Do I need a sparky to change a light switch?

Fixing the wiring in your house safely is not rocket science (especially in the time of the RCD). Millions of people have been doing it for a long time now...

With respect, not all circuits are protected by RCDs, I think the basic answer at this point is that it is illegal for a non registered person to do electrical work on a fixed installation whether we like it or not.

But as far as I know this stops at the fixed wiring, and as such you can make any thing you like to plug into a GPO without any electrical certification required, which may expose the end user to a far greater risk, particularily with non RCD applications.

The danger is also in renovating etc, as mentioned with the insulation installers, eg it's not hard to put a roofing screw through a wire and leave the roof "live" , (particularily with plastic downpipes) but is not a problem until someone steps off an alluminium ladder.

But as far as I know this stops at the fixed wiring, and as such you can make any thing you like to plug into a GPO without any electrical certification required, which may expose the end user to a far greater risk, particularily with non RCD applications..

Not correct...One needs to be licensed for that as well.

Why should you :confused:

I was referring to buying an existing house where there is no knowledge of the electrician who did the work. For electricians who do poor work I usually bring it to their attention in the first instance.

With respect, not all circuits are protected by RCDs, I think the basic answer at this point is that it is illegal for a non registered person to do electrical work on a fixed installation whether we like it or not.

True but that shouldn't stop us from advocating for change in the interest of public safety based on the best available evidence.

Not correct...One needs to be licensed for that as well.

Absolutely - opening up and fixing your own toaster (or anything else) requires an electrical licence.

Plenty of amateur radio operators build their own gear.

Low voltage side of a transformer is a different story.....you will find tho that to work on the 240/250v AC side they will need a restricted licence. Even to put a 3 pin plug top on the cord.

I don't need one, you said I wasn't correct , you produce it.

I dont need to produce it because its my qualified field of practice. Im merely stating you were incorrect. If you take issue to that and need written evidence otherwise, then you take the time search it out :)

Last edited:
HiEquity

Contractors think engineers should get their head out of a text book for an hour and crawl around in a roof or get up a ladder. Mostly big on theory, little knowledge of the practical.

Beside that, sparkies do a lot more than wire up a GPO or 2.In that sense, most people wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Doing a GPO or wiring/changing a light switch is the equivalent of a mechanic changing a spark plug.

My standard question to people who thought they could do their own wiring was:

"Do you know how to wire 2 way/3 way/intermediate switching of lights?" Its very basic stuff for a sparkie and just about everyone i asked said no.

Its something a 1st/2nd year apprentice can do.

I'm a contractor (non practicing these days but keep my licence current) and am almost insulted by this thread.

I'm a contractor (non practicing these days but keep my licence current) and am almost insulted by this thread.

Sorry about that evand - my intention wasn't to insult anyone. Only to point out the lower electrical accident rate in those jurisdictions who let people work on their own wiring. I find the evidence compelling...

And I agree people should stick to what they're good at. Engineers should work on designing stuff and electricians work on installing stuff. I am nevertheless puzzled by a regulatory regime that doesn't require a licence for the former but does for the latter when the requirements for competence are arguably more onerous and critical for the former. Particularly in the area of high rise structures for example...

I know I am best able to judge my own competence for physical work and yet am prevented by law from doing so. I have instructed plenty of electricians in my time and know the limits of my own and their skills and knowledge. At the end of the day I guess I'm just not a fan of the tendency of Australian governments to regulate every activity they can think of - from operating a boat to going fishing to household electrical work.

That's ok mate. You might think you know about electrical contracting/wiring but you don't really.

I remember thinking i was a pretty damn good sparkie, i realised 10 years after that i was actually pretty average then and pretty good 10 years later. In total it took me 16 years to become a well rounded, really good electrician.

To look at just about any building (commercial, industrial, residential) and say to myself i know the fastest, cheapest, most efficient way to wire that place up. (mains, switchboards, metering, sub boards, power, light and comms) Within an hour or two be able to do the job completely in my head before i lay a finger on the place. That takes a lot of experience.

For someone that's never done to say they can do this stuff is ridiculous.

As i have explained previously. The licensing and strict regulation are there as the electrics of a premises is connected to a public network and the public network can be compromised if dangerous work is done at a single premises. Its not just about safety of a single premises.

The same applies to plumbing and comms.

The reality is people can do whatever they like but be prepared for the consequences. I have done plumbing/drainage at home previously and i'm not licensed for plumbing.

But the fact is they have to take full responsibility if things go pear shaped.

By the way, for an exercise. Can anyone on here explain to me how to do a simple 2 way switch. (without looking at Google, ok)

By the way, for an exercise. Can anyone on here explain to me how to do a simple 2 way switch. (without looking at Google, ok)
Yes, I can but it will get deleted, once you get to 3 way you have to use an intermediate switch, which sort of switches diagonally within itself, once you've got to this point, you can keep adding intermediate switches, to run up several flights of stairs for example.

Not bad. Did you check with Google?

btw: Why would it be deleted?

Yes, I can but it will get deleted, once you get to 3 way you have to use an intermediate switch, which sort of switches diagonally within itself, once you've got to this point, you can keep adding intermediate switches, to run up several flights of stairs for example.

Not bad. Did you check with Google?

btw: Why would it be deleted?

No, it was something my old man taught me, along with having a healthy respect for electricity. Something else he taught me was that electricity is colour blind, and man should not fiddle!

I didn't want to explain in such a way that may lead someone into a trap, or breach the forum rules.:)

Back