Assertive or rude?

I have a fantastic technique for stopping cold callers from knocking at my door.

I built a house on a battleaxe block. At the top of a 120m steep driveway.

It's hard work to walk from the road to the front door. Not many people to it. It's only the census people and the electoral roll people who manage

I've only had one religious person in 15 years who has made that journey. By a strange coincidence they came speaking Spanish (MrsW is a native Spanish speaker). At that time we had a house cleaner in once a week. Who was a Spanish speaker. Who belonged to a particular religion.

Assertive, but not rude. I'm the same; I don't have time or energy to waste listening to some sales talk, although I appreciate how someone like grossreal, above, who can turn the situation on its head and make something really positive of it. :)

assertive or rude

i am lucky that most hang up once they hear an answering machine so thats a huge protector keeping that on all the time.

i dont see an issue

sometimes i wish them good luck

the other night i walked away from the door without responding at all and they eventually went away. Your clear no , was probably more polite or helpful.

i dont like people coming to my door unexpectedly when i'm busy. Its a nuisance. maybe thats what is actually rude. Poor guys, i've got sons too, but this isnt a good job for them or for us.

Poeple also in the street who collect money for their beer and cigarettes day after day when i need to see if i can buy groceries and basics for my kids. I wish them well but its a nuisance.

francine.

rude or assertive.

theres a joke about the indian telemarketers.

someone with an indian accent talks saying

oh yes you can hear my acccent you can hear i 'm indian
dont worry i'm not a telemarketer
i get those calls too. i hang up on them too
its alright for you though
when i hang up on them i'm hanging up on my sisters and brothers.

(it is a funny joke if you hear and see it first hand)

Good to see there are loads more people like me around :eek::D - thought I was a terrible rude freak.

Speaking about the Indian call centre guy called Jason - I wonder why these people regularly insist on informing you that are calling from Sydney when they greet you?

"Hi I'm Jason and I'm calling from Sydney" is what I've heard a number of times. :rolleyes:

Like I care.

Obviously, there have been some grave reservations in the past as to where they are actually calling from. Trying to alleviate the suspicions of the caller no doubt.

Still, I can't blame these companies; if they can pay someone called "Raj" 3,000 miles away $5 per hour, rather than pay "Thommo" in Aus $20 per hour....

I vote not rude.

I think door to door selling is rude. You never asked them to come over, they're taking advantage of people's politeness for their gain.

I can't remember when I subscribed my front door as an advertising medium.

Also the more people who sign up via this method, the more it encourages this annoying behaviour. I don't care if they're offering FREE calls/gas/electricity/foxtel/salvation, I still wouldn't accept it. In this information age people know where to go if they want something, they don't need it knocking on their front door.

Good to see there are loads more people like me around :eek::D - thought I was a terrible rude freak.

Speaking about the Indian call centre guy called Jason - I wonder why these people regularly insist on informing you that are calling from Sydney when they greet you?

"Hi I'm Jason and I'm calling from Sydney" is what I've heard a number of times. :rolleyes:

Like I care.

Obviously, there have been some grave reservations in the past as to where they are actually calling from. Trying to alleviate the suspicions of the caller no doubt.

Still, I can't blame these companies; if they can pay someone called "Raj" 3,000 miles away $5 per hour, rather than pay "Thommo" in Aus $20 per hour....

Doesn;t annoy me that I get n Indian telemarketer, or an Aussie one - the annoying thing is the nuisance. I atually used to get lots more Aussie ones before the proliferation of Indian ones - 1/2 of them were on such bad phone lines that I would just say hello hello, wit for them to start tallking, cut them off with"hello, can't hear you.." funniest one was when the t/marketer was selling cheap phone lines "but your phone ine doesn't work", "I can't hear you.."

I've done the t/marketing job - easy at first, reje ctions were no big deal, some ppple would swear, some hang up, some have a really well prepared spiel cause and soudn like they are reading it like a tenant who knows his rights ( one demanded my details etc and was going to get the government onto it). At first,they'd just roll off like water off a duck's back, fair enough, it's what happens, next.. After a while it got to me.. It ws only casual work anyway, but when I landed the f/time job I have now, I was glad to be done with it. Also done door to door, but to leads generated by telemarketers - 1/2 of them were as bad as going cold calling door to door anyway: unqualified leads which weren't interested or it was irrelevant to them made up a good 1/2 of them.

Ha ha - That's not rude at all.

I had this guy call my home phone which is a silent number. He was trying to sell me something. I said, can you hang on mate, dinner is on the stove and it's just about to boil over, he said sure.... Nice guy!

So I sat back down on the lounge and kept watching TV with the phone right next to me... A few minutes later, I casually picked up the phone and said are you still there mate, sorry this is taking a while - he was still there and prepared to wait.

I put the phone back on the lounge next to me and kept watching TV.... a few more minutes passed and I picked the phone up and said I was just going to serve my dinner and put it onto a plate and in the oven so we could chat, would you mind hanging on a bit longer? He was cool with that, after all I had more TV to watch:D

Another 5 minutes passed, TV show finished, by this time he had been on the phone for about 15 mins.

You want to talk about being rude, he hung up on me, now that's rude:D

Never called back either - bummer, we had so much to talk about...

I hate telemarketers and salesmen. I can never bring myself to be up front and say, "not interested." Then they get going on their speel and I'm always too polite to interrupt so I wait a few minutes and then politely say, "thanks but I'm ok." If they keep going I hang up or walk away/shut the door.

I don't really think what you did was rude but if I was the salesman I might have interpreted it as such, maybe because I wouldn't of known you were having dinner.

Back