Convection Oven

Hi Folks,

A few years ago I bought an IP (1 br apartment) with gas top hot plates, but no oven (I only realised this after the sale!).

I have rented it out for years like this, but the new tenants are paying a lot more and want an oven.

There is not much room for an oven, so I was considering a convection oven.

Does anybody have one, and does it cook as good as a traditional oven?
Is it a good option?
Can anybody suggest some good ones for an IP at a good price?
Where can I get one in Melbourne?

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

The only time I have used a convection microwave oven was when I stayed at a resort in Noosa. I thought we didnt have an oven (they dont look much different from the usual microwave) but then realised what it was. I remember microwaving some chicken drumsticks then browning them using the convection cycle, and they turned out really well.

Since then I have been looking for one to buy myself for home, because my oven isnt all that great, but they dont seem to be readily available and are quite expensive.

Hi Mpmelb

I have an apartment "no kitchen" micro and a camp oven with the 2 hotplastes on top. I put in a micro/convention oven $700.00 no complaint from the tenant. my 25yr step daughter. I would put one it gets around all the elect. requirements as long as you source one that works on 10amp, mine is a LG.

Celeste

I've had microwave/convection/griller ovens since 1983, and wouldn't buy anything else. 3-in-1 is fantastic combo, and can cook anything. Cheaper on the electricity too. They are neat and fit into small spaces.

I saw an ad on tv just the other day for an LG combo thingy. I think it was microwave, griller, oven? Can cook a chook in 25 minutes!

I thought that would be great for a small kitchen.

I have a very small kitchen in my home, which I am dying to update. When I get around to it, I want to be as space efficient as possible, and was interested in the microwave/convection ovens. I'd probably only need two hotplates as well, as cooking isn't really a hobby of mine (try to avoid it).

We have a convection/microwave combo in an IP and it works fine - never had a complaint.

I do however think its important to make sure the Instruction / Recipe book is with it as most people are unfamiliar with them. Once they work them out - they love them!

Thanks for all your feedback.

I found out that the Panasonic Dimension 4 "The Genius" to be the most renown convection oven. Made in Japan.

Brand new they ranged from $750 to $1000.

I looked on ebay and they were being auctioned for around $50-$60 if they were 8+ years old.

I managed to buy one from the Trading Post for $10!!! it's 15 years old, but in great condition and built to last.

Had no complaints from the tenants so far.

Thanks for all your feedback.

I found out that the Panasonic Dimension 4 "The Genius" to be the most renown convection oven. Made in Japan.

Brand new they ranged from $750 to $1000.

I looked on ebay and they were being auctioned for around $50-$60 if they were 8+ years old.

I managed to buy one from the Trading Post for $10!!! it's 15 years old, but in great condition and built to last.

Had no complaints from the tenants so far.

We have had this oven for over 10 years, after moving into a rental property that only had a wood stove!! Definitely no complaints from us, cooks a terrific roast and is more efficient for a small family.

Good lateral solution to a practical problem - well done!

Back