What do you turn to when you are down?

Have you ever known anayone with clinical depression? You might change your mind if you have...

there are some who are posting on this thread that need to get a real life surely??

my god talk about feeling sorry for themselves..

get outdoors, smell the fresh air at least!

personally i dont have time for self pity and felling sorry for myself.....much prefer to think of the positives in life...like just living and getting on with it.

i really dislike this thread after reading it...........

anyone that feels down should not blame anyone or anything but themselves, its a mental state, nothing more...........

you only get out of life what you put into it, if you dont contribute, stay grumpy and down cause the world wont stop for anyone...........

regards from sunny and happy qld.

Have you ever known anayone with clinical depression? You might change your mind if you have...

You beat me to it. But even for those who are "normal" (whatever that is) being "down" is generally part of life. Luckily for most, their low times are short and quickly followed by getting back to "normal".

Of course, you don't have to have clinical depression to have a day when you just feel a bit low. You just need a couple of teenagers :D.

i clean.

kitchen, bathroom, floors - whatever.

i'll work on my car, fiddle, fix rust, clean it...

cleaning is a big thing for me when i'm upset.

or angry.

or tired.

or bored.

i think it'd a bit OB_C but hey, cut a man some slack.

Happy good natured people lift my spirits. Fortunately for me I'm never down for too long because I'm usually surrounded by people I like through my everyday involvement with work extended family children and sport.

As I've got older I've tended switch off to the negative whingy types - they're hard work and enough to ruin a good mood.

You beat me to it. But even for those who are "normal" (whatever that is) being "down" is generally part of life. Luckily for most, their low times are short and quickly followed by getting back to "normal".

Of course, you don't have to have clinical depression to have a day when you just feel a bit low. You just need a couple of teenagers :D.

clinical depression is way different to what most posters are on about in this thread.....most by my calculation just need to get a grip to be honest and get on with it...........

no need to preach to me about clinical depression thankyou.

Couldn't have put it better myself, Wylie!!! :eek:

If it's any consolation, they eventually turn into human beings by about age 25! ;)

But back to the thread .....

Cheers
LynnH

clinical depression is way different to what most posters are on about in this thread.....most by my calculation just need to get a grip to be honest and get on with it...........

no need to preach to me about clinical depression thankyou.

Actually...... don't believe I was preaching to you at all. Perhaps you need to get a grip.

there are some who are posting on this thread that need to get a real life surely??

my god talk about feeling sorry for themselves..

get outdoors, smell the fresh air at least!

personally i dont have time for self pity and felling sorry for myself.....much prefer to think of the positives in life...like just living and getting on with it.

i really dislike this thread after reading it...........

anyone that feels down should not blame anyone or anything but themselves, its a mental state, nothing more...........

you only get out of life what you put into it, if you dont contribute, stay grumpy and down cause the world wont stop for anyone...........

regards from sunny and happy qld.

CSC

Fortunately for you, you seem to have a disposition conducive to always feeling happy and content, others may not, due to various reasons that I will not elaborate on at this time (so as not to "hijack" thread).

The other thing that occured to me while reading your post is that it reveals to me that you may have "issues" that are supressed with this "get a life" and "mental state" attitude.

C'mon mate, whats really bothering you?
You can talk to me!

It has nothing to do with one feeling sorry for themselves at all. Dig a little deeper, you may be surprised with what you uncover.?

Big Tone

Deppression. Not Us ??

Most of my early life till arely 30's I was happy as Larry. Everything I did turned to gold. Every job i wanted i just got. Life was great :)
Then within a week I went from a great life and future to being on a dialysis machine. I soon lost my job, had huge debts , was sick and got to know what depression was. Up until then i just believed anyone with the sulks and depressed attitude was a looser. My opinion was just get over it.
Once I had depression my thoughts changed. At the height of it i could not get out of bed. I would lay in a pitch black sealed room all day and not want to do anything or see anyone. I could not eat. had heart pulpitations. Dry throat and constant sick feeling. As it gets worse you just sink into a deeper and deeper hole. Ok for everyone to say just pick yourself up and do something. When you collapse just walking a few metres.
Fortunately for me my Renal team could see me slipping into a hole of self harm and referred me to a shrink. I had councelling and was placed on anti depressant medication. This no doubt saved my life. That was back in 1993.
I have had a couple of other hits of depression since then but know now how to pick up the signs and get medication. No I do not class myself as a weirdo or some drug taking whacko.

