Whirly Birds and Damp

Damp

Hiya

I just found out she dries her clothes INSIDE the house...when i asked her she claims she has been doing it SUMMER and WINTER and no problems with Mould and dampness at all in SUMMER..only WINTER..go figure:eek:

SHe claims the problem can't be solely this as the dampness is simply too much!

She does not use the dryer as this causes the floor tiles to sweat

SHe claims the problem can't be solely this as the dampness is simply too much!

She's right. But it will be a contributing factor. And there will be others. It's a matter of dealing with several causes. The combined effect of them is the problem.

Simply....ventilation of the house.

She is not letting things to dry out by locking it up tight during winter.

There must be some ventilation at all times especially winter when it's much harder to dry out.

Drying clothes inside will put plenty of moisture in the air which then condescends at night.

If she insists then insist back..."open the bloody windows a bit!";)

I have exactly the same problem in my rental property.

I have tried fixing with insulation and whirly. Still seems to be an issue. Condensation on ceiling and walls. House is raised above the ground. Walls are not plaster but cement sheeting? Can that make a difference?

I have had some similar issues at my place.

Had an expert come out and quoted $3k+ for a ducted dehumidifier kind of set up.

He did say that moist air rises, so I did put some ceiling vents in most rooms and bought a Whirly bird from Bunnings for $99. They come in a few colors to match your roof. It was easy to fit (tile roof).

This has helped alot. It has not fixed the issue (rising damp), but has managed to keep things circulating and improved things by 80%.

I've been on a rampage recently - having bathroom and laundry extraction fans fitted in my managed properties.

We've had huge issues with mould, a few court cases relating to mould and poor ventilation (one to the tune of $75,000 and a $25,000 QCAT decision against an owner).

A great many of our newer managements are in 'investor targeted' units. Small complexes, all look the same, budget fittings, flat pack kitchens, and NO bathroom or laundry exhaust ventilation. Combined with the tiny windows that offer no release of steam - we have problems with mould.

Typically these units are purchased by first time investors, on the promise that they will be maintenance free, forever.

I've made it my personal goal in the office to get clients to install exhaust fans into these bathrooms and laundries that don't have them.

I have the electrician install the quietest models and wire them so that they are permanently on where possible (ie - the tenant has no choice in whether or not to use them - much like a hardwired smoke alarm).

I think I've done around 40 properties so far. Some owners have refused, but in my opinion it is foolish to do so.

On topic - I put whirlybirds on my roof and found that it did make my own bathroom exhaust fan (vented to the roof cavity) work more efficiently. It also reduced the humidity in the attic and helped with the heat (I think - might just be placebo effect) :)

Matt

Just to note that a whirly isn't likely to help with moisture issues inside the house - it can only help if the problem is moisture trapped inside the roof space. What is needed is ventilation of the house to let the moisture built up there escape.

Humans create moisture, clothes washing and drying creates moisture, gas cooktops / cooking creates moisture, having a shower / bath creates moisture, etc etc etc. There has to be somewhere for all that moisture to go or it will just condense on interior surfaces. Ironically the better insulated a house is, the more likely it is that it will trap moisture inside. Old houses were so leaky that ventilation would happen regardless - remember those ventilated bricks that were all the rage 30 years ago?

And having no exhaust fan in a bathroom is just asking for trouble from day one - I remember my first house had that problem with the inevitable mould on the ceiling and top of the walls as a result. First thing I did was put one in and cleaned up the mould, which of course then never came back.

Open a window or two! The house will smell better for it too! Problem solved...

As the property is only 1 year old is it worth contacting the builder to see if there is a more serious problem? If it is a unit is anyone else in the complex having the same problem?

Some tenants won't leave any windows open for security reasons when they're out (I would be fairly sure I've predicted this one right!). Perhaps a sturdy security screen on a window in one of the main offending areas with the promise of her leaving it open during the day to get some air-flow??

