Bali holiday

I know a lot of people who travel there regularly and will continue to do so this coming year.
I've not heard any fears or concerns from them.

I'm in Bali now.

a lot of travellers here and all having fun

I have heard there is a travel warning been released.

I'm more concerned about the violence in Melbourne. ;)

Safe from what?

No-one can answer whether it's safe anyway. Everyone thought it was safe the night of the first bomb. Everyone thought they were safe in Phuket when the Tsunami hit. You need to decide for yourself.

I'll most likely be there.
I normally go every January (at least) but this year decided to brave the cold in China. It was blooming freezing (literally) but fantastic. Except now I'm stranded in Hong Kong.

I LOVE Bali. If you need any tips just ask.

Look at www.balitravelforum.com for lots of usefull info

Travel warnings haven't changed in years. If you are going to be worried don't go. That's not a holiday.

We took the kids to Bali this time last year...I believe there was the same warning in place then as well. We still went. We took some precautions, like not being in really crowded places, such as nightclubs and having our accommodation out of Kuta. But we still did everything else we wanted to do.

I have sort of come to the conclusion that you cant put you life on hold - there is risk of a terror attack everywhere..I mean it has happened in New York, London and many other "safe" cities, and yet hundreds of thousands of tourists continue to visit these places...There is no way to predict where or when it may happen next and I am not going to sit in my own backyard "just in case"... after all, I may get killed by the next passing bus.

Nadia

We go over often and same with many of our friends. The Balinese are lovely people and they are very concerned with keeping the place safe. Just stay away from the really crowded areas around Kuta if you are concerned. I'd recommend staying somewhere in Seminyak.

We're off to the Dynasty in Mar/Apr.

probably a target more-so than anywhere....i can't believe Sharky's was targeted.

but i guess the stupid extremists decided that going hungry for a year or three after each attack probably wasn't in aid of their cause....

Dynasty is awesome.

You can get family rooms now, 2 rooms joined by sliding doors.

we got 7 nights, including flights for 4+infant, breakfast, the bigger family room and transfers/taxes for $3500 all up. i still have NFI who we're flying.

it's Amy's 30th present, so rather than a diamond ring, i got her a holiday which she wants (and deserves) way, way more.

but geez - if anyone knows of a good white gold ring going cheap with a min D/E/F grade diamond and VVS1+ i'm on the look in.

As other have said, warnings have been in place for ages, and dont really get updated very often. Just be sensible about where you go and what you do.

We do family holidays there so generally stay away from the 'nightlife'.

Went twice last year, also booked for April and September this year.

My advice is to watch for the cheap fares, grab them, then deal direct for accommodation. Like everything else in Bali, accommodation price is negotiable.

Another thing to consider when travelling as a family is choosing villas over hotels. Once you no longer fit in a standard hotel room a villa doesn't really work out any more expensive, and you cant beat the larger space, private gardens and private pools - not to mention staff who will always bend over backwards for you..

Jump on the plane and leave your troubles behind..

Bruce

I went to Bali mid last year and wasn't concerned.

However, I heard something on the news (didn't quite catch it all, and a search on google didn't produce much) regarding a renewed travel warning in light of new and more recent terrorist threats.

There are some things to consider:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice/Indonesia

Realistically, the chances are relatively low that you will be harmed. However, no one can exactly deem it "safe" either.

As others have said, be mindful of where you stay and visit, and keep an eye out for potential issues that may or may not be related to terrorism (corruption, health hazards, theft etc.) My keycard was skimmed - lost over $1300, thankfully on the second last day of a 3.5 week trip. Was given a fraud refund by Commonwealth eventually, but wouldn't have helped if most of our funds had gone missing on day one.

With that being said, Bali is a great holiday destination and as long as you're aware of, and accept potential hazards, then go for it!

I remember when I used to surf a lot that Bali was one of the main destinations I really wanted to go to. I will travel through most of Asia soon but Bali is one place I can not ever see myself going to and it's not just because of the ongoing terrorist attacks.

I love Bali and we were there again last year and arrived the day when Jakarta was bombed - we heard about it on the news on the plane.:eek: But was more worried about catching swine flu than a bomb. Bali was packed with tourists.

Salamat Malam! (good evening)

We arrived home 3am thismorning. We stay where it's more quiet, away from the crowds in general - Sanur & Nusa Dua.

There's been warnings for years, and as a family have been travelling there for 22 years.

June - Aug are the busiest times to be there. That's why we go in the quiet wet / off season. We live in the same temperature so weather doesn't bother us at all.

Exchange rate is about 1000 rupiah less than U.S. at the moment. Exchange rate for cash it's around 8500 rupiah and travellers cheques approx 8100 rupiah.

I highly recommend learning a little bit of the Balinese language to get you by, plus the locals love it, they hassle you less, if at all, and I believe you get more bargains & better service. Our most used expressions :
Tulon dua Bintang - "2 beers thanks"
Tidak tarima kasi - "no thanks"
Jalan jalan - "just walking" (say that when you get nagged for transport)
Mahal - "expensive!"
Apa kabal - "how are you?"
baik baik - "good"
ekuk - "tasty food"
.......don't quote my spelling........

Then again, I'm bias because I love the place - apart from the Bali belly, ear infections & fever going around in the last week. Could happen anywhere though.

DO NOT DRINK THE TAP WATER! Buy bottled water, even ESPECIALLY to brush your teeth. Never yelled at our kids so much reminding them!

Anyway, PM me if you want more info.

Tarima kasi

Yes I always learn at least a few phrases when I go to a place. Kath the language you have quoted is actually Indonesian (the official language) not Balinese.
Indonesian is a VERY easy language to learn as it's a phonetic language. Balinese on the other hand is difficult because it has class distinctions so there are different words depending on whether you are talking to someone superior to you or someone of a class lower than you. You need to be VERY careful not to offend. That's why most people learn Indonesian. Anyone who has been to school speaks Indonesian.

GCW- If you want to learn some basics there are some very good free sites on the computer that have pronunciations (the part most people get wrong).
This is a good one

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/indonesian/percakapan/indonesia7days/indo7days_fs.htm

Tulon dua Bintang - "2 beers thanks"
Tidak tarima kasi - "no thanks"
Jalan jalan - "just walking" (say that when you get nagged for transport)
Mahal - "expensive!"
Apa kabal - "how are you?" Should be "apa kabah"
baik baik - "good"
ekuk - "tasty food" This should be "enak" (means tasty)

Heres a good link to book apartments in the jayakarta hotel direct thru the owner of the units, check it out.

http://www.puketoki.com/

I love bali but i stay in Legian or Seminyak, I just feel uncomfortable in Kuta late at nite. The travel warnings have been the same since the bombings, they have never been upgraded just keep giving the same one.

I would not be surprised if they get hit again but anywhere could get hit and why the warnings for Indonesia? America should have a bigger travel warning than Bali as it was hit 10 fold.

Do your homework, take the trip and have fun...

cheers

There is actually 1200 languages spoken in Indonesia and about 350 different languages in Bali alone...
Bahasa Indonesian is the one you have quoted.

cheers

Back