How do you stay motivated?

I often have these spats of wanting to get ahead and be in a position to have the residual income to enjoy life without strings attached (and maybe own a porsche ;-p)

I am not a person who needs riches, rather I would enjoy them and think they could facilitate things I would like to do outside working. I also honestly want to be a residential renovator as I enjoy it so much. ie doing something for a living I enjoy.

But my motivation subsides and I sink back into accepting what I have, which is not bad, I dont have wealth but I have a good career. Maybe I just dont want the "more" bad enough? Or perhaps I am just a bit of an up and down person hehe. I think part of it though is getting to anywhere substantial will take a few years work and savings, and that I find demotivating (I should have been a gen y hehe).

I guess what I am asking is, has your motivation for property ever subsided, and if so, how did you get it back on track?

1. Reading & contributing to Somersoft

2. Continue to educate myself

3. Have outside interests and activities

4. Enjoy the Success of others (takes me back to .1)

Having the occasional chat with my friend's husband always helps me. He has 9 properties, including nice PPOR that is paid off, is on his 2nd marriage and has raised 2 kids from first marriage and 2 from new marriage on a less than average income. He is mid-forties and is really positive about property. When things get me down and I chat to him, my 'hassles' and negative thoughts disappear. I think I'm due for a chat to him. Although it is not Rixter, he reminds me of Rixter on this forum.

To use a running analogy.

has your motivation for property ever subsided, and if so, how did you get it back on track?

I think like most human emotions, it ebbs and flows according to the micro events that pass your way constantly.

Sometimes when a big deal is going down, working 20 hours a day to get it over the line is no problem at all....the thrill of the chase and all that. The ability to turn on the speed and sprint to catch a juicy morsel along the way is a vital component of your race.

I find motivation at an intense level is hard to sustain long term.....and the property game we play is a marathon, not a sprint, so getting into a good steady stride, getting comfortable with a long efficient lope, and eyes afixed squarely at the horizon sees you covering the most ground in the shortest possible time toward the goal.

Staring at the ground below your feet and sprinting along in short bursts, then big periods of walking or standing still rarely achieves much.

Of course, running on a smooth track that hopefully slopes slightly downwards helps alot with travelling great distances. Having to constantly run through thick sand and uphill isn't much fun. Lots of energy and effort required for little return would surely de-motivate most people.

I would say the key to not losing motivation during the marathon is therefore ;

• Start with a great set of legs (good income)
  • Buy the best shoes money can buy (proper strategy and professional advice)
  • Don't attempt a marathon with a lead ball and chain around your ankle (life partners must be supportive of your efforts)
  • Choose a smooth, downward sloping track (great Tenant positive geared investment)
  • Take onboard plenty of fluids and nutrients (get good rent reviews in built)
  • Make sure the first finishing line is not over the horizon (don't set your initial goals too high)
  • Run in a pack (hang out with other good investors)
  • Rest appropriately after the finish before starting your next marathon (reward yourself appropriately when you achieve a goal before instantly moving onto the next stage)

:D And Dazz motivates me too. I remember reading an API while my daughter did dance classes some 5 years ago. API rarely had any articles about Perth, or property other than resi. Great inspiration! Thanks Dazz!!!

The chase of a deal is great.

The other day my boss told me in my annual review that what motivates him is doing deals and closing deals. Then I thought to myself, "wtf are you on about... we're closing deals for other people, not ourselves. Why would you get excited?"

Fear motivates me! Fear of regrets.

And like Dazz, I treat this investing game as a marathon.

I am with Telejazzer. Dont want to die wondering and boredom ya gotta do something. And a character flaw, have to prove all those negative people wrong who say it cant be done and wont work.

Nothing annoys me more than closing deals for people and pretending like it's a big deal. Do I really care that Agrium bought AWB or BHP tried to buy Rio Tinto? How does it change my life? It doesn't... But signing up a tenant for an extra $1 a week actually puts $$$ in my pocket!

Someone once told me 'who you become is shaped by the books you read and the people you hang out with'.

The books, blogs and magazines I read, the clear and reachable goals I've set, the actions I take daily towards my goals, hanging out with like minded people right here on this forum and writing about my experiences, learnings and adventures on my blog sustains my motivation.

