Kangaroo Meat. Would You Eat It??

After checking out shuggy's links in more detail and taking into consideration steves post I am thinking more down the niche marketing track now.

I still reckon I could get it to customers for half the price supermarkets are charging if they are charging the same as beef.

Got to work on the red tape now. This is probably what will blow my costs out. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I wouldn't eat it. Like Thorpie said, I've seen those worms in the meat and it's put me off it forever more. Plus I've been out with roo shooters and see how it's done. It's all a bit rough.

I will run into massive red tape problems but I believe I would be able to get around this as we farm in a very environmentally and ethically high standard already and have a track record of this.

We have a lot of Kangaroos on our farm and they are breeding like mad. Back when my dad was a kid he said they hardly ever saw Kangaroos but when they started opening up watering points and improving the pastures their numbers have increased ever since.

G'day Charlie. I find a few of your ideas a bit conflicting. On the other 'future of food' thread you mentioned that you thought it was great that roos will go where they want. So I'm assuming you have no intention of building 8 foot high fences? So the roos you will be harvesting will be roaming all over the district. They will be nice and fat from eating all the crops and improved pastures locked up for cattle and sheep on your neighbours farms. That's fine, as that's what happens now, however how do you maintain an organic and so called environmentally friendly product when you and me know full well that the roos will be eating crops and pastures that have just been sprayed with chemicals and fertillized with oil based fertilizer, where as the sheep and cattle who are being farmed conventionally are able to be locked out of paddocks for the required and essential quaranteen period?

Also, if your running free range roos, won't you just have to shoot the roos at night like any other roo shooter? Not really a clean abattoir situation.

Worming, drenching? Impossible I suppose but then roos aren't done now, but I suppose that's why they get worms in the meat.

I was going to say your neigbours might not be real fond of you for breeding up roos when everyone else goes to a lot of trouble to cull them, however as you will be harvesting them I don't spose it will matter much. You will need to have roos to keep coming onto your property, however if your running a low input opperation with unfertilized native grasses and such, the roos might much rather stay next door on the much richer crops and pastures? Just like they do already? As soon as it stops raining there is no roos on the dry native grasses, they are all into the good stuff, crops and pastures, or out on the untouched roadsides getting mowed over by cars and trucks..

Just some thoughts

See ya's.

I wouldn't eat it. Like Thorpie said, I've seen those worms in the meat and it's put me off it forever more. Plus I've been out with roo shooters and see how it's done. It's all a bit rough.

G'day Charlie. I find a few of your ideas a bit conflicting. On the other 'future of food' thread you mentioned that you thought it was great that roos will go where they want. So I'm assuming you have no intention of building 8 foot high fences? So the roos you will be harvesting will be roaming all over the district. They will be nice and fat from eating all the crops and improved pastures locked up for cattle and sheep on your neighbours farms. That's fine, as that's what happens now, however how do you maintain an organic and so called environmentally friendly product when you and me know full well that the roos will be eating crops and pastures that have just been sprayed with chemicals and fertillized with oil based fertilizer, where as the sheep and cattle who are being farmed conventionally are able to be locked out of paddocks for the required and essential quaranteen period?

Also, if your running free range roos, won't you just have to shoot the roos at night like any other roo shooter? Not really a clean abattoir situation.

Worming, drenching? Impossible I suppose but then roos aren't done now, but I suppose that's why they get worms in the meat.

I was going to say your neigbours might not be real fond of you for breeding up roos when everyone else goes to a lot of trouble to cull them, however as you will be harvesting them I don't spose it will matter much. You will need to have roos to keep coming onto your property, however if your running a low input opperation with unfertilized native grasses and such, the roos might much rather stay next door on the much richer crops and pastures? Just like they do already? As soon as it stops raining there is no roos on the dry native grasses, they are all into the good stuff, crops and pastures, or out on the untouched roadsides getting mowed over by cars and trucks..

Just some thoughts

See ya's.

