box, but not so with the house we painted.

Makes for a very light interior too.

Need to paint the house and was wondering what everyone thought of using white for walls (same as ceilings so lot of time is saved in cutting etc.)

While I would not do this in ceiling white, I have done it before in a very light cream colour. The ceilings were high (vaulted) in some rooms and so it did not "bring them down" visually too much. It did save on cutting in and changing rollers, so I'd do it again.

Also, What shade of white is the closest to the ceiling white?

I mean which ones I can get away with - not having to do borders etc- where the ceiling meets the wall.

Putting it another way whether the ceilling whites will mix nicely into other shades of wall whites or do I need to stick with some real light family of white.

Thanks Y-man.

Did some quick google on white - Antique USA color seems to be pretty popular? Anymore suggestions on whites ppl...

Is Dulux the default choice for paint or are there other good contenders? wouldnt mind Saving some $$ if similarly good quality is available....

It's probably my imagination - and maybe I've been conditioned by the advertising - but I always find brand name paints are better. They seem to cover better.

Thanks Y-man.

Did some quick google on white - Antique USA color seems to be pretty popular? Anymore suggestions on whites ppl...

Is Dulux the default choice for paint or are there other good contenders? wouldnt mind Saving some $$ if similarly good quality is available....

We have used the cheapest brand name at the time - Dulux has been consistently the most expensive.

We've used (depending on prices at the time) Taubman and British Paints - and they 've held up fine.

The Y-man

My favourite is Antique white for ceilings/skirtings and hogsbristle for walls. Same for every house, though occasionally a darker skirting colour works well. Seems to make the house look newer, and saves me picking a new colour each time!

I'm not sure about Melbourne, but in Brisbane I've sourced a guy that sells paint in damaged tins. Nothing wrong with the paint at all.. all Taubmans, and less than half the price than in Bunnings or a paint shop.. I reckon there might be one of these guys in every city? Try ebay first.

Do all mine with flat ceiling white and walls low luster white , no problems
cutting in, you don't notice any paint on the other.
Doors/architraves etc semi gloss white.

I then usually go for a dark curtain material, normally dark gray.

The ceiling and walls in our house are all Dulux Lexicon Qtr- this is ceiling white with a touch of black- I googled and it was the colour closest to pure white. Ceiling white has no tint in it so will match any of the whites. Antique White has a touch of yellow in it, which got accentuated by our pine floors

The ceiling and walls in our house are all Dulux Lexicon Qtr- this is ceiling white with a touch of black- I googled and it was the colour closest to pure white. Ceiling white has no tint in it so will match any of the whites. Antique White has a touch of yellow in it, which got accentuated by our pine floors

Painted our last one in Lexicon Qtr - ceiling and walls.

This is a very good tip above about black tint to white paint.
Your paint place will know this trick.
It stops the shadowing effect when brushing and rolling.

We were told many years ago that putting a little black into the white paint also stopped it "yellowing" (as white tends to do over time).

can someone explain more....

What do I need to ask the paint place to do this? Does this work for all shades of white (Antique white USA etc)

whats shadowing?

can someone explain more....

What do I need to ask the paint place to do this? Does this work for all shades of white (Antique white USA etc)

whats shadowing?

I'll give shadowing a go.

When you paint with brilliant white paint especially with brush the bristle
ridges can cause a shadow over the valley causing is to look more greyish,
your brush strokes look more prominent. adding a small amount of black tint
takes the shadowing away but still leaves a brilliant white paint.

A good paint supplier should know this if you ask.
However if you go to Bunnings and get a new kid out of school who knows
nothing it might be best to go to a more independent outlet about the black tint technique.

I'm not sure if it works for different kinds of whites but I know it does for standard whites.

Hope that all makes sense, hopefully we have a pro painter on here who can explain better.

Im not sure how much they add I just ask can you ad some black tint like the pro's use
and its done .

For a nice safe neutral I'd second 1/4 or 1/2 strength Hog Bristle- worked a treat on my living room walls but the ceilings are all white (just looks better). Cream is definitely not in right now ;)

Back