Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help!

Does anyone have Wii fit? or Wii fit+. I have Wii fit and have been doing that but can't do the cardio as most involves running. I feel really unfit at the moment. I used to go to the gym at least twice a week and walk 10k+ on Sundays but I damaged my archilles tendons and have been somewhat restricted.
I've started walking again but can't do the long bushwalks yet.

Hi,
I use the WiiFit as my primary exercise..... and find it really useful.
My balance is very dodgy, so its helped alot with that, and I like that I get "feedback" on how accurately I'm doing the exercise. I also like that I don't need to go out to exercise! Its also the only time I weigh myself, so its how I track my weight loss.

I don't do anything with running in it... except the actual jogging one, and I have a low impact jog - I can't do any high impact exercise.

My normal routine, depending upon time available would be:
Yoga - deep breathing, half moon, sun salutation etc
Cardio - a mixture of boxing, step, hula hoop, and jogging.
Balance - ski jump, soccer, bubble
Fun - marching band ( this is good for coordination), snowball fight etc
Muscle - don't do so many of these, but if I have time I'll add a couple in

Boxing and hula hoop are the ones which I feel give the best work out. Jogging is more of a 'endurance" exercise..... you could do jogging just by walking on the spot, instead of running - hold the controller in your hand and swing your arms.

I also downloaded some exercise videos from "Workouts on Demand" so that I can also exercise when I'm travelling. They are not too complicated, which is how I like them... I'm very uncoordinated!

cheers
Pen

I assume you mean that your BP was 110/70...

Keep getting the dr to check your BP. I started feeling quite sick on my pills after about 3 mths... I'd lost about 8kg. My BP was getting lower and lower, but my pulse was racing. Apparently, this is a bad combination. I thought it was caused by the new pill that I'd started taking, which is quite strong.
But the Dr thought that the weight loss had started to correct my BP. He halved the dosage of my BP tablets -wow, what a difference! I never had any symptoms of High BP, but low BP was truly awful! I feel so much better now that I'm on the lower dosage. Both BP and pulse are now at much more normal levels.
Pen

Yup, 110/70! Sorry about that... :eek:

At the moment I don't feel dizzy or anything like that... I feel fine.. But if ever I do feel anything, I'll go straight to my GP. I also have one of those digital BP instruments and I take my BP at least once a week. At the moment, the results are "normal". But thanks for the tip, penny! I'll keep that in mind. ;)

Congrats DWV!!! It does get easier. I know when I first went on the diet I thought "how can I eat 3 pieces of fruit a day. Then it becomes the norm.

Thanks travelbug. The Easyslim diet looks like a healthy one. Good luck and I hope you'll reach your goal come October. :)

He lost 7kg's in the first week.

Wow, I don't think that's for me... I can only manage an hour a day of exercise and my goal is to be healthier rather than bulk-up. I'm also more after flexibility due to my tennis. I find that big muscles and tennis do not mix! :p

How may hours does your friend train daily, BV?

I'm nearly 5'8" and 78.5kg as of Saturday morning. I want to be under 70kg. I was 67kg after the last diet but looked a bit thin in the face I think.
Amazing how bone structure modifies those numbers :)

I weigh 68kg right now and am 5'7". I have 8 more weeks of weight gain to look forward to (which is probably going to tip me over 70kg). My goal is just to get back to around 53-54kg within a year. Pretty easy to measure without scales though - does my butt fit into these old jeans? yes/no ... if no, not there yet! I've gone down as low as 48kg before and its not a good look. Too many bones. You gotta have some flub or it looks awful - someone needs to explain this to LA socialites.

Other half is on medication that saw him drop to the very low 60s within the first few weeks of taking it and then rebound to around 70kg and stuck there. His half-hearted attempts to lose the weight have so far done absolutely nothing and the paunch and other flubbery bits really doesn't suit him. He's 5'9" with a goal weight of 65kg ... we're both featherweights.

Goal weights that are perfectly realistic for one person of X height might be completely unrealistic (too high OR too low) for someone else of the same height. Tis why BMI is a joke ...

Edit: oh and never ask healthy Asian girls/women what they weigh. You'll get numbers in the 30s and 40s!

