Expensive Private Schools

Hi All
For those who can afford to foot the bill for the private, very expensive schools would like to know has it really been worth it?? Personally, I would rather spend the money on European holiday for the family, perhaps there is more of an education in this.

I have two children, first child private expensive school, second public school.

From my experience I would say don't spend the money on private, would like to know what others think???:)

Last edited:
I could afford to but choose not to and instead went with a moderate charging private school.
Kindergarten to year 12 will cost around $40k for 14 years of schooling.

The public schools in my area are pretty much holes but I think I'm getting value for money from our private school.

If you knew some of the low achieving, unkempt, drug-taking teachers I've met working in government schools, I think you'd be glad to pay a few thousand to a private school in order to ensure your kids actually learn something useful.

would rather err on the side of caution and go private. we are very happy with our decision. I am from a public school background which was fine however the world has changed a lot since those days

40k for 14years .............

You can pay that for a little over a year in some of the higher favoured schools.

Childcare used to cost our family >20 k per year.......so I was happy when they started school :)

ta
rolf

You can pay that for a little over a year in some of the higher favoured schools.

Childcare used to cost our family >20 k per year.......so I was happy when they started school :)

ta
rolf

good point Rolf - our youngest's prekindy is more exxy than the private school fees

If the public school isn't in a popular zone or middle class area (both usually hard to get into as out of zone families are trying to access it too) I'd go for private.

Most paying families in private schools have very high expectations of teachers and don't let them slack off or allow the school to get away with tolerating behaviour that students at some public schools get away with - theft, assault, smoking on school grounds, carrying weapons, not to mention simple class disruption that prevents everyone else from learning.

I went to public schools in the days when they were all supposedly good but my childrens private mid priced (works out to 112K per child for 14 years at todays prices) school is superior in every way to the ones i went to.

I have no regrets and can still afford to go to Europe if i wanted.

Yep. It all depends on how good the local state schools are. Living in the inner west (Sydney) and leaning left (politically) I'm a fan of public education, but the three state high schools near us are no good. In 5-10 years they may be fine, but not yet - too many ratty parents and their ratty offspring. My wife taught in the better of the three local schools for two years recently to confirm her suspicions - she's back teaching at university where she belongs. Teachers at state schools are often so loaded up with admin and discipline issues that they don't have time to teach.
So our 12 year old is at a private school - a mid price one, thankfully. Her sister will follow. Per kid it's about $20K a year, so when they're both there, it will be $40K.
Sigh.
But I do like the fact that I get emails from the teachers letting me know about assignments and if there are things we should know about, and if I email them, they respond very quickly.
Many years ago, back in a previous life, I taught English at a Private School. The difference with the kids was that they knew there were different behaviours appropriate for different situations i.e. the classroom vs the playground. Parents of kids at private schools also tend to be demanding of the school, and their kids. I remember when I was teaching we had parent teacher nights often. I used to refer to them as 'investor evenings'. There were parents I got along well with and they liked it when I said stuff like, 'I think your investment is performing well. She could do a bit better with her spelling, but I think long term you'll get a good return out of this one.'
Kids in private schools also can often be exposed to interesting stuff. My daughter is going to a Pink concert this weekend because the father of one of her friends is Pink's manager. So she'll be backstage and all of that. I don't think she quite understands what that will be like, but I told her it will be great fun.
So far, my investment is performing well.

Hi All
For those who can afford to fit the bill for the private, very expensive schools would like to know has it really been worth it?? Personally, I would rather spend the money on European holiday for the family, perhaps there is more of an education in this.

I have two children, first child private expensive school, second public school.

From my experience I would say don't spend the money on private, would like to know what others think???:)

I guess a lot comes down to the catchment area you're in. If you happen to live in an area with decent public schooling than the benefits of private schooling aren't likely to be as large.

I'm going through this minor dilemma at the moment. We're pretty lucky with the quality of public schooling in the ACT and I'm in a catchment area with some great public school options.

However, there's also an excellent private school close by that I've signed the kids up to (the waiting list is quite long) and if they get accepted - I'll probably go that option. My motivation for doing so is pretty much summed up by Weg's post re quality of teachers and behavior of students.

Cheers

Jamie

We chose a mid priced private school for our oldest son because of his nature and for the "feel", the family values and good reputation for being a good school without any sort of elite snobbery attached... the "vibe" if you will :D of a private school over a huge school well over 1,000 pupils (pushing 2,000).

It was the right choice, and our other two sons simply went there too. All boys would have managed to get through the public system but I know first hand that bullying was managed quickly and very well whereas I know the management of bullying and such is not so clear cut or easy in the public system.

I also believe that whilst we are in the catchment for a couple of top notch public schools, the kids I know who went there were offered "free drugs" within the first few weeks of school, kids were having sex behind sheds and the dregs of the local area went there because they were in the catchment.

This was one of the main things I wanted to avoid, and yet this school is one for which people move houses to get into the catchment area. All kids must go to school, and those who don't care will naturally not be sent to private schools, so the public schools have kids who really want to be there for the great schooling on offer, plus the dregs who have to go to school "somewhere".

