white knight tile paint

I have just been to the site at http://www.notgoodenough.org/ I note that White Knight Paints has a discussion on there at present (number 10 on the gripes list, but I think this is more discussion than actual gripes) anyway, a company rep is looking into a query on the site maybe post a query on there and ask him to check it out for you.

cheers House Proud

great topic

I am so happy to be able to benifit from others experience and experiments. I will use the tile paint on my next reno in Feb. I do several renos a year although mostly cosmetic, so anything that will lift the appearance of old tiles will greatly help my rent return and in turn my bottom line.

Thanks so much to all for your valuable input.

DD1

great discussion.

We are doing a huge area with the tile paint and the laminate paint. I have a huge bucket of Tricleanium here - what do you think about using that instead of the WK cleaner?

I have used this product on kitchen cupboards and shower tiles, I don't think the particular cleaning product you use is so vital, as long as the surface is very clean - no soap scum or greasy bits of any kind that will form a layer between primer and tile. On the tiles I also gave them a light sand, seemed to help.

Painting bathroom tiles, bathtub, laminex?

Hi

Bathroom:

Painting: Looking for testimonials about success longterm of painting tiles and a bathtub and in the shower (tiled walls only). How do they take wear and tear and cleaning?

Has anyone successfully painted a bathtub and it's stood the test of time without scratching off or being hard to clean?

We have a lovely (not) peach acrylic tub.

Wombat in a 2004 post used White Knight products. Anyone used new/different products since then?

Basin: Anyone know websites I could buy a bathroom basin cheaper than instore?

Kitchen: Has anyone succesfully painted laminex? We have a warm creamy yellow matt laminex in the kitchen. Would like it to be white gloss. If we use enamel, can anyone suggest a suitable undercoat to prepare the surface?

Cheers
Alia

Hi

I’ve just finished a bathroom reno for an IP using the white knight tile paint and am really happy with the result. I’ve never used it before and had my first go at tiling and grouting too (adding a small decorative strip of tiles over the top) – it was fun (just takes a bit of patience)!! So I’ll spell out the process in a bit more detail for those who might be thinking of trying it but have never used the stuff.

I painted the ceiling and wall first (2 coats), then washed all the tiles with the cleaner that’s part of the white knight “system”. As others have said this is really important to do properly so that the primer sticks.

Primer took ages to put on but is easy to work with and just requires a brush. I was really careful to get it into the grout lines as well so it took about 3h but mine is a pretty big bathroom. Half way through the shower I realised that the previous owner / handyman had gone wild on the silicone and the primer will not paint over that. I had to wash the primer off again and decided to leave the original tiles in the shower bare (luckily they were ok and uni-colour).

I then glued the decorative tiles above the existing tiles and let that dry over night. Next day I started the first coat of the tile paint. As others have said it’s quite viscous and dries quickly. Initially I used a brush but I just couldn’t get the coat thin enough so that it wouldn’t run down the tiles.

So in the end I used a “little ripper” (10cm long) mohair roller (which is meant to work with enamel paint) in one hand to put the paint on and a brush in the other hand. The roller allowed me to get the paint on thinly but did leave lots of little bubbles (maybe try the finest foam roller you can find but I didn’t have one). I ended up covering about 0.5m2 at the time with the roller and then running the brush over it to smooth out the finish. This worked really well as I needed the brush anyway to cut in at the edges and around taps etc. The other big advantage of the roller is that it breaks the skin of the paint easily (dries over very quickly) and you can wet-edge much easier that way (and go back for another 20mins or so without leaving permanent marks). Trying to wet-edge with the brush alone left streaks I found.

The tin said 6h between coats but I thought after that time it was still a bit sticky so I left it over night and then put the second coat on. Same procedure and it took just as long again. 3h each coat and the primer … yes, it’s not a quick process! Left the second coat over night and grouted the tiles next day. Paint was good and dry by then and grouting didn’t leave any marks, however because of the small size of the tiles I mainly used my hands for grouting anyway (and find myself with very smooth hands today :D ).

I did the bathroom as part of a larger reno so I could stretch the bathroom reno over 5 days as I had other things to do in between. If you wanted to do this over a weekend you’d have to time things carefully I would say. I’m very glad I gave it a go myself. I had 2 quotes both coming in at ca. $2500 for having it done professionally and I would have still had to paint the ceiling and do the tiling myself. Instead the material for tile painting was less than $150 and I’m happy with the result –so all good!

kaf

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 338
  • bathroom before.jpg
    bathroom before.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 329
WOW kaf looks fantastic.

Certainly looks like an expensive reno. I love the tiles you added at the top, gives it that little bit extra.

Well done on a great job.

sunshin

I did a bathroom 3.5 years ago and it has been used by 5 students since.

Surface has lasted well with no worn paint at all.

Was hard to paint with as it is so thick and you can see brushmarks if you look close - but for a $100 reno it is well worth it.

From memory the White Knight Surface cleaner they say you must use is just overpriced sugar soap - i might be wrong so just check the ingredients!

we have just done one with white knight in a nice warm neautral colour called "raw cotton". we got a painter top do it since he was here painting the rest of the house anyway. although realistically the labour cost will of been $2-3K. IT was a really foul ensuit, very large, white and black very slippery floor tiles with black grout. Sower had floral not even of all the same sort. Some were cut strangely and laying was not done from one side so there were cut tiles on each edge. We have bought all new taps, satin chrome towel rails, soap dishes, toilet roll holder, wall mounted toilet brush etc and we are also going to get some new towels. So far it looks much much better than it was. We also painted our mirror frame in a rich deep colour and that looks really good too. I will get a photo when I can and post it.

WOW kaf looks fantastic.

Certainly looks like an expensive reno. I love the tiles you added at the top, gives it that little bit extra.

Well done on a great job.

sunshin

Thanks very much sunshine :).

I also like that you can have the white knight paint in any colour - I chose the Dulux fair bianca white which is a bit warmer, bit like raw cotton.

kaf

Back