It's been a good read this post,i found out a short time ago i was pre diabetes ,my Doctor told me upfront what can happen very quickly
if i don't start to act,started at 103 kilos about 5 weeks ago stop drinking Stout,gave up all the soft drinks,bought a juicer and cut myself back to the basic food lines,after the 5 klm's walk this morning i'm just above 91 kilos,just can't get it below the 90 kilos mark yet the good part is i have my sugar levels down back in the 5.9 uo too 7.1 so everything is going to plan,the only sad part about the my new diet is,it took me 10 years to work out to make home brew irish stout it was that good you could just about stand a spoon up by itself in the glass, had about 75 bottles in the cellar,put the whole lot in the wheel barrow push it across the road and gave it too the several homeless poor people that live in the park in a makeshift camp,made their day..willair..

Have lost 0.7kg of my 3.0kg goal. I'm eating well, but don't do a lot of exercise so is taking AGES! Going on vacation soon, so need to hurry up! :(

Ah, diabetes. Self and other half (me more than him) share some symptoms with type 1 diabetics, not type 2. We're both prone to hypoglycemia - low blood sugar. Always fun getting the shakes from lack of sugar, worst case almost blacking out. I can't drive in that state - far too dangerous. We both get really grouchy and snippy when we need sugar.

The best fix for that is eating something very high GI, but the trick is not to get there in the first place. I can't go very long between meals/snacks and there's always, always something high sugar and snackish in this household Just In Case, and we always take high sugar snacks on long drives. Low GI or low fat foods leave me hungry and shakey so I avoid them like the plague - diet foods are eeeeeeeeevil (and if you google this, you'll find diabetic websites actually recommend you avoid diet and artificially low-fat food). Apples and sultanas make fantastic driving snacks :)

I have no idea if this has any long term health effects - I've always been like this, it has got neither better or worse as I've got older. Between that and a mild food allergy it has tempered my overall choices of foods somewhat. I'm sure my metabolism will slow down eventually though.

Ah, diabetes. Self and other half (me more than him) share some symptoms with type 1 diabetics, not type 2. We're both prone to hypoglycemia - low blood sugar.

Sounds like you have opposite of diabetics, they don't produce any/enough insulin. Have you been checked out? Is it possible for the human body to produce too much insulin? I know some people can get faint if they don't eat etc. but what your explaining sounds a bit extreme of 'normal' I would have thought.

I dated a type 1 diabetic once - its a less extreme version of what they get. He always needed jelly babies or orange juice on hand in case of low blood sugar and he WOULD black out, not just get close to it or feel faint. Type 2 is a whole different kettle of fish again.

I dated a type 1 diabetic once - its a less extreme version of what they get. He always needed jelly babies or orange juice on hand in case of low blood sugar and he WOULD black out, not just get close to it or feel faint. Type 2 is a whole different kettle of fish again.

My sister has type 1 diabetes. They don't produce insulin so have to inject it. They have hypos when they have injected too much insulin for the amount of food they intake, which is when they require sugar. My sister has had seizures and gone unconscious, is pretty scary! If they don't have insulin injections, then their blood sugar levels go too high and can also put them into a coma.

The Meaty Bites Diet.

I've got 2 dogs. I bought a large bag of Meaty Bites at Big W and was standing in line at the check-out.

A woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Meaty Bites Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 25 kgs before I woke in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IV's in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Meaty Bites and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry & that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.

I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a guy who was behind her.

Horrified, she asked if I'd ended up in the hospital in that condition because I had been poisoned by the food. I told her no, it was because I'd been sitting in the middle of the road licking my bum and a car hit me.

I thought one guy was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard as he staggered out the door.

Stupidwoman....why else would I buy dog food??

See ya's.

My sister has type 1 diabetes.
I probably have too much of the stuff then ...

Type 1 really is scarey to be around. All those needles so many times a day and only so many places to stick them, plus all that constant finger pricking and the worry of what can happen to you if you get it wrong (which is easy to do with strange food) and black out ...

This poor fella wasn't born with it, he got it in his early 20s. Its a childhood thing usually, vs type 2 which hits the more portly of us as we get older. Or in this day of expanding waistlines, really fat KIDS are getting type 2 :eek:

Type 1 really is scarey to be around. All those needles so many times a day and only so many places to stick them, plus all that constant finger pricking and the worry of what can happen to you if you get it wrong (which is easy to do with strange food) and black out ...