If the cost is the issue then look into scholarships - v. few parents bother to get their kids to try out for one. I'm surprised at some of the kids who are on them.

Hi All
For those who can afford to fit the bill for the private, very expensive schools would like to know has it really been worth it?? Personally, I would rather spend the money on European holiday for the family, perhaps there is more of an education in this.

The only way to look at it is what do you want when the final day comes in 12-13 years,My Wife wanted private all girls from day one,and I did most of the pickups-drop-offs it was expensive not so much the school fees books clothes,but all the extras,but it has paided off in a big way in the lifetime contacts they have made,and we wll be flying down too Melbourne later this year to watch one of the crew graduate in psychology,i'm her first patient:rolleyes:..

Last edited:
Junior goes to the only local private school (kindy to yr12) - fees are very reasonable at around $1,000/term for yr5 - which includes absolutely everything except uniforms.

In the fees she gets a MacBook computer - excursion to Canberra in 2 months time - usually has a local excursion twice a term to see a play or experience life outside school doing things like absailing or visiting the state forest - music lessons - and lots of other in school activities.

The teachers are lovely (surprising number of male teachers compared to public) - uniform rules are very strict so no mini skirts or track pants etc (and no one cares 'cause they're all the same) - some small instances of bullying, but pulled into line very quickly.

Compare that to the local public school where she used to go in our old town where we'd pay minimal fees but have our hand in our pocket every second day for some "cost" - however - we did look at private schools in that area but weren't prepared to pay $15k, plus uniforms and excursions, for kindy.

The public school in our old area was very, very good, and had a waiting list to get in - but where we are now, the primaries are great but the high schools are drugs, sex and short skirts ... no thanks.

Add in that her private school offers, and encourages, a lot of different activities outside the norm that caters to kids that don't "do" the expected football, cricket, netball - so tomorrow we're off to yet another interschool equestrian comp (180+ kids and their horses) and the equestrian team are putting on a display for the upcoming school fair.

I could afford to but choose not to and instead went with a moderate charging private school.

The public schools in my area are pretty much holes but I think I'm getting value for money from our private school.

You could do a lot worse than Carine, and Churchlands isn't more than a bus ride away.

Not judging your decision, btw.

We're enrolling my girl in kindy for next year right now. we've got an affordable private school very close, and a decent public school lust a touch further.

We're out of the boundaries for the public school - although I could hit the boundary with a rock from my front yard - so we're using rates notice from out rental property to get her there. The one we're meant to send her to looks nasty.

Mrs D's best friend is a year 2 (i think) teacher at a private school not too far away and almost has us convinced we should be sending them private.

My biggest concern is that the two private schools in question are Catholic and Baptist, and I understand they tend to be quite negative towards our alternative Christian religion. Don't want my kids thinking even the teachers are picking on them.

ta
rolf

Correct! That is why I'm happy with that investment. It's a darn site cheaper than daycare and I can afford to send the 3 kids all together.

I started off sending our first to a government school. I was quite horrified with the standard of comments which were being made on reports even at primary school- there were grammatical mistakes which I would not have expected a 12yo to make.

We sent her to an exy private school for a few years, but financial problems arising from an agribusiness investment and ATO meant that we had to put her into a government school for a few years.

On the whole it was the level of interest and enthusiasm of the teachers which really made a difference. At the government high school there was one fantastic and enthusiastic maths teacher- but the rest were a waste of space.

We tried the Catholic school for a few years but that was a disaster. Although the other teachers were mostly OK, the maths teacher undid all the good which the government teacher had done. And the level of religion teaching was over the top.

We ended up sending her to the Anglican private school when we could afford it, and her sister followed suit.

The difference in the level of care and enthusiasm was huge.

Neither of our girls were great academic achievers, but they both came out of school with a far better approach to life than they would have otherwise.

One of the maxims of the school was that it doesn't matter how clever you are, it's important to know how you are clever.

My biggest concern is that the two private schools in question are Catholic and Baptist, and I understand they tend to be quite negative towards our alternative Christian religion. Don't want my kids thinking even the teachers are picking on them.

I don't know about Baptist although I would be surprised if any different, but Catholic are very tolerant of other religions.

Teachers themselves are of different religions and i know for a fact some are athiest.

Lots of Muslims at Catholic schools too who get on just fine.

I think as long as you don't go knocking religion/get vocal in any athiest views you might have (MANY closet and some open athiests at religious schools too) there shouldn't be any issues.

I don't know how the Baptists are at school. The Catholic school we sent our daughter to was quite over the top. Religion was a big part of the curriculum, and an advanced knowledge was required. Our daughter struggled. The Anglican school had religion as a part of its curriculum, but it was low key, and many non Christian girls attended.

I was at a Baptist residential college at Uni and it was never an issue, although the situation there is quite different. One of my friends from that college is n ow a principal of a Baptist school (not WA) and I'd be really surprised if there was any pushing of a religious view point or negative view of others from a different viewpoint in his school, knowing him.

It would be worth while researching the attitudes in both schools.

Back