We're building towards a home construction boom

They must be doing something right, they seem to be going from strength to strength.
Like I said, there's always a market for peddling doom and gloom... just look at Zerohedge and Mish. Rarely right about anything yet they attract huge traffic volumes. There are a lot of people in the world who feel entitled to more than they can currently afford, for a price lower than everyone else is willing to pay... and these sites feed them hope... feed their dreams.

I don't recall their main property contributor (Leith Van Onselen) saying "property crash"

Leith called it a 'slow melt', and the owner of the site, David Llewellyn-Smith, in 2011 predicted falling house prices in real and nominal terms for the next decade...

''it is a near certainty that Australian housing will lose value in nominal and real terms for the next decade'

He's already been proved wrong on that one, with house prices rising over the past year, and Sydney currently at a brand new all-time-high peak.

In line with the above Denning and the team at money morning were recently promoting property growth in an ad :eek:

If you're being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it look like a parade :D

David Llewellyn-Smith, in 2011 predicted falling house prices in real and nominal terms for the next decade...

''it is a near certainty that Australian housing will lose value in nominal and real terms for the next decade'

He's already been proved wrong on that one, with house prices rising over the past year, and Sydney currently at a brand new all-time-high peak.
Hi Shadow, the only mention that I can see of crash in that article is where David says it would be very damaging if a housing strike caused one... so (as per usual) you are being disingenuous with your portrayal of the views expressed on MB (which says more about you than MB).

Furthermore you claim David is wrong, but housing is down in real and nominal terms from the time of the article.

Residex (Australia):
March 2011: $441,500 - Houses, $402,000 - Units
April 2013: $437,000 - Houses, $399,500 - Units

ABS (Weighted Average of 8 Capital Cities):
March 2011: 147.3
March 2013: 146

Yes they have bounced over the last 12 months, but you are trying to make the prediction something it wasn't.

For the record I wouldn't be surprised to see property prices lower in real terms than the peak (in 2021, a decade after the article), but doubt that nominal prices would be that low.

doubt that nominal prices would be that low.
Exactly, it's a ridiculous prediction.

He said it was a near certainty that house prices will fall in nominal terms for the next decade.

Even an average 1% nominal decline per annum would leave prices more than 45% down in real terms, assuming 3% pa CPI.

That's a crash. It's bigger than the crash predicted by Steve Keen.

(Keen said his 40% crash was based in both real and nominal terms because he expected zero CPI inflation)

Glenn Stevens speech yesterday.

"Likewise, dwelling investment has been low for an unusually long period, with at least some households intent on reducing debt, thereby strengthening balance sheets. Households have accumulated a good deal of cash as well over recent years. Meanwhile, population growth is quite solid and it has been picking up a bit of late. If anything, we will need to build more dwellings than we have been over recent years. Meanwhile, interest rates are low, dwellings are more ‘affordable’, and finance approvals for housing purchases have risen by 16 per cent over the past year. So there are ‘fundamentals’ that favour a pick-up in these sectors."

Perhaps this is indicating that with the slowdown of mining investment, (the BOOM is not over we are still digging gear out of the ground at record rates) the reserve bank will encourage policy to boost the construction industry?

we are just shifting of coal and iron ore into LNG and other resources sector, china is slowing down on building development.

i am seeing positive eitherway australia does need more houses to slow down the house prices rise due to shortages. in terms reduce the bubble and we wont have a crash like other countries.

Sure is a slow start to the construction boom!

Another plug for your MacroGloom website?

That data is for completions. Approvals and starts have surged, especially in Sydney.

But as usual your doom & gloom site spins everything in the most negative light. How's your recession and 'slow melt' coming along?

ABS Update Highlights the Challenge Ahead of New Home Building

Another plug for your MacroGloom website?

That data is for completions. Approvals and starts have surged, especially in Sydney.

But as usual your doom & gloom site spins everything in the most negative light. How's your recession and 'slow melt' coming along?

Poor 'ol Harley at the HIA could do with some Shadow-tinted glasses. Do you have a spare pair?

“Even allowing for a higher GFC stimulus-induced peak in 2010, the subsequent drop in dwelling commencements (housing starts) over 2011 and 2012 remains significant,” said Harley Dale. “The further decline of 5.5 per cent in dwelling commencements in the March 2013 quarter reinforces how much work lies ahead to ensure a new home building recovery is both sustainable and of a magnitude that reflects Australia’s housing and wider economic needs.”

“The number of dwelling commencements fell in five out of six states in the first quarter of 2013, while a flat result was recorded for New South Wales. On a six month annualised basis, dwelling commencements continue to track well below the housing requirements of the population in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, and the Northern Territory.”

On the upside, ongoing underbuilding means your "mother of all crashes" prediction also remains in the realms of fantasy.

in the first quarter of 2013, while a flat result was recorded for New South Wales. On a six month annualised basis, dwelling commencements continue to track well below the housing requirements
Flat for Sydney last quarter but the data is notoriously volatile, and the surge in prior quarters for NSW was very strong.