Topcropper, totally agree with all the stuff you said (except the worms in the meat, I have personally never seen this and I have killed a lot of roos, not saying it does not occur though) and this would be the case in a normal situation. However I am the sort of bloke that thinks way out of the square. We are in a unique situation where our farm is as far as location so we are 3/4 the way there on knowing where the roos would come from.

Definately wouldn't be able to call them organic roos for the reasons you said and I find it interesting when people say they would be organic because you just would not know except for the ones harvested way out west.

There are a lot of issues I would have to work through but I'm sure I could work it out and provide an awesome product. Posts like yours are good because they bring up points that I might not have thought about. This is why I love this forum. You learn from the positive and the negative.

We bought some of the roo sausages but we weren't particularly fussed on them.
Unless you have a targeted gourmet market in mind I doubt a roo feedlot would be viable but what about the pet food market?

One of my dogs has become allergic to beef and wheat. Yeah huge problem and apparently there are a lot of dogs suffer from it especially later in life. Makes their eyes itchy and creates awful ear problems.

Anyway we got some Natures Gift roo and rice in a can from the supermarket for this dog and it flipping smells divine. She loves it and no more itchy eyes. Still having the ears treated but hoping that comes good too.

Now mass production for the pet market, and using low allergy food as a selling point, might be the ticket to success. Btw it was cheaper than the other foods too.

We used to eat it all the time when Coles first started to sell it. I think it's doubled in price since then so we don't eat it now. At the time it was a very cheap way to eat red meat. Now I'd rather buy beef if it costs the same.

Agree. The prices have gone up a long way, quickly.

I have seen the worms that you speak about,it was during the drought when kangaroos ate anything and also when cattle ate kangaroo carcasses :eek:,

I believe the roos can be wormed ,same as in the old days when water was controlled and fenced.
The same principle as wild cattle when they are trapped.

The water source is fenced and the kangaroos thirsty,water is then provided with a worming solution in it.

Trouble with kangaroos is they don't like to be fenced,and hurt themselves trying to get out.You would have to kill the same as human consumption is done now,in the paddock.wouldn't be much different to the other people providing roo meat.

I personally wouldn't like to farm kangaroos and I know a lot about them.

used to have it in soups when the old man was shooting

didn't like it then wouldn't buy it now either,plenty of roos near us just not allowed to shoot in residential unfortunetly anyway weren't they classed as vermon.....:p

question for me
is would you buy roo meat as a normal meat to eat
so if you had hungry jack or macer"s with roo meat would you buy from there
also
any names
roo are here etc
maybe subway will sell it if its farmed

Incidently there was a couple of research papers on kangaroo farming costs, one I had saved, but must of been on a previous computer, not able to find it, thought it was something relating to landline? It was interesting. Ratting around looking for that brought up another good read:

Market Place Demand for Kangaroo Meat Consumption in Western Australia: A Sustainability Issue by Lynda Braddick 2001 updated 2002

I usually have a crack at summarising, but it's lengthy, diverse, (I thought) really interesting, and I couldn't be bothered...:p but here is a bit from the summary:

The market is gradually increasing however, and this includes the export market. The added value of meat for human consumption over pet food is providing a significant opportunity for the kangaroo industry to further increase the value of kangaroo exports for Australia. However, an Australian perception of kangaroo meatas low-priced meat in relation to beef and sheep remains a major hurdle for increased use within Australia. Until both economy and premium cuts of kangaroo are offered for sale along side other red meats, and affordable value added kangaroo meat products compete with similar meat products, the potential for kangaroo meat use will not be met within Australia or overseas. ‘Commercial operators believe that Australia has to focus on improving the level of domestic consumption of kangaroo game meat before significant export game meat activity will occur’ (Macarthur 1996, Pg 18)

...and I think this is the older 'Grigg report' she refers to:

Grigg Report

Hi TC

This doesn't exactly have the ring of truth to it given the usual hygiene standards of our Health departments across the spectrum of everything we eat. From: http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-use/wild-harvest/kangaroo/harvesting/roobg-07.html

