are there good careers without extra study?

I have a son who did a personal training course instead of vce but then decided he actually didnt want to work as a personal trainer. He is only just 18 so very young but doesnt feel up to studying more. He doesnt want to say for the rest of his life ' i work at subway" or similar. What sort of careers could he look at that he could feel respectable about and could work his way up and earn him a good income in his life and be an ok career. some careers are less stressful than others and i wonder what choices his has. Maybe i can look in wednesday and saturday ages or job agency adds and see what sort of jobs are available. He felt something in administration, though i dont know what exists. I know some people have govt jobs that they are happy with, nothing flash, but quite stable, respectable. Any ideas?

Francine.

You do ask some odd questions :)

He's 18. He can go off and do whatever unqualified job he can lay his hands on for a bit, and then he might find something he loves (hey, lawnmowing can lead to landscaping or some such) or he might realise he needs to go back to school and is motivated to do that in a year by himself.

A lot of jobs these days do need study - at the very least, TAFE courses, or whatever institution does the more hands-on study over in your neck of the woods.

Mind you I'm not one to talk, I have 3 formal qualifications from big scarey institutions gained over 5 years with the HECS debt to prove it and I'm technically an unemployed bum who has spent most of the last two years either being very fat, being a dairy cow or being an unpaid painter/carpenter/tiler etc ....

this is a career which comes to mind which does not require extra study

PARENT

Job Description

**POSITION:**

* Mom, Mommy, Mama, Ma
* Dad, Daddy, Dada, Pa, Pop

**JOB DESCRIPTION:**

* Long term, team players needed, for challenging, permanent work in
an often chaotic environment. Candidates must possess excellent
communication and organizational skills and be willing to
work variable hours, which will include evenings and
weekends and frequent 24 hour shifts on call.
* Some overnight travel required, including trips to primitive
camping sites on rainy weekends and endless sports tournaments in
far away cities! Travel expenses not reimbursed.
* Extensive courier duties also required.

**RESPONSIBILITIES:**

* The rest of your life.
* Must be willing to be hated, at least temporarily, until someone
needs $5.
* Must be willing to bite tongue repeatedly.
* Also, must possess the physical stamina of a pack mule and be able
to go from zero to 60 mph in three seconds flat in case, this
time, the screams from the backyard are not someone just crying wolf.
* Must be willing to face stimulating technical challenges, such as
small gadget repair, mysteriously sluggish toilets and stuck zippers.
* Must screen phone calls, maintain calendars and coordinate
production of multiple homework projects.
* Must have ability to plan and organize social gatherings for
clients of all ages and mental outlooks.
* Must be willing to be indispensable one minute, an embarrassment
the next.
* Must handle assembly and product safety testing of a half million
cheap, plastic toys, and battery operated devices.
* Must always hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.
* Must assume final, complete accountability for the quality of the
end product.
* Responsibilities also include floor maintenance and janitorial
work throughout the facility.

**POSSIBILITY FOR ADVANCEMENT & PROMOTION:**

* None. Your job is to remain in the same position for years,
without complaining, constantly retraining and updating your
skills, so that those in your charge can ultimately surpass you.

**PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE:**

* None required unfortunately. On-the-job training offered on a
continually exhausting basis.

**WAGES AND COMPENSATION:**

* Get this! You pay them! Offering frequent raises and bonuses. A
balloon payment is due when they turn 18 because of the assumption
that college will help them become financially independent.
* When you die, you give them whatever is left.
* The oddest thing about this reverse-salary scheme is that you
actually enjoy it and wish you could do more.

**BENEFITS:**

* While no health or dental insurance, no pension, no tuition
reimbursement, no paid holidays and no stock options are
offered; this job supplies limitless opportunities for personal
growth, unconditional love, and free hugs and kisses for life if
you play your cards right.

AND A FOOTNOTE...

**'THERE IS NO RETIREMENT -- EVER!!!**

i have managed to make a little bit of a career for myself by taking opportunities as they have presented themselves. I started selling mobile phones casually while studying (i never completed the study, i don't mention it on resume), i recommend big companies known to promote from within.

I was stuck in retail for two years before the right op came up that let me get out. Managed to get 3 jobs since that initial job which where all 'education' required positions. Sure i get rejected a bit, but i just put out more resumes till i find the position that is willing to look at the experience rather than the bits of paper and play to my strengths in the interview.

Is your son out going? Because i don't think i am particularly bright, witty or speak brilliantly but i am a friendly person that smiles a lot.

So he's 18, doesn't want to do any study, doesn't want any stress, lets his mum look for jobs for him...

Francine, I reckon the best thing you can do for him is let him go out and get a really crappy job. That might be the motivation he needs to pull his finger out.