I think its unrealistic to feel highly motivated/excited about anything over a long period of time. We go through period of motivation/ boredom and just living day to day, and all are very normal.
We have tried to set our family on the path that we want to be on, and we just take one step at a time, one day at a time, and because we are on the right path, we are continually closer to our goal.
Every so often, we become aware that we need to readjust the path, and thats where the higher levels of motivation/ focus come... and then its just back to plodding along.
I guess its the difference between the tortoise and the hare. If you just have the occassional burst of activity, you will finish behind those who are consistently heading towards their goal

Very true Penny

I find I am most motivated when a combination of things come together ... most importantly are that "nothing else is going on" and, secondly, we have some spare cash in the bank, or equity in the ppor, for deposit. Combined with deals available - but those are just a case of looking and finding.

Hence, being totally flat out at the moment, I am very unmotivated.

I am super busy trying to get proto-types made before Christmas of our new business product (first of many products), after having been up and going since 6am and currently on brief lunch break before going again.

Have the cash in the bank, enough for 3 deposits but that is earmarked for either our reno, or if hubby gets new job in Perth we'll be selling the current ppor and buying something mortgage free (using that money).

I wish I was motivated as I've spotted a couple of good deals around recently - but it just ain't happening.

What books have motivated you?

Motivation, has been up and down over the last 20 years.

I'm finding that reading inspirational books is helping, biographies of sports stars or investors/entrepreneurs.

The last 5 years have been difficult climbing out of the very large ***** hole we dug for ourselves. We had the motivation to focus on one goal and get stuck in to that but finding the motivation to look for other paths and other ways out of the problem was difficult, I would find that on a bad day I just couldn't think, brain would not work. Takes a fair bit of positive motivation to pull yourself back into a thought process that comes up with good ideas.

I was going to ask about books what books have people read that have given them a good motivation boost to get out and do something positive?

I'm looking for reading material to make the train ride to work easier.

Definitely a question that alot of people have. The real answer however, can only be found by you. You are the only one who knows what drive's you to want to succeed. You know what you want out of life, whether it's health, wealth , happiness or good relationships. Everyone has different goals and things they want out of life. What do you want? That's a question that you need to ask yourself. When you ask good questions, you get good answers. You may find it easier to stay motivated by going to personal development seminars, reading books listening to audio CD's etc. Go to the local porche shop and ask to test drive one! Dreambuilding is a massive excercise.

Yes dream building is a great one. Gives you perspective.

I've gone on inspections to many houses, buildings ($100m+ types) that I can't afford but it gives you perspective. Not to waste the agent's time - as the person who lined it up for me usually wants to see for himself any way.

What motivates me is the carrot and the stick.

The carrot is the thought of being able to semi-retire before age 67 if I feel like it.

The stick is the thought of living in poverty after retirement.

Can definitely identify with the ups and downs of being motivated...hang in there!

When I lose focus - and yes it is very daunting sometimes - I try and remember:
a) seeing my dad finish up in a small bedsit after building working really hard for other people all his life
b) our four little kids to provide a future for
c) previous experiences with ****head bosses

(and how nice it will be to stick it to all those snobs with flash cars and massive mortgages who told us how silly we were to buy such a terrible dump of a first house - the same one who made us over 100k+ in equity 4 years later!)

It is not necessary to be gung-ho and "out there" all the time.

So long as you put in place wise investments, it is fine to let them hum along for some considerable time without further input. In our years of investing we have had periods of action where we may have purchased a property or shares, followed by a year or two of consolidation where we rebuilt our buffer funds and/or focused on family.

Remember the story of the hare and the tortoise.
Marg

I think its unrealistic to feel highly motivated/excited about anything over a long period of time. We go through period of motivation/ boredom and just living day to day, and all are very normal.

100% agree.

I stay motivated by getting away from it all for months and doing something completely different, then the motivation kind of comes back on its own.

The thought that being financially secure willgive me more choice is motivation. Within reason I don't want to be restricted in where I live, what I can afford to do, where I can afford to eat, go on holidays, clothes I wear, where I send kids to school, if I can afford to pay for care of loved ones if needed. The thought of the freedom this would provide motivates me.

Back