As to what I do when stressed. Walk along the beach. Go camping for a couple of days, and as well i am a cleaning freak.

If i am stressed I start cleaning and organising and thinking as I go.

If my wife comes home and the pantry is empty and I am arranging everything in order and cleaning she asks what is wrong? My wifes friends think this is funny. They say their husbands lay on the lounge and drink all day. So next time I get angry, stressed etc send me to their place for the day :cool:

Also tragically a father from my childrens school suicided 2 weeks ago.

He had a blood disease and was getting sicker . We use to talk at school about all the simular treatments we were receiving. eg Infusions, self injections daily, and boxes of medication. And constant exhaustion.

I was away at Fraser Island and had not seen him since returning.
When I questioned a parent as to how he was he told me that he had just had enough and had suicided while I was away :(

Pretty tragic stuff. Left a wife and 3 children behind.

So if you are lucky enough to be happy that is great.
But do not ever think you will never be depressed .

I use to think that.

Gee Cee

Writing from lunny bin hospital :rolleyes:

eat
sex
exercise
talk
sleep
relax
music
getting things done that need to get done or taking a break from things that need doing and just relaxing
time away near the beach is rejuvenating for me
keep doing what you need to do
go away, relax,
relax on my own quietly
or chat to understanding smart people with helpful attitudes
positive self talk
appreciation,

read, or listen or watch inspirational shows tapes books dr phil or oprah have alot of inspiring shows and they can be taped and watched at a convenient time same with comedies or any show that we find relaxing or uplifting.
'The Secret 'kept me positive and thriving during some challenges. I'd listen to the cd while i was getting ready or doing housework or going for walks or driving
some supplements are meant to help mood. I really a book recently that said you will notice a difference withint an hour of taking them
vit bs especially b6 and b12, magnesium, fish oils,
solve an issue,
talk it out,
relax,
take time out,
enjoy a comedy,
spend time with supportive uplifting people
stay away from harsh deenergising people

I once read that if you are down look at 3 things
more enjoyments
less harshness
and fullfilling things in your life.
a good massage picks up my energy and takes away stress i find.

wishing everyone many happy days and few down days.

Francine.

Keep busy, place things in your life, that means you have to be their, sport , social, and yards and gardens, just always have somthing to do!

Actually...... don't believe I was preaching to you at all. Perhaps you need to get a grip.

Oh! I'm so sorry...Ive got a grip...now what?

Best you take a few happy pills and stay off the pulpit for a bit and let the blood pressure settle.............

Gees! theres some whining on S/S today...some of you must be losing money somewhere id say: real estate, ponies, dogs, pokies??? All of those perhaps?

Seek councilling for all issues of the mind and wallet or both will end up empty.

Good luck.

CSC

Fortunately for you, you seem to have a disposition conducive to always feeling happy and content, others may not, due to various reasons that I will not elaborate on at this time (so as not to "hijack" thread).

The other thing that occured to me while reading your post is that it reveals to me that you may have "issues" that are supressed with this "get a life" and "mental state" attitude.

C'mon mate, whats really bothering you?
You can talk to me!

It has nothing to do with one feeling sorry for themselves at all. Dig a little deeper, you may be surprised with what you uncover.?

Big Tone

I dont believe have any mental issues my friend but you on the other hand have not been given the gift of mind reading...Read into my post anything you wish, water off a ducks back to me..........Perhaps a cup of concrete may harden you up as well?

