Kangaroo Meat. Would You Eat It??

v. low fat, mostly "organic", grass fed, if shot properly nil adrenal stress.

You need to be careful how u cook it, and if you like meat well done, the steak cuts wont appeal, too chewy

ta
rolf

Best meat is the young Wally doe rib fillet,

It is as tender as a fresh loaf of bread straight out of the bakery.

Being born in the bush we had roo tail soup regularly.

One of my jobs was a professional shooter for five years,

I now find it hard to buy it in the shop because I know how it gets there :eek:

Here is a short clip of mine with me skinning kangaroos ,:D

Yes that is me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpIDUfAxbmw

I think kangaroo tastes quite nice, it's tender and it's reasonably cheap. It seems to be more environmentally friendly than beef. The issue I have with it is that when you are cooking it it STINKS. It smells like cheap pet food. That really puts me off eating it. I'll eat it if someone else cooks it, but not if I have to.

That puts me off a bit, too - the smell.

I use the mince quite a bit in pasta sauce.

The strips work well in stir fries and curries.

Very lean - almost solid red meat, so need to add a (fair) bit of oil/fat when cooking with it.

The Y-man

The mince smells bad. The rest is good. Loved dishing it up to MIL (very unadventurous with food) who had no idea what she was eating! :D Said she loved it until told what it was, after which "I thought there was something wrong with it". ;)

Noticed that it's gone from about $10kg to $16kg in our local Coles. $10kg is value, anything more than that is hard to justify when I can by good beef steaks for similar price.

Yeah, (I eat it), it's been a part of my diet from childhood, I prefer to eat lamb, steak, chicken, fish and pork however, roo meat doesn't float my culinary boat, it's too old hat. we grow our own lamb, beef, chicken and pork, so the $$ savings are good, plus far more tender than supermarket stuff, and we have a butcher in the family.

Love it! Tried it a few times at home but haven't ever cooked it as nicely as resteraunts, so usually only eat it when I'm out. Wouldn't have a clue about price per kg.

I like to eat it
and it pure meat so does need oil to stop it sticking and breaking off
as for export
the live trade price hops around a bit:D
and not a great animal to try to feed in a feedlot.:eek:
a 450kg roo or waguy roo thats something to see.:rolleyes:

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Holy roo. I just hopped into a meeting in town and have jumped back to these magnificent responses. This has absolutely blown me away as I thought I would have got totally the opposite response.

OK, so now I have established there is a market for kangaroo meat are there people out there who would be willing to buy it from a farm where high ethical and environmental standards are practised? A farm where you knew Skippy came from or thereabouts as he could have been next door.

Basically what I am saying is is it important to you as the consumer where you know the product has come from or do you just shop purely on price?

Would love to know your responses to this as this is part two of the business plan. Cheers, Charlie.

hi charlie
answer is no
reason
if I buy my leg of lamb does it come with a road map of where the sheep has been for the last 3 days
no it comes with a sticker saying 19.00 per kg
I try to see where its come from and does it even say killed in australia
the ones that say aussie beef I think
is it a us or south american beef but it says aust so I will buy it
I buy roo meat because It looks good as I buy fish lamb or chicken
if it said hallal or kosha would not bother me as long as it look what I think it should look like IE fresh.
the big sellers coles and wooli's will beat you down on price anyway
and will want to repack it anyway I would think
I hop you well in you business
and if you set it up and you need fodder for a feed lot let me know
I know a very good price on feed lot fodder
feed lot farming is a big market
not sure about feedlot roo

Rob bought a small roast a while back.He cooked and ate it all.He likes it and thinks it is great.
Not sure what it was a kg..but it was on sale :)

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Holy roo. I just hopped into a meeting in town and have jumped back to these magnificent responses. This has absolutely blown me away as I thought I would have got totally the opposite response.

OK, so now I have established there is a market for kangaroo meat are there people out there who would be willing to buy it from a farm where high ethical and environmental standards are practised? A farm where you knew Skippy came from or thereabouts as he could have been next door.

Basically what I am saying is is it important to you as the consumer where you know the product has come from or do you just shop purely on price?

Would love to know your responses to this as this is part two of the business plan. Cheers, Charlie.

I'm also surprised how many eat roo but not my cup of tea.
Charlie, check the net, there's a few guys selling roo meat online but don't seem to be pushing the standards you propose. Here's a few:

gamemeats.com.au
So please be assured Yarra Valley Game Meats supplies Kangaroo meat that complies with handling and hygiene regulations set by federal government. Kangaroo wild harvesting is government controlled with all kangaroo meat for human consumption harvested from primary producing properties in some areas of South Australia, New South Wales and Queensland. No Kangaroos are harvested from Victoria for human consumption.

macromeats-gourmetgame.com.au
All our kangaroo meat is 100% natural. Completely free from antibiotics, chemicals, growth hormones or any artificial intervention making it the ultimate free range meat! Consumers can be assured it is a safe meat to eat, processed to comply with strict Australian and Export standards. We produce a range of fresh cuts, such as premium 98% fat free kangaroo steaks and fillets, as well as a variety of marinated meats which are ready for the BBQ.

