Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help!

I agree to a certain level. However, people who 'look big and strong' have had to lift damn heavy weights in the past to look that way. This, coupled with consistent dieting and downing a truckload of high quality food. You don't just bulk up by lifting 5kg dumbbells or doing body weight squats. With this being said, I think it depends on your goals. For me, it's always been about hypertrophy as opposed to pure strength. I don't wanna stand on the beach in Summer looking like ***** just so I can say to anyone who will listen that I can bench X amount of weight. I'd prefer my physique to do the talking instead.

I train to improve the aesthetics of my physique, not to be a strong man. As a result, the structuring and specifics of my training represent this fundamental goal. I was never that strong to begin with, but I am disciplined and I never give up. These are traits that have assisted me in achieving the results I currently have. The weight is important for progression purposes, but I'm not too worried if guys in the gym lift much more then I do. The person really laughing is the one that looks 4x better when they're both seen out at a club together.

Cheers,
Steve

The typical guy in da club who looks 4 times better than the average guy is more often than not, loaded up on the gear.
They can laugh all they want, the jokes on them in the end.

Most natural BB's look totally average with clothes on, most wouldn't even know if you didn't know what to look for.

The typical guy in da club who looks 4 times better than the average guy is more often than not, loaded up on the gear.

Most natural BB's look totally average with clothes on, most wouldn't even know if you didn't know what to look for.

A lot of truth to that.

Agreed with the first bit. The people that take the easy way out always feel the implications of their gear use in time. The whole point I'm in the gym is to improve my health, not the opposite. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I'd rather achieve my goals by doing it properly.

But I disagree with the second bit. The natural BB's are still much much bigger then your 'average' joe that's never stepped foot into a gym. There's a massive difference. I've spent plenty of time around them and the attention they receive is ridiculous. The big lean look is what a lot of people aspire to. Perhaps we hang round with different crowds?

S

Well don't know how much I've lost as I don't own any scales, but I'm quite happy with my progress considering I can't exercise!

With the saved money from petrol and skating I did start up lite n easy (it's actually not that bad) and instead of using my crutches around the house I usually hop (except in the morning when I'm still half asleep). When I started I had already lost some weight, probably started around 62kgs and size 10. I think I've probably only lost 2kgs but it's been enough for me to fit into some of my size 8 work clothes that I couldn't do up not that long ago! :D

Hopefully when I can walk again I can do some light excerise and work off the 5kgs or so that I hope to loose!

It's really good to see some people working their butts off and it paying off - even if I have only stalked this thread rather than posting!

For the record I know a few guys that I met through my boyfriend who look skinny and like they've got no muscle - yet they're built like a brick ****house! Personally I prefer my men to be toned and not muscley and ripped it's not very attractive IMHO.

In saying that though, thy have to be able to lift me and be much taller and heavier than I am or I'm just not interested.

But I disagree with the second bit. The natural BB's are still much much bigger then your 'average' joe. I've spent plenty of time around them and the attention they receive is ridiculous. Perhaps we hang round with different crowds?

S

Natural BB's are bigger than sedentary people, but it also depends on how they dress. Dress in a tight tshirt/shirt and shorts and people will notice, dress in a little looser shirt with jeans and it's not as noticeable. What is difficult is finding clothes that fit nicely.

Natural BB's are bigger than sedentary people, but it also depends on how they dress. Dress in a tight tshirt/shirt and shorts and people will notice, dress in a little looser shirt with jeans and it's not as noticeable. What is difficult is finding clothes that fit nicely.

Steve I definitely agree with this. The problem many people find is the big shoulders/lats and the small waist. You buy a Large shirt to fit your width, and it swamps you length wise. You buy a Medium shirt to fit your waist/length wise, and you can't get the shirt on your upper body. Sucks.

Steve I definitely agree with this. The problem many people find is the big shoulders/lats and the small waist. You buy a Large shirt to fit your width, and it swamps you length wise. You buy a Medium shirt to fit your waist/length wise, and you can't get the shirt on your upper body. Sucks.

Then when you have the above right, the arms are too tight. *sigh* And the one that irks me the most - needing jeans that are big enough for your quads but then stuck with 3 inches too much material around the waist. :rolleyes: Gotta love trackies but they're not a good look at work!