Scott

So he's 18, doesn't want to do any study, doesn't want any stress, lets his mum look for jobs for him...

Francine, I reckon the best thing you can do for him is let him go out and get a really crappy job. That might be the motivation he needs to pull his finger out.

Scott

Yeah, we should all get something for nothing, why cant we all have a job paying $100k a year with no qualifications, study, courses or effort.

Me, me, me, I'm special.:rolleyes:

Dave

Id be encouraging him to get some more education.

not the formal style, but self development style

See if he can get some work in any area, though busting a gut with a good self employed "business mentor" could be worth more than many VCEs etc

At his age I worked for a fella that owned a cement rendering and Gyprock fixing business. It was very hard physical work and in that 6mths I learnt a lot of the skills and virtues that I still carry around with me and use everyday.

ta
rolf

I think the public service is a great idea - provided he can get a job in this current climate. Most of the jobs in canberra are public service, but I know alot of the departments have reduced job vacancies and are offering redundancies - all voluntary at this point. Immigration here has to loose about 800 jobs.

But the public service provides good wages, pretty good job security, good career prospects, options for further education later on.

Scott

Agree with that 100%.

The Armed Forces.

Fantastic structure, onjob training, all paid for, career advancement, retirement package. Early retirement.:)

Regards Jo

Yeah, we should all get something for nothing, why cant we all have a job paying $100k a year with no qualifications, study, courses or effort.

Me, me, me, I'm special.

DaveScott

Become a real estate agent:D

Looking for a new start in a new office? David Evans is opening a new office in Rockingham. We are looking for dynamic self starters for a well established company. Experience and Inexperienced people are welcome to apply. We will train all our successful applicants with the best training and support programs in the business. Real Estate reaps fantastic rewards for hardworking self motivated people. Recent starters earning in excess of $100,000 PA. Are you lacking enthusiasm in your current employment or are you just not receiving the support you need. Call me for a confidential chat today!

http://www.seek.com.au/users/apply/index.ascx?Sequence=21&PageNumber=1&JobID=15193820

So, he wants a 'respectable' job that's stable and with good pay, but doesn't want stress, physical labour, or anything that requires higher education. Presumably he just wants to show up at a nice, airconditioned office, shuffle papers, and get paid good money and be able to brag to his friends.

Time to suck it up and take responsibility, kid.

career paths that dont need further study.

actually wegs scott and hooray i understand that your comments would often be relevent your comments to other boys that age, but to my son they are extremely judgemental insensitive unhelpful and in bad taste.

He was a top student thriving in many areas and interests and became very sick and could not cope with school but worked hard doing tafe. He is an extremely well liked and good natured boy genuinely looking at what he could do . He never drinks nor does drugs or anything, has always been very good natured, and sincerely wanting to find soemthing he can do that can be a good path for him. He cannot have a path of too much stress or study at this point. How it will be in 5 years i dont know but we are genuinely looking at options. so your comments may fit some but totally not him.

francine.

Hi Francine

As a mother, can understand.

If your boy's good natured and fairly mature, can he do a stint at a fast food outlet (Maccas; KFC, Pizza Hut, Hungry Jacks) or your local post office ?

My 14 y.o. inquired about a job for herself at our newsagency and they told her to come back when she's close to 15. So any of these local establishments would be fine.

Also, he might like to consider volunteering with an organisation for a while to get the feel of an admin role. My son volunteered with a charitable organisation for 3 months after he finished his HSC (he was also working at Hungry Jacks on the weekends). They then offered him an admin role which he now does 1.5 days a week (while at Uni) not too taxing but he's learning a lot.

Mind you, this was an organisation in my office building so I basically volunteered his services initially. Don't think there is anything wrong with pushy mums !
We all want the best for our children; sometimes it's a helping hand, sometimes a shove and sometimes a kick in the pants !

Am sure even in this economic downturn, he can find something.
Keep a copy of his resume on hand for when you next do the rounds at the shops.

Good luck !

A young man I know worked part-time for KFC until he finished school, then he went on to become one of their trainee Managers (you need no experience & they like them young). He did this and worked his way up to become a Manager & had quite a bit of responsibility. During this time, whenever he was offered any training course within the organisation he did it (at no cost to himself). He recently left KFC for Aldi and is now around 23 years of age, a Regional Manager (or similar) and earning over $80K.

HI there Francine

Unfortunately stress is going to part of any job your son gets - so perhaps some of the focus should be on how to manage that stress.

I can certainly empathise with you having a child trying to cope with illness - my own 18 year old is currently studying and having health issues (a lot of coughing) - whilst trying to juggle 2 jobs (waitressing) - and there is not much I can do as she is not at home to be looked after.

Perhaps think further about your son's strengths and his interests and see if he can find something he would enjoy.

thanks

Back