Hidden GoPro camera reveals what it's like to walk through NYC as a woman.

If she was fishing for compliments she should have been wearing short shorts.

I wonder how many she would have got if she was wearing a burkha?

Player, the whole premise behind the 'street harrassment' phenomenon is this:

'Only men that I find attractive should be allowed to approach me and only when I am in the mood to be approached. Guys that approach me that I am not attracted to are automatically creepy and need to be shamed for committing the heinous crime of acting on their desires.

All men should automatically know, at all times, which guys I am attracted to and which guys I am not and act accordingly. I should not be expected to show any signs of whom I am attracted to, all men should at all times be able to read my mind and know exactly how I am feeling and what I am thinking.

I further reserve the right to change my mind on a whim and label a guy whom I was previously attracted to as instantly creepy after he commits a tiny mistake or inadvertently says something silly.'

You just don't get it Mr F. Every bloke becomes unattractive when he behaves like this and it isextremely overwhelming when you can't walk down the street without the whole world staring at you.
You may have had a few women come onto you. Congrats. That's not the same thing. You'll never understand. But clearly, some do.

Depends what you define as 'scary/creepy'. I don't mind it, but then I'm an adult and handle it like an adult.

Actually, no wait, one time I was waiting at the lights to cross the road and this one broad hung out the window of a car and wolf whistled at me. So I turned around started doing a sexy dance.

Sure, it's different when we're older and it's a one-off.

You just don't get it Mr F. Every bloke becomes unattractive when he behaves like this and it isextremely overwhelming when you can't walk down the street without the whole world staring at you.
You may have had a few women come onto you. Congrats. That's not the same thing. You'll never understand. But clearly, some do.

I'm going to step in here and say the Freud, who had quite a lucrative practice treating neurotic Austrian women, was once asked what is it that women want. His reply was that he didn't know. I suspect many women don't either. If she's told she's ugly men are superficial. If she's told she's attractive she's harassed (didn't watch the whole thing but the negroid gentleman following her for 5 minutes was bad form). I'm sure if she was ignored there would be a patriarchal problem too.
PS women don't try to crack on to me but I expect because that's because my boyish good looks deserted me with the 90s - personally I'd be chuffed with the positive attention- but as has been said- an angry woman with a mission.

Was the pace setting camera woman also taunted? :confused:
I heard it was her boyfriend?

TBH, I would hate to eliminate the attention altogether. This is clearly OTT - and when someone is very young, it's just horrible. Definitely harassment.
At times when I've travelled and have received a lot of attention, I didn't find it sexist and in some ways, that extra attention made me feel safer and better looked after.
There are different kinds of attention though. The attention that breasts receive is not nice to be around.

Last edited:
PS women don't try to crack on to me but I expect because that's because my boyish good looks deserted me with the 90s - personally I'd be chuffed with the positive attention- but as has been said- an angry woman with a mission.

As usual, you don't get it. Maybe you could make an effort to understand someone who's not exactly like you and has had different experiences in life.
If you look at your post again, you'll see that you know that women don't like being judged by how they look either way when the situation doesn't call for it. Different if you're out and want to pick up a girlfriend. Not ok for the street, work, family, friends, friends' partners, etc. See?

I'm wondering if I'm watching a different video to those who see no harassment.

The guys who simply said 'hi beautiful' or 'have a nice day' I didn't have a problem with.

The ones who continued to badger her and say 'why won't you smile at me?' or 'aren't you going to talk to me?' were harassing her. She obviously was not interested in interacting with them and they continued to badger and make her seem like a snarky, unappreciated ****** because she wouldn't smile or talk to them.

Now they know nothing about her. Perhaps she suffers social anxiety, perhaps her parents have just died, perhaps she's been raped by a stranger in the past and is weary or perhaps she just doesn't appreciated unsolicited comments from strangers. It's really none of their business why, but it's obvious she does not want to interact and some of them adopt a threatening tone as a result.

The men who followed her are absolutely without doubt harassing her.

So far as men complimenting women go, I personally don't have a problem with it. Men have to accept that not every woman appreciates it though and to continue to badger her is harassment. It's threatening and anyone who can't see that is socially inept beyond belief.

I see people saying hello and complimenting her while she acts rudely and barges through everyone. She must have a lot of time on her hands to cherry pick every comment made during a 10 hour walk and edit it into a 1.5 minute video. I think OP is trolling posting this and the thread should be locked or deleted.

Still a dork - I mean pork. :p

Last edited:
Let's look at this objectively by defining 'harass':

ha?rass (h-rs, hrs)
tr.v. ha?rassed, ha?rass?ing, ha?rass?es
1. To irritate or torment persistently.
2. To wear out; exhaust.
3. To impede and exhaust (an enemy) by repeated attacks or raids.

Most of the comments directed at her are not harassment. At the end of the video she claims she was harassed by 'people of all backgrounds'. All different backgrounds? Looks like 90 - 100% of the offenders were inner-city black/hispanic males from a lower-middle class; which is a specific demographic.

