Women Leaders in Politics - (I'm not Sexist)

I think it is more subconcious.
I'm not saying anyone is doing it on purpose.

Only way an application for a job could be considered fair, is if it only had qualifications and a number.
Names, age,gender,race, will all come into play otherwise.

yeah but you can usually guess what those people are thinking

you're sure that you know exactly what I'm thinking right now don't you ?!

I agree with VY. I wouldn't care what age, colour, gender an employee of mine was, as long as they did the job properly.

Good staff are too hard to find, without limiting the field based on pre-conceived ideas.

I'm sure it goes on in some organisations, though.

Yup..probably.
I dont feel like arguing, as this is only my opinion.

Everyone is entitle to one..even you.:)

I was joking not arguing

but thank you for advising me that I am entitled to an opinion cause I was waiting for your permission before I got one :)

I just tend to delete the "not" to get the accurate picture of what they are saying.

Unfortunatley the majority of the population refuses to believe that they themselves are racist even though studies have shown that people have racial, sexual and religious preferences.

As an investigator into racism last week on Insight (SBS) said, people have inbuilt preferences that could be called racism, people generally have preferences built into what they see in the mirror.

If everyone put up their hand and said 'yes we are all racist' then the taboo would be broken and people could openly express their feelings honestly and without deception.

That wouldnt eliminate people being overtly racist nor the reaction their extreme comments would bring but it would alow the majority to be able to talk about these issues and discuss them in an adult manner with the purpose of sharing information and experiences which I believe would help reduce the actively racist element in our society.

Here is the website for Insight and the racism episode

http://www.sbs.com.au/insight/episode/overview/459/I-m-Not-Racist-But...

There are also links to tests that you can do to see if you are subconsciously racist, its an interesting test.

Unfortunatley the majority of the population refuses to believe that they themselves are racist even though studies have shown that people have racial, sexual and religious preferences.

As an investigator into racism last week on Insight (SBS) said, people have inbuilt preferences that could be called racism, people generally have preferences built into what they see in the mirror.

That was what I was trying to say, but you explained much better...thank you.

I agree with VY. I wouldn't care what age, colour, gender an employee of mine was, as long as they did the job properly.

Good staff are too hard to find, without limiting the field based on pre-conceived ideas.

But as an employer you have to think about more than their particular job skills. You have to think risk to the company and how well they fit in with the rest of the staff.

If there is a 50/50 line ball call do you hire the man or the woman? the woman is a risk of skill loss due to potential maternity leave in which the company would then have to hire a temp and have that persons position open in case they decide to one day return to work, for the guy that isnt an issue.

If the 50/50 line ball call is between a non overly religious person and a person who wears their religion openly though specific clothing or practices then do you risk disrupting the workplace by hiring someone who might raise racial/religious issues in other staff members? Why hire someone who is a higher risk factor to the company?

As an employer you have a duty to the company to protect it financially and to protect it from unions/discrimination cases. Why would you knowing select an option that opened the company up to greater risk in those areas? (if there was no tangible benefit over another candidate)

Wow are you really saying that you wouldn't hire an obvious moslem because they wouldn't fit in with your 100% white caucasian male workforce or a woman because they might one day go on maternity leave?

Welcome back to the 50's I guess. Lucky for the 50+% of the workforce that don't have a penis not all companies or employers share your views.

But living in such a politically correct society as we do today, you cant discuss anything these days without the fear of upsetting someone.

So true! I for one can't stand all the political correctness that abounds these days. I tend to call a spade a spade and if it offends anyone then tough titties I say. Am I sexist - hell yeah! I reckon women can do things way better than most men!

I don't like Juliar though - not because she is a woman but because she is a lying ***** who has no integrity IMO.

Wow are you really saying that you wouldn't hire an obvious moslem because they wouldn't fit in with your 100% white caucasian male workforce or a woman because they might one day go on maternity leave?

Welcome back to the 50's I guess. Lucky for the 50+% of the workforce that don't have a penis not all companies or employers share your views.

Not at all.

When the positives about 2 people are the same you have to pick the person with the least negatives and as an employer you have the responsibility to risk manage your workforce.