Though it's definitely less of a problem in the cutting stage than when bulking. Was so sick of buying jeans last year, no pair lasted me more than two months. :(

That's not a bad thing. Lot of people focus on the scales too much when the mirror is just as important a measuring tool.

I thinks it's more important with the type of built I am and because of my sport. I have a lot of muscle on me which makes me weigh more - I know people who are a similar height and weight to me yet they're a bigger size in clothing :D

I thinks it's more important with the type of built I am and because of my sport. I have a lot of muscle on me which makes me weigh more - I know people who are a similar height and weight to me yet they're a bigger size in clothing :D

yeah me too! i play sports, am 158 cm and for me my healthy weight is at the top of the healthy weight range for my size (around 62 kg) My goal is 65 but I will try to get to 60. I think if I weighed any less than 60 it would effect my sports performance. I need the muscle/endurance/fuel to power me through.

When I got to 58 kg whilst on weight watchers back in 1998 I found I could only maintain that weight for a few weeks before my body settled on a more realistic 62 kg. I found to stay at 58 meant I was having to compromise the amount of fuel i was putting into my body. Eating less food meant it would have effected my sports.

Its funny also because I always see some women at they gym straining to do dumbell curls with a measly 4 kg whilst i'm doing more than double that amount. Maybe i have more testosterone or just a different make up than them or something but I find I can lift far heavier weights. Over the past few months I have been cycling, running, boxing and only just recently started back in the gym a week ago and already i have made huge strides. Now that i've lost 14 kilos i love to look at my reflection in the gym mirrors :p :D

Weight Loss Plateau - Help

Weight Loss Plateau

My weight loss has stalled! I have lost 14 kilos in 8 months but over the past 4 weeks i have only lost 0.2 kg's.

I am a little concerned however I know that plateaus are a natural thing. The body needs to readjust and get used to the new weight.

I'm looking at the positives:

• 4 weeks ago I tried on a bunch of blouses which didn't quite fit and said to myself, they will look good when i've lost another 5 kilos. I'll try them on again perhaps in a months time and see how they look. Well I tried them on the other day and most of them fit perfectly! So I didn't lose anything on the scales in 4 weeks however my tops fit again. Good news, I have lost centimetres and I can see a noticeable flatter tummy.

I have not changed my diet. Still eating the same amount and doing all the right things in that department. I think what has happened is that I have been burning my body fat, increasing my lean muscle mass. My body shape has changed. Fat weighs less than muscle. So whilst losing body fat, and putting muscle on the scales are not showing anything yet. I think I need to start taking my measurements again so I dont get too disullusioned. I wonder when the scales will start to move again?

I guess what I'm looking for is some words of encouragement. I know i'm on the right track and have to keep reminding myself that my weight loss journey is a marathon but i am starting to get a bit frustrated. I have another 12 kilos to go to reach goal and would like to be there by April. That would mean losing a total of 26 kilos in 12 months. I will aim hard for April. That's not a bad feat to lose 26 in 12 months.

To shock my body into losing again I have started a couple of new activities too. Boxing, rowing and weights. So I hope this helps!

Main thing in this game is patience and perserverance which I have a lot of!! I am determined to get there!! Nothing will stop me!!

Anyone else out there who are on a Plateau or have had a Plateau? Would you like to share your experience with everyone

I found this cool article

http://www.columbussports.com/content/writers/dan_falkenberg/ive-started-working-out-why-am-i-still-gaining-weight.shtml

Hey Alex!!

I think you've done a g8 job.

My hubby and I joined weight watchers 9 weeks ago. He has lost nearly 10 kgs and I had lost 6.1kgs last Monday.

I want to lose a further 10kgs (current weight 74.1, height 167cm)

Weight Watchers have introduced Propoints 2 weeks ago. This is a revamping of their points system. So I used to have 19 points a day, now I can have 29 Propoints a day PLUS an additional 49 points per week - comes in very handy for weddings, dinners etc. Propoints take into account fibre, saturated fat, kilojoules, fibre and carbohydrates. Fruit is POINT FREE, they counsel on eating it moderately but it is no longer added to the daily tally.