This poor fella wasn't born with it, he got it in his early 20s. Its a childhood thing usually, vs type 2 which hits the more portly of us as we get older. Or in this day of expanding waistlines, really fat KIDS are getting type 2 :eek:

On top of that, with the risk of falling into a coma, add the complications that can occur later in life... kidney failure, damage to eye sight, circulation issues which can lead to amputation etc. My sister got it when she was 10, she had a friend who had it as a baby - couldn't imagine giving injections daily to a baby/child.

Is quite scary at the number of type 2 ones now, it's not something I'd want to get. At least a lot of the type 2 is preventable/treatable with diet. I just can't get my head around the number of fat children! Can't the parents see this or what? I just see it as cruelty, surely it makes them the targets of bullying, as well as the health affects and risks it is having on them. I'm not a parent so not really in a position to criticise, but it baffles me! :confused:

Wow, I don't think that's for me... I can only manage an hour a day of exercise and my goal is to be healthier rather than bulk-up. /How may hours does your friend train daily, BV?

You've absolutely misread this post of mine.

He was doing the diet to LOSE the layer of fat.

The weight training to bulk up was a totally different diet and exercise regime.

You've absolutely misread this post of mine.

He was doing the diet to LOSE the layer of fat.

The weight training to bulk up was a totally different diet and exercise regime.

Hi BV,

Had a second read... I think the diet's fine for me except the no-dinner at night (well for me, anyway...).

But what I meant was losing 7kg a week is not for me because, firstly, I think he puts more hours into his training which I don't have; and secondly, I think 7kg in a week would be unhealthly for me. I read somewhere that losing 500gms - 1 kg a week or 1% of your weight a week is the healthier way to go to avoid the yo-yo weight.

There's this guy from the Biggest Loser (Gary I think was his name - the tall/giant one!) which made it to the finals several years ago... I saw him last year at the train station and I think he's doubled his size! The thing is he had all the time to train when he was in the show but when he got back to reality, he wouldn't have the time to keep up his regimen especially if he works in the office... and if the discipline isn't there, not eating when stress comes along would be very hard to maintain. That's why I think slowly but surely is the way to go.... and just set an hour a day for your daily exercise and eat right (eat healthily and don't gorge like I did before).

But, hey, I'm not a fitness guru... I'd just like to stick to what's working for me (at this point, at least :D)... every person has a different situation.

I read somewhere that losing 500gms - 1 kg a week or 1% of your weight a week is the healthier way to go to avoid the yo-yo weight.
I've heard this too and it sounds much safer and more sensible than the crazy figures they pull on Biggest Loser.

Also measuring inches rather than weight if you're exercising a lot as fat weighs relatively less than muscle. Thinner and firmer is better than lighter but flubbier :)

Don't get too nitpicky about weight. Just think when you have a nice big glass of calorie-free water you're going to weigh 200-500g more (depending on the size of the glass) after drinking it! Water accounts for a HUGE amount of weight variation!

Well I've been very pleased with myself so far. I was 78.5kg last Saturday. This morning I was 76.3. Yesterday was difficult. I had to make morning tea on Thursday night (I ate half a cupcake):eek: I stayed away from the staffroom for most of morning tea and resisted temptation (well I did have half a piece of beesting- I LOVE that stuff). I haven't been starving myself and I've been eating lots of veges and fruit. Checking out labels is very interesting. The tuna and corn thins I was having for lunch (thinking I was good) turns out to be very fattening. The tuna has 8.8g fat per 100g (in contrast to other tunas which are 1.8g fat). The flavoured corn thins have 3 times more fat than the plain ones.

My Lindt bunny that I got for Easter keeps staring at me but I'm not opening it until I get under 70kg.:D

Amazing how bone structure modifies those numbers :)

I weigh 68kg right now and am 5'7". I have 8 more weeks of weight gain to look forward to (which is probably going to tip me over 70kg). My goal is just to get back to around 53-54kg within a year.

WOW!! What size clothes would you wear when you are 54kg? I'd be size 8 if I was that size.
I'm 14 pants now but still 12 dresses and tops. When I'm just under 70 I'm size 12 everywhere. That's a good size for me.

Penny I've not been doing W11 fit for a longtime. I do mainly the balance (mine is pretty bad also) so that's been great. I do most of the muscle ones. The aerobics I only do the hula hoop (I am hopeless but getting better) and the step plus. I can't do the jogging yet. What's the fun ones you mention?
For the boxing do you need a different control?
I'm thinking of getting the Wii fit plus as it's on special now.

Hows everyone else going? This is better than paying $20 a week to weight watchers.

Back