Im all empathy for anyone where its required but I simply just dont support any mug who says they are in a depression when in fact its usually nothing more than they are having a crap day like everyone else has at times.Depression as a description is just too widely used these days in my uneducated non medical background opinion.....read into this whatever you like Dr Phil.

I dont intend to argue "my case" about it in this thread, you can argue with yourself if you wish.

Have a nice happy day!

Depression as a description is just too widely used these days in my uneducated non medical background opinion.....read into this whatever you like Dr Phil.

This is a very good point.

When we lived in the US, it became very obvious to us that their culture was heavily brainwashed about being "up", being positive - a "we can do it" mentaility.

"Have a nice day" and all their other cheesy sayings that we are unfortunately starting to absorb here.

And this is great; we all need to try and live life this way to a point, but when it is rammed down your throat in various ways like the yanks have it, then it doesn't take a lot to realise that it will create an unattainable level of "up" for your whole life.

The result would be people who think they have something wrong with them because they feel down, or feel bad on a semi-regular basis. Which - I believe - would be normal. It is impossible to feel great every minute of every day.

So, now they think there is something majorly wrong with them because they can't be "up" all the time like everyone else seems to be, and like the teev tells us we can be, and next thing you know they are in "therapy" to find out why they are different to everyone else.

Little do they know that everyone else is putting on this brave, happy facade and is in therapy too.

Although now, it has become cool to be in therapy - just look at the Celebs (actually - don't :rolleyes:)

They encourage a whole generation of the folk to get on the bandwagon.

"Oh yeah; I'm in therapy after my last movie tanked; I'm sooo depressed"...

So then all the viewers and readers are, like; "Hey; all those "whatever" chicks and dudes I watch on the teev are seeing a shrink - I should too! Mom - can you make me an appointment?"

Also tragically a father from my childrens school suicided 2 weeks ago.

Gee Cee
So sorry to hear of the loss of a friend and support person Gee Cee. I hope you have plenty of other support around you. All the best.

I think some people have to work harder at being happy and positive than others. At the age of two my daughter started coming out with very negative comments.

I have an article here about anxiety/depression which states developing anxiety begins at conception.

Research shows bred mice that lacked important receptors for seretonin left them unable to utilize this important neurotransmitter. They found that mice between 5 and 20 days old without the ability to process serotonin developed mouse anxiety as adults.

Oh! I'm so sorry...Ive got a grip...now what?

Hey buddy. You are the one who was having a whinge. I was not preaching at you.

Seems YOU have the problem. LOL you are having a whinge about others on here having a whinge. Oh... the irony :rolleyes:.

Investor,
I beleive there could be genetic or environmental issues that lead to low serotonin levels and they can be lifted by some antidepressants, or supplements that give the brain what it needs to manufacture more of it as well as exercise, sex, and meditation can release feel good hormones that help. I read in a book that some people turn to illegal drugs to give the brain what it needs when actually natural supplements or activities can help the brain alot and quickly. Its now known fairly widely that various supplements b vitamins and fish oil help people to feel better. I also read that if you take rescue remedy which is in most chemists and health food shops , daily even when you dont actually need it that its very soothing and uplifting for the nervous system and for moods.

Francine.

Hey buddy. You are the one who was having a whinge. I was not preaching at you.

Seems YOU have the problem. LOL you are having a whinge about others on here having a whinge. Oh... the irony :rolleyes:.

umm its an open forum u hillarious muppet......im entitled to my opinion just like everyone else..if you disagree so be it.

go read a book or something, that will ease your stress over this thread one would hope......:)

come back tomorrow refreshed and ready to tackle the week ahead.

Interesting comments Francine. I've been on warfarine for a few weeks and not allowed to take fish oil plus various other vitamins. I'm allowed vit B but haven't bothered with my vit B either which doctor prescribed. Exercise has been very limited due to injuries for past 10 wks. No wonder I've been such a grump lately! Just started back on vit B, I'll see if it makes a diff, might have to put my daughter on a vegemite diet.

Back