I would recommend WW as a way to kick start ur plateau. I am aiming to reach my goal weight by February 2011.

I think you have done a g8 job by losing the weight slowly. This is much better for health and more chance of keeping it off over the long haul. I'm happy with 6kgs lost in 9 weeks. :)

Hiya!

We'll I don't know how much weight I've lost, as I have no scales, but I do know that after 6 weeks on crutches my wrists are about to break!

I saw a few people from skating last night and they said I was looking great and can notice I'd lost weight (yay!), so I guess my lite n easy has been paying off and the other half is looking very hot, if I don't say so myself, so he's definately lost weight!

Can't wait until I can excerise properly again to hopefully speed up the process!

My scales are wildly inaccurate but if you kick em a bit before standing on them they seem mostly ok :)

I've lost 17kg in 5 months (ok, 3.5kg of that was a baby but still) and can juuuuust get back in size 10 jeans. Yay! I'm on the patented Eat What You Want diet, which involves an awful lot of cake. I like cake :D Didn't feel like doing any exercise to speak of until very recently but its nicer having more energy now, and I got some very good walking shoes which make a big difference. My goal weight is 53kg so about 5kg to go. Its funny, you gain almost half your bodyweight but only have to lose 1/3 of it. Isn't maths grand?

It's the law of diminishing returns, Kim. Keep doing what your doing and you'll see the results in time.

Also, don't worry so much about the weight on the scales. They can be deceptive.

Steve

Hey Alex!!

I think you've done a g8 job.

My hubby and I joined weight watchers 9 weeks ago. He has lost nearly 10 kgs and I had lost 6.1kgs last Monday.

I want to lose a further 10kgs (current weight 74.1, height 167cm)

I would recommend WW as a way to kick start ur plateau. I am aiming to reach my goal weight by February 2011.

I think you have done a g8 job by losing the weight slowly. This is much better for health and more chance of keeping it off over the long haul. I'm happy with 6kgs lost in 9 weeks. :)

thanks jesskaye :)

I have great news. I'm over my plateau!! :) Today at the gym I lost 1.5 kilo's. So I'm very relieved its now showing on the scales.

Good work on your weight loss! 6 is a good amount to lose in 9 weeks. It is hard work isn't it! Hard slog. Yep I've been going to weight watchers since April this year. I love the support of the meetings. I see that your in Perth too. Which meeting do you go to? I go to one in the city at lunch time!

I have 11 kilos to go to get to my goal weight of 65 kgs. My aim is to get there by March. Then I'll try hard to get to 60. If it takes me a further 6 months to lose the next 5 kgs to get to 60 I dont care.

My scales are wildly inaccurate but if you kick em a bit before standing on them they seem mostly ok :)

I've lost 17kg in 5 months (ok, 3.5kg of that was a baby but still) and can juuuuust get back in size 10 jeans. Yay! I'm on the patented Eat What You Want diet, which involves an awful lot of cake. I like cake :D Didn't feel like doing any exercise to speak of until very recently but its nicer having more energy now, and I got some very good walking shoes which make a big difference. My goal weight is 53kg so about 5kg to go. Its funny, you gain almost half your bodyweight but only have to lose 1/3 of it. Isn't maths grand?

wow, well done :)

Y33
Down 7 kg and 3 notches on the belt over the last few months

good work to you to Y33. Keep it up

It's the law of diminishing returns, Kim. Keep doing what your doing and you'll see the results in time.

Also, don't worry so much about the weight on the scales. They can be deceptive.

Steve

thank you for your encouragement steve. just the thing i need! :)

yes i keep reminding myself that every now and then over the past 8 months I started at weight watchers I go through a 2-3 week patch where i dont lose much and then all of a sudden i'll lose a heap in one go. But this time it was a 4 week plateau which was a little scarey. I just kept doing the hard work and knew that evenutally it would show up on the scale.

Weight loss is a funny thing. It is not a consistant. Overall when I look at my average weight loss over the 8 months it is currently sitting at 0.4 kilo per week. I am ecstatic to be able to average that amount. When I started I said I didnt care if it took me a year or a year and half to lose as long as I knew I would lose it. And everyone is different. Some lose quicker than others.

Back