Is this video showcasing the plight of the average woman or perpetuating racism by highlighting minority groups in the inner city and their marked socioeconomic inequality? All I see in this video is a race baiting, socially-inept, self-victimizing entitled woman who intentionally walked through run-down ghettos in Harlem where she knew she'd get guys whistling. If she walked down Wall St or a nicer neighbourhood near Central Park she wouldn't even get a glance. The end "street harassment" movement is thinly veiled racism and classism.

My conclusion from this video is that "street harassment" is not a problem for women unless you walk around a ghetto for 10 hours where you might experience a few seconds of crude pick up by uneducated men.

The rating system for this video on Youtube was disabled after it became more than 3/4 negative. Apparently it was done by a guy who paid the woman to do the video. Seems like this guy is a professional troll trying to get attention/money as he's asking for donations.
http://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/2kkiex/hidden_gopro_camera_reveals_what_its_like_to_walk/clmbj8v

The copycats have started already:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cwg/4736283826.html

idiot.png

At the end of the video she claims she was harassed by 'people of all backgrounds'. All different backgrounds? Looks like 90 - 100% of the offenders were inner-city black/hispanic males from a lower-middle class; which is a specific demographic.

Not surprising in the slightest. Much of the so-called 'street harassment' brigade target minorities, specifically black males for their campaign.

Here is a link to a series of blog articles written by a working class black man on his perspective relating to so-called street harassment.

http://www.justfourguys.com/?s=street+harassment&submit=Search

These two are particularly good:

http://www.justfourguys.com/harassed-by-reality-a-conversation-with-ms-lindsey-of-cards-against-harassment/

http://www.justfourguys.com/the-inability-to-seek-consent/

Last edited:
We'll see how we go. Maybe I should start running odds on thread survival time?

Seems to have stayed above the waterline so far, interesting link would be good to see something like this done in the Brisbane Valley Nightclub Areas
at three in the morning on a Friday nightjust as the high stilettos start to fly..

I'm interested in those who say "it is in a black ghetto" and comparing it to, say, Wall Street, and what would be different.

Does that mean it is okay for a black woman who is walking in her own neighbourhood to be hassled (whether it is called harassment of not), catcalled, followed for five minutes, questioned when she clearly doesn't want to interact etc? Or is there some idea that a black woman walking alone in her own neighbourhood somehow has less rights to be able to feel safe than a white woman? (The woman in the clip doesn't look "white", looks like she has some spanish blood (or similar), is very attractive, but doesn't stick out like Gwyneth Paltrow would in that street.)

I don't think this comes down to where it happens, it comes down to somebody's right to be able to walk down a street and feel safe (no matter skin colour, what she is wearing). A wolf whistle is one thing, but when she doesn't respond to that, for the same chap to then start to call out is clearly overstepping the line, and that gets into territory that, for anyone (but especially to a lone woman), clearly can feel very threatening.

which sort of shows that it's got nothing to do with sexism, but is plain rudeness.

the simple test is: if you were approached on the street by your favorite actor of the opposite sex (or same sex for gay people) and he said hello to you, would you feel harassed or not?

somehow i think that in 99.9999999% of the cases the answer would be no

Not quite. You know who your favorite actor is. If a friend came up to you and said the same thing, even though you didn't find them attractive you wouldn't feel harassed.

When a complete stranger behaves in this manner it can be threatening.

Take gender out of it. If a guy who's 150cm (5 feet) tall, skinny and fairly shy walks down the street and a muscular 190cm guy starts to shadow him, is it unreasonable for the little guy to feel threatened?

Not quite. You know who your favorite actor is. If a friend came up to you and said the same thing, even though you didn't find them attractive you wouldn't feel harassed.

When a complete stranger behaves in this manner it can be threatening.

Take gender out of it. If a guy who's 150cm (5 feet) tall, skinny and fairly shy walks down the street and a muscular 190cm guy starts to shadow him, is it unreasonable for the little guy to feel threatened?

ok. instead of your favorite actor lets take a lookalike who you don't know, but think it's your favorite actor.

the fact that you decide to take a gender out to prove your point kinda shows that this got nothing to do with sexism:rolleyes:

Yeah, this is the Brad Pitt Rule.

the simple test is: if you were approached on the street by your favourite actor of the opposite sex (or same sex for gay people) and he said hello to you, would you feel harassed or not?

It's not the 'hello' that is harassment; it's the 'how'ya going babe?', the 'give me your number', 'am I too ugly for you?', 'smile baby'. I doubt that Brad Pitt would say any of those things, but if he did, yes, it would still be harassment (even if you could laugh about with your friends later on).

Put it this way: if you, as a man, were in a space of gay bikies--all much bigger and stronger than you and all of whom had an edge of violence about them--who started to proposition you, tell you to smile, follow you uninvited for any amount of time, you would begin to fathom how it can feel for a woman.

I reckon after a 10 hour walk through NYC, only getting followed by 1 creepy dude is pretty good.

My son used to get upset when cows in paddocks looked at him. Frikken animals.

Back