What do you do?

Believe it or not, the no.1 peeve my dates had was, why I kept getting free stuff and they didn’t. Some would then try to turn on the charm and fail epically. They would get really upset LOL (Even if I paid at the end :p).

Waiter/waitresses, retail assistants, I often get free dinner/desert, 30% discounts on clothes, free furniture. I genuinely never even noticed until someone pointed it out a year ago.

I could only put it down to, people just really appreciate being heard and engaging in genuine conversation.

I thought you were going to say stunning looks :D

You will find that this is increasingly becoming an outdated question.

I have found that younger adults (18-25) won't even come up with this question in the first hour of meeting someone, if not at all, whereas older age groups use this as an ice breaker.

The current arguments circulating universities regarding this is related to how we conceptualise identity, where historically it was centralised around work (I'm a professional/blue collar/tradie/surgeon etc) and now appears to be transitioning to experiences, lifestyle and culture. (I follow sports/computer gamer/musician)

When I meet someone new (and no so very often in my pretty sheltered social life), this is my only icebreaker......

....I dont know much about anything else but work!

pinkboy

You will find that this is increasingly becoming an outdated question.

I don't ask this Q unless someone makes a comment about work and then i'm more likey to ask them where they work and try to work it out from there :eek:.

I think a lot of people do worry that others will judge them - even when they're perfectly happy with what they do - and this is why people don't tend to ask.

Why I don't ask if they invest, what they earn, if they have children, etc.

Full time contract driver for DHL and part time developer. Hoping to switch the two around in the coming years.

When I meet someone new (and no so very often in my pretty sheltered social life), this is my only icebreaker......

....I dont know much about anything else but work!

pinkboy

I imagine you having a similar problem to me.

"So Jake, what you been up to"

"Um, work. And parenting. Mostly just work."

I thought 'emos' wouldn't be allowed near knives and other sharp objects...

i am only allowed near rubber knives for mine and others safety apparently i am an Emo with a temper.

And as for the hours pretty unsociable work most weekends and split shifts during the week but do get about 6 weeks holidays a year and i pretty much get what ever time off i want no questions asked

Exactly what it says on the tin, I'm a Buyers Agent.

Crossed over from the Darkside (REA) a few years ago and can't imagine doing anything else now.

Back