If you owned the company and the similar situation came up would you hire the pregnant woman knowing that in 3-6 months after training her you will then have to hire a temp to fill in and have to train them, (maybe) pay for the maternity leave, hope that the temp will stick around and then not even know if the person you employed will even elect to come back to work?

If you would and you would pay all of that extra $$$ and use your valuable time and reduce the efficiency of your company throughout the double training period (and more if the temp gets a full time job and you have to hire another temp) then good for you, its your money and its coming out of your pocket.

But many (i daresay most) would say 'nah, pick the guy, same qualifications, less negatives and potential costs/hassle'

Its just about analyzing the facts and making a decision based on the potential risk of each candidate. Just because the laws of the land differ between the sexes doesnt mean that there is anything personal or sexist in the decision making process it is merely about $$$$ and risk. :)

I saw this first hand when I worked for the Federal Government. Woman aged around late 20s/early 30s would come into a new role. After 3 months you would find out that they're pregnant, since you need a minimum of 12 months employment to be entitled to paid maternity leave.

It was very, very annoying from a co-worker's perspective because the turnover of staff made it hard to get things done. Also some who came back to work part-time on a few days a week were only available on certain days (say Tuesday, Thursday, Friday) - but how am I supposed to get work done with that kind of schedule?

I don't have an issue with women's rights but this problem is what MangoMadness was talking about - it is fine for the Fed Govt because they have lots of resources - but what about the small business where each staff member is critical?

I tend to call a spade a spade and if it offends anyone then tough titties I say. Am I sexist - hell yeah! I reckon women can do things way better than most men!

And yet thousands of years have proved they did not and still can't.
Chicks don't make good blokes, no matter how much you try.
Sure the service economy gives them a place where they can do well, but men are still the best at almost everything.
And when women ain't good enough (or little cleavage don't work) they call for quotas, discrimination and whatever BS they can think of including.

Many women are self employed (just like men)you say?
Yep because most are not very employable as previous posters stated.

But as an employer you have to think about more than their particular job skills. You have to think risk to the company and how well they fit in with the rest of the staff.

If there is a 50/50 line ball call do you hire the man or the woman? the woman is a risk of skill loss due to potential maternity leave in which the company would then have to hire a temp and have that persons position open in case they decide to one day return to work, for the guy that isnt an issue.

If the 50/50 line ball call is between a non overly religious person and a person who wears their religion openly though specific clothing or practices then do you risk disrupting the workplace by hiring someone who might raise racial/religious issues in other staff members? Why hire someone who is a higher risk factor to the company?

As an employer you have a duty to the company to protect it financially and to protect it from unions/discrimination cases. Why would you knowing select an option that opened the company up to greater risk in those areas? (if there was no tangible benefit over another candidate)

Like I said, the duty is to hire the best employee. This takes in a range of considerations.

Would I hire someone of a different religious background? Absolutely. If they were the best person for the job. I don't think there is a 'risk to the business' of hiring someone different. If a current staff member has an issue, then maybe that is an issue of the current staff member, not the new employee.

Why should the new person be punished because of the prejudices of current staff? What sort of boss would I be if I subtly condoned racial / religious / gender bias in my underlings?

"As an employer you have a duty to the company to protect it financially and to protect it from unions/discrimination cases"

Hiring using discriminatory practices surely opens you up to action, rather than eliminating them. I know proving discrimination in hiring is extremely hard, but the best way to reduce that risk would be to hire the best person for the job, regardless of race / colour / gender etc.

... but men are still the best at almost everything.
QUOTE]

Yep they sure are
I never said women would make good blokes - what woman would want to be a bloke?!?!?! I do think that men and women do things differently but this is not a bad thing?

I can't really think of many jobs where you need to be a bloke to be successful, and just because women may do things differently doesn't mean we are not as good as or better than men at our jobs. I work in a very male oriented field (mining and construction) where there are more and more women being employed every day because companies recognise that the best person for the job is not always a man.

I have also worked in industries where there are lots of women who take off to have babies and yes it is very annoying for other staff who have to pick up the slack but it is not a valid reason not to employ women especially since paid maternity leave is not mandatory.

Back