On the upside, ongoing underbuilding means your "mother of all crashes" prediction also remains in the realms of fantasy.
I think you have me confused with Steve Keen. First time for everything I suppose.

I think you have me confused with Steve Keen. First time for everything I suppose.

Did Steve Keen steal your password?

Michael Yardney makes the following statement in his newsletter this month...

Now... I happen to agree with this. I believe the next property crash will begin sometime around 2016, and it could be a big one.

So what will cause this crash?

First of all, we need to consider our recent property boom, which in Australia was characterised primarily by the exchange of existing stock, rather than the development of new stock.

In other words, it was not a construction-led boom, unlike the recent boom in the USA (and also Ireland).

This means we now have a shortage of stock in many places as we move into the next growth cycle during a period of record population growth, record low vacancy rates, and rising rents.

As interest rates fall, the credit crunch eases, and house prices start rising again, I expect a new construction-led boom to kick off in Australia, probably around 2010-2011.

However, I think there is a good chance we will make the same mistake as the US... we will eventually build too many houses (there are currently 18.6 million empty houses in the US).

This oversupply will create a massive glut of property late next decade, just as the baby boomers start to die off, which will further increase supply and reduce demand. This is what will trigger the next big crash.
Anyway, that's just my theory. I would be interested to hear what Michael had in mind when he made the above statement in his newsletter, and also to hear what the other forum members think.

Cheers,

Shadow.

Last edited:
Here we go... http://www.theadviser.com.au/breaking-news/28987-ten-year-high-for-housing

Ten-year high for housing

28 August 2013

The number of properties being constructed in Sydney has reached a 10-year high, jumping by more than one third in a year, according to NSW premier Barry O’Farrell.

With figures from the NSW Department of Planning and Infrastructure showing that 21,097 homes were built in Sydney during the past financial year, Mr O’Farrell said housing is an important driver.

“Housing is such a crucial economic driver because of the jobs it creates and the flow-on investment as people buy new appliances, carpet, blinds and furnishings,” Mr O’Farrell said.

Apparently

The Australian Financial Review,
backed by APM data, reported
that with continued Auction
Clearance rates into the last
weekend in July, the housing
market was at its “highest levels
in more than 10 years”

Shhhh.....there's a boom coming

Is it just me, or is there a change on this forum?

It seems to me that more and more people are flocking to this forum wanting to buy their first IP. It might just be my perception, but it really feels like it to me.

If this is true, I'm guessing that's just another sign of the current boom not being isolated to Brisbane, inner Melbourne and western Sydney, but that it could become wider spread than that.

Will retiring Baby Boomer's affect the market, along with the children of the Baby Boomer's who have already started their own families wanting there own homes also

An increase in immigration seems necessary,but where will the migrants actually come from (South America, Africa, or the Middle East ?)

Robert Kiyosaki's – “Prophecy” was an interesting read

When the Baby boomers start retiring, will they will cash in their investments (Shares, IP, Gold) and cause a general bust in all investment markets :confused:

Somethink to think about ;)

Australia is growing at unprecedented rates. Our current population growth rate – having gone from 1.6% to 1.7% in the last several months – means that we are growing by almost 400,000 people very year! Our current population increase is the equivalent of one new Coffs Harbour every 8 weeks, or one new Gold Coast every 19 months! On April 23 of this year, our population reached the iconic 23 million mark.

This population growth has significant implications for Australian communities. Join us at this year's Australian Communities Forum as we unravel the key demographic shifts and their effect on the social and economic outlook of everyday Australians.

Twice the Size of 1966
In 1966 Australia’s population was 11.5 million and so it has taken just 47 years to double to 23 million. The global population doubled at a slightly faster rate, hitting 3.5 billion in 1968 and reaching 7 billion in late 2011, a period of just over 43 years.

World-Beating Growth Rate
The global population is increasing at 1.1% per annum, the fastest growing country in total numbers, India is growing at 1.4% while Australia’s growth is 1.7%.

Births Exceed 300,000
For the first time in Australia’s history, annual births have exceeded 300,000 in the last year. Keep in mind that the original Baby Boom which created Australia’s largest generation – the Baby Boomers, peaked out at 260,000 births in the early 1960’s.

People read too much in to the words of a few individuals who notoriously spurt prophecies in mainstream media.

Even on this forum, there are probably no shortage of people or people whose famileis are far more succssful than them, who probably don't share their views.

Somethink to think about ;)
when I read these sorts of stats, I can't help thinking about the two rats in a cage scenario.

And the problem is, it's not the upper end of financial and education sections of the population who are producing the vast bulk of that growth.

And with manufacturing on the decline, and in a stagnating economy....where will they get jobs?

HIA actuals & forecasts

2011 155.41
2012 151.51
2013 151.52
2014 151.60
2015 156.33

Clearly this is a topic that shadow has no competence in, just like all those others predicting and touting booms every month for the last few years.

Back