Finished our reno-Yeehah.

Fantastic stuff travel bug! And thanks so much for posting!

Just on the spray gun thing again, heard how great these are but yet to try, did you spray ceiling first then tape off walls? And vice versa for walls?

We masked up the windows first.
We sprayed walls and ceilings with primer as some were new gyprock and some were smoke stained.
We then sprayed the ceilings and cornice. After that we rolled the walls.

Awesome outcome tb.

Can confirm spray guns are cool. I bought one with a mate and it has paid for itself several times over. Preparation and masking is the key tho.

Where did you get your kitchen and how exxy was it? Did you put together a flatpack yourselves or get it fully installed?

Yeah after the initial arguments:D it was great. Saved days.

We get our kitchens from Sydney Kitchen and Bathroom. This one was $3K (bit dearer because of the pantry). We won't do that again.
Our others have been around $2600. Cabinets are complete (not flatpack). That saves at least a day. The picture of the kitchen below was $2600 (last year). They are great quality. Poly doors, longline handles.
We install but they will also.

Attachments

• IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 140
I was at a Property Investing expo in Perth some time back and the guy from Property Secrets had just finished his spiel, they were apparently getting a number of investors in to buy-reno-revalue using themselves as a one-stop-shop (finance-insurance-management-renovation team-mentor).

Part of thier plans were to re-gentrify the area by going enmasse to a developer in 5 years time and putting up new properties, I've never seen anything more though.

Another group in the area was the Discount Property Group, Follow me Chat Club, Next Property Millionaire or...they have since wound back their activities

Somersoft Link

Then there's The Right Group and Nathan as well as other Somersoft investors in the area

Ex HC stock being sold, all these renovations etc...is it making a noticeable change in the area?

We get our kitchens from Sydney Kitchen and Bathroom. This one was $3K (bit dearer because of the pantry). We won't do that again.
Our others have been around $2600. Cabinets are complete (not flatpack). That saves at least a day. The picture of the kitchen below was $2600 (last year). They are great quality. Poly doors, longline handles.
We install but they will also.

Looks great

is it this mob ?

or is it the villawood one with no website? (below ad is hotfrog result from google search)

Sydney Kitchens & Bathrooms
203 Woodville Road, Villawood, NSW 2163
Canterbury-bankstown
p: 97257200 97257201 f: 97256580
Website - none provided

Redwing- I am noticing lots of places being done up then rented out. There are 2 Property Secrets ones near mine. Yes they do the one stop deal. There have been court cases regarding the cost of the reno's (so I hear).

It certainly is hotting up. There are some great streets but still a lot of dodgy ones. You need to go there and check it out before committing.

The thing I'm noticing which I think may be detrimental to the area is the number of granny flats. he area is quite condensed anyway and my fear is total population overload. In December I looked at RE.com to check what rent I might advertise mine for. I noticed 5 that were $280-290pw which looked good (basic reno). I wondered why they were so cheap. When I looked more closely I noticed they ALL had written that they would be adding a granny flat in the near future.

knightm- it's the Villawood one. They mainly sell to kitchen mobs and installers.

Whatever happened to Property secrets and their plans of redeveloping the area?

They were talking group redevelopments and re-gentrification of some western Sydney areas, I ask as I have an IP in the area and thought their plans would tie in with mine :D

hi travel bug, great job well done!

if you dont mind me asking, other then the obvious smell, staining, is there anything you should look out for when dealing with fire damaged places? eg if something is particularly badly damaged, then its not worth it?

with replacing the walls, was it simply a case of taking the burnt/stained ones and replacing? ie any different to doing it to a non fire damaged house with large holes in it?

the floorbaords, are they floating ones?

can I ask how much the entire thing cost you?

once again well done! truly inspiring

Thanks guys. Can't believe that was 6 months ago. We needed a break after that one and have only just started looking again.

hi travel bug, great job well done!

if you dont mind me asking, other then the obvious smell, staining, is there anything you should look out for when dealing with fire damaged places? eg if something is particularly badly damaged, then its not worth it?

with replacing the walls, was it simply a case of taking the burnt/stained ones and replacing? ie any different to doing it to a non fire damaged house with large holes in it?

the floorbaords, are they floating ones?

can I ask how much the entire thing cost you?

once again well done! truly inspiring

With fire damage you need to be careful with electrical. If you have to rewire the whole place that is expensive. I didn't have a problem with the smell. There was no structural damage (well one beam above the fire). The insulated bats saved the roof.
With our renos we replace the bathrooms and kitchen anyway so the only extra was replacing some gyprock. We replaced 2 bedrooms, half the loungeroom and lounge ceiling, all the bathroom and kitchen walls. I scrubbed and patched one bedroom but in hindsite we should have stripped more. Scrubbing takes too long and gyprock is not expensive. We should have paid a gyprocker also. It went up quick but the setting and sanding takes forever (well seemed like it). And I HATE doing cornice. No different to walls with holes if you are replacing it.

We normally polish floors but the hall floor was patched so we carpeted. The floating floor in the dining/kitchen was already there and luckily no burns (even though they set the AC on fire above it).

We budgetted $25K and we came in at $23K so we decided to fix the driveway and get the roof painted so on budget. :D

Except for the first kitchen we did. When I asked how much it would cost to replace the kitchen hubby said "I can get a kitchen off Ebay for $500, so $1000". Turns out he forgot lots of extra's. I wasn't impressed. But since then we have always been pretty spot on with our reno budgets. I have to give hubby most of the credit for the budget.

We paid $400 off Ebay for the gun. There is a thread on here about spray guns if you do a search.

Back