Just to note that a whirly isn't likely to help with moisture issues inside the house - it can only help if the problem is moisture trapped inside the roof space. What is needed is ventilation of the house to let the moisture built up there escape.

if you have an exhaust fan in the ceiling vented into the roof space it will.
that will then allow the house to be vented 24/7 - tenant cant turn it off

WHirly Birds

Hiya

So i have received a quote supply and install:

2 Whirly Birds plus 2 plates (on Colour bond roof): one over the living room and one over the bedroom

2 Whirly Mates (ceiling vents?)

2 Eave vents

Total $1250

Ex builder who gave the quote said it will cure 70% of the damp in the house...
Other 30% is due to trees all around and recommend we cut them.

Is the quote reasonable?

Hiya

So i have received a quote supply and install:

2 Whirly Birds plus 2 plates (on Colour bond roof): one over the living room and one over the bedroom

2 Whirly Mates (ceiling vents?)

2 Eave vents

Total $1250

Ex builder who gave the quote said it will cure 70% of the damp in the house...
Other 30% is due to trees all around and recommend we cut them.

Is the quote reasonable?

Looks like about $1000 labour there for a few hours work.

I'd throw the quote up on serviceseeking.com.au and since you can be specific with whats involved, you'll get plenty of fast responses, very competitively priced.

I needed some commercial painting done recently and had about 6 replies in about 15 minutes from ServiceSeeking.com.au
Had to shut the ad down right away to stop getting emailed, called and messaged.
When they need work, you get good price...

A Whirly bird will not solve any moisture problems you have in the house.

They are to vent the roof space. If you put a whirly bird in the roof, it will draw air out of your home, through downlights/exhaust vents.

You will lose your thermal rating, and have higher energy costs for heating and cooling.

A Whirly bird will not solve any moisture problems you have in the house.

They are to vent the roof space. If you put a whirly bird in the roof, it will draw air out of your home, through downlights/exhaust vents.

You will lose your thermal rating, and have higher energy costs for heating and cooling.

a whirly bird with whirlie mates (ceiling vents will)
if it solves the tenants damp problems then so be it if it costs the tenant a bit more in thermal heating/cooling

Whirly Birds

Hiya

So i have got a quote 2 whirly birds + 2 plates + 2 whirly mates + 2 eave vents supply and intall

One came in at 1250 and another one at 660:eek:

Is there anyone who has just installed the above or who can recommend an installer? I'm in Sydney

thanks

Hiya

So i have got a quote 2 whirly birds + 2 plates + 2 whirly mates + 2 eave vents supply and intall

One came in at 1250 and another one at 660:eek:

Is there anyone who has just installed the above or who can recommend an installer? I'm in Sydney

thanks
I like the way everyone has there tried and tested opinion on the subject of damp in a house, but when it comes down to it how many people has tried several of these opinions and failed only to resort to a professional who knows what they are talking about. Can I recommend you go with a company that deals with the problem daily and really knows how to resolve your problem rather than saying I will install this and that and it might work!!! Get a guarantee that the solution solves the problem. "Sticking" a whirly bird or two and eaves vents will not necessarily fix the problem, Badly placed they will be useless, like trying to cool your house with a battery powered desk fan:eek:
Your problem is from the internal and congested in the roof space.Resolve the problem by directly ventilating or dehumidifying the problem area. Here is a thought for you as a landlord in respect to ROI. Install a product that will fix the problem, give quality fresh through the building, reduce risk from termite attack, clean warm air - happy tenant, in turn building is protected, tenant is very happy and does not want to move, rent goes marginally up and you have no void periods for years!!! I know what I would do..

Who should we call? Who is an expert on this?

We had a mouldy ceiling in an IP and got in a roofer. He wanted us to replace the roof for about $25K from memory. Got another roofer who said the current one is fine.

I'm keen to know what sort of person I should call if this arises again?

Hi Virgo

What did you do and what was your result?

As far as specific companies - well I am glad you asked. They seem to be a mottle crew of self professed experts pushing specific products at over inflated prices.:eek:

No doubt our previous poster has a company that sells such a product.:p:D

At least he refrains from posting a link.

Bottom line - get rid off the damp as many posts have already indicated and the problem is solved. If you need to go and spend big bucks to solve a tenants inability to understand the need for ventilation then change tenants.

Cheers

Back