osgrow.com
Kangaroos (macropods) are indigenous to Australia with 4 out of the 48 species being harvested on a commercial basis. To protect and control their numbers the population is monitored by Australian government conservation agencies, who issue annual quotas for harvesting as part of their Government Kangaroo Management Program. This is an excellent example of how the partnership between conservation and exotic meat production works, as Kangaroo numbers are now greater than ever before. This is a direct result of the improvements made in food and water supplies. Kangaroos are only harvested from primary producing regions, with no animals being harvested from National Parks or Conservation areas. All our Kangaroo meat is sourced from establishments which have an Australian Standard approved Quality Assurance System, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point program in place and are regularly audited by Government approved Inspectors.

marxfoods.com
Here you will find exotic meats, game meats, and the best burgers and sausages. We offer a wide variety of ultra high-quality meat cuts & steaks, many from free-range, all natural meat. We have grass-fed beef in bulk, as well as free range veal, Kobe beef, Kurobuta pork, lamb from New Zealand, and grain-fed veal. In addition to these, we also have exotic game meats such as wild boar meat, bison meat, venison meat, and ostrich meat that are very lean and flavorful. For those looking to try truly unusual proteins, we offer alligator meat, kangaroo meat, turtle meat, and frog legs.

images

grossreal, thanks for that great reply. I'm the sort of bloke that hates being told "you can't do that" so am always looking for ways to do new things - eg feed lotting roos. I'll keep you in mind for your fodder.

shuggy that was an awesome post. Thanks very much for all that info. I knew about macro-meats but none of the others.

If people on here love their roo meat so much I would love to provide it to them. I'm thinking I would sell direct to cut the middlemen and the middlemen of the middlemen out. Would probably do a run once a month to start off with to places like Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or wherever I could sell 1000kg at a time.

I will run into massive red tape problems but I believe I would be able to get around this as we farm in a very environmentally and ethically high standard already and have a track record of this.

We have a lot of Kangaroos on our farm and they are breeding like mad. Back when my dad was a kid he said they hardly ever saw Kangaroos but when they started opening up watering points and improving the pastures their numbers have increased ever since.

Yeah my gf recently put me onto it in the form of kanger bangers, the sausages.

I was a bit weird at first, but it actually tastes fine and I'm used to it now. She made these great kangaroo sausage rolls out of it. Quite delicious!

Nowhere near as all the weird crap I ate while living in Japan (craw crab guts, raw prawns, raw horse flesh, raw horse mane, horse main aorta (seriously), jelly fish, an entire raw cod fish's liver and raw chicken sashimi!!!).

I would be happy to pay a premium price to be assured the animals lived well and were treated humanely when it came time for slaughter.

Whether that can be said for the majority of the consuming public though I don't know and would doubt. That's not to say there wouldn't be a profitable niche there for you. Look up Whole Foods in the US Charlie, they're currently implementing a 5 star meat rating system for their customers. Down the track they'll detail how the process is going in their stores.

Also bare in mind you started the thread (I believe) with the idea of undercutting market prices substantially, but now you're talking about ethical treatment etc. Would you still be able to do this at such a low price when it would involve operating to whatever organic and humane standards are in place in Australia, including costs of regular inspections etc. It's not just a case of 'trust me' unless you're only talking about selling to your neighbours and friends.

Don't know the industry, but from what I've read in the past (not on Kangaroo specifically) your business plan would have to focus on one or the other - low price, or higher price with all the niceties. Chances are the big boys of the industry will have the lower price market covered, so perhaps focusing on the premium market would be a better option.

Something to think about anyway.

I buy on availability (is it in the shop?) , and the cut and look of the meat, and whether I feel like a bit of roo............. I don't even look at the price, and I doubt I would look at where it came from.

I would be happy to pay a premium price to be assured the animals lived well and were treated humanely when it came time for slaughter.

Whether that can be said for the majority of the consuming public though I don't know and would doubt. That's not to say there wouldn't be a profitable niche there for you. Look up Whole Foods in the US Charlie, they're currently implementing a 5 star meat rating system for their customers. Down the track they'll detail how the process is going in their stores.

Also bare in mind you started the thread (I believe) with the idea of undercutting market prices substantially, but now you're talking about ethical treatment etc. Would you still be able to do this at such a low price when it would involve operating to whatever organic and humane standards are in place in Australia, including costs of regular inspections etc. It's not just a case of 'trust me' unless you're only talking about selling to your neighbours and friends.

Don't know the industry, but from what I've read in the past (not on Kangaroo specifically) your business plan would have to focus on one or the other - low price, or higher price with all the niceties. Chances are the big boys of the industry will have the lower price market covered, so perhaps focusing on the premium market would be a better option.

Something to think about anyway.

Steve, thanks also for this post. You are pretty spot on. I like win/win situations when can so if I'm making a fair go of it from this end then I would prefer to pass the savings onto the customer but if business grew so rapidly the niche thing would be the way to go. Thanks for your feed back.

Would do and have done - nothing wrong with it. As to price it needs to be cheaper than other commercial meats to attract me to buy it simply because I prefer beef and thus if it's in the same price range the beef will win.

I had "Kanga Banga's" tonight for dinner. Delicious..... I've had Kangaroo steaks before, but this was the first time I have had Kangaroo sausages.

We used to eat it all the time when Coles first started to sell it. I think it's doubled in price since then so we don't eat it now. At the time it was a very cheap way to eat red meat. Now I'd rather buy beef if it costs the same.

Back