It is often claimed that kangaroo meat is a particular risk for toxoplasmosis and salmonellosis. Certainly, like other meat, kangaroo can become infected with Salmonella, but it is not more prone than other meats, and the usual hygiene standards and practices are required. As far as Toxoplasma is concerned, if kangaroo meat, or other red meat is contaminated with cat faeces, it can transmit toxoplasmosis. Hygienic handling prevents this occurring. Because the preferred way to eat kangaroo meat is rare rather than well cooked, contaminated meat would be less likely to be neutralised. However, although there has been a fuss raised from time-to-time, there is no known case of toxoplasmosis being transmitted by eating kangaroo.

Andrew (1988) reviewed the issue of kangaroo meat and public health, including the records of inspections between 1980 and 1987 made of carcasses by Australian Quarantine Inspection Service officers at export game meat establishments (this pre-dated the change of legislation in New South Wales in 1993). There were records for 204,052 red, eastern and western grey carcasses of which 196,104 were passed as fit for human consumption. Of the 7,948 rejected, 81% were rejected for reasons not associated with parasites or pathology, mainly poor handling, particularly inadequate refrigeration. Of the rest, only 1,452 were rejected because of a parasite, and that was for a nematode, Pelicitus roemeri, which is quite harmless, anyway, to humans, but is unsightly.... it is uncommon, but can infect the muscles of the lower leg.

Andrews' conclusion was '.... that provided harvesting, transportation, refrigeration, inspection and distribution are carried out in accordance with established criteria, kangaroo presents little or no danger to human health when compared to other forms of meat and that there are no public reasons why it could not be considered as a viable alternate to meat from domestic animals'.

I can appreciate your reluctance to consume roo meat as a result of what you have witnessed. But keep in mind those flyblown, worm infected and cancerous sheep you have also witnessed - I assume you haven't been put off from eating lamb as a result? Or put off wheat by seeing that mouldy rubbish quality wheat harvest that was perhaps marginally valuable for feeding livestock?

In all cases we rely on our processing industries to sort the good stuff from the rubbish. In the case of kangaroo, there is a lot less to be worried about in the first place in terms of risk to humans compared to the ruminants. Perhaps this compensates somewhat for the "on paddock" harvesting methods? Lots of people have been eating roo meat for a long time now with no ill effects...

As for the idea of feedlotting roos, the nutritional and flavour benefits of the meat are largely attributed to their free range sourcing and their (natural) use of green feed. I remain to be convinced the quality of the meat would be improved by a feedlot.

Kangaroo Meat. Would You Eat It??

Not if you paid me! Only "standard" meats for me which I was brought up on; cow, pig, sheep, chicken and fish. That's it. The idea of eating cute little skippy... noooooo thankyou. I don't even like seeing dead kangaroos on the side of the road, let alone eat one.

Not if you paid me! Only "standard" meats for me which I was brought up on; cow, pig, sheep, chicken and fish. That's it. The idea of eating cute little skippy... noooooo thankyou. I don't even like seeing dead kangaroos on the side of the road, let alone eat one.

This is the sort of response I thought I would get so have been absolutely amazed at the responses coming in. I have not even eaten kangaroo meat myself and am like Biggles, just like the standard meats.

Thanks everyone for the input so far.

It's interesting huh, who we are, where we come from how we regard 'stuff'.

We had cattle, sheep, pet chooks, 'aised orphaned kangaroos' rabbits, but also ate the lot. Just 'such is life' thing...the only stuff I choose rather not to eat now, is kangeroo and rabbit, I'm all done with it. Nor fancy emu. Yet love abalone, crayfish, yabbies and fish..

I love animals very much, but my job as a kid was to chop the chooks and ducks heads off and pluck'em...isolated rural life, and it is still practiced, many around here have and grow their own steaks, chops, chooks, ducks, all game really..the kids that come to stay from city world are amazed, very, very different worlds..

Kangaroos ok, they sell it at the pub near work and its quite nice. My brother in law used to have a emu farm and emu was ok to eat as well.

Back