Kangaroo Meat. Would You Eat It??

I like it, but to buy it regular, it would need to be cheaper than the cheap steak cuts...

Biggest concern with roo's is where they come from. Sure farmers will claim they are bred by them...but are they really? The problem with that, is ones that are not farmed will have parasites etc in them...

It will be the same as every farming option though, wollies will screw over the farmer, give them 20c/kg then sell it to the consumer at $25/kg, and claim they don't make enough profit, so they give the farmer 10c/kg and put the price to the consumer at $28/kg.

Or they'll do what they are with milk right now, which is discount on the shelf, pass the loss to the dairy farmer, so they go out of business, then import from elsewhere.

My uncle was a dairy farmer, driven out of the business by woolies. He is now doing beef, only survives cause his wife works a normal job as well. Beef is going down for farmers as well, won't be long till he closes that up too.

I can appreciate your reluctance to consume roo meat as a result of what you have witnessed. But keep in mind those flyblown, worm infected and cancerous sheep you have also witnessed - I assume you haven't been put off from eating lamb as a result? .

The poor quality and old sheep would get put into pet food. Woolworths or Coles or any decent butcher wouldn't risk their reputation by selling crap as lamb.

As for the idea of feedlotting roos, the nutritional and flavour benefits of the meat are largely attributed to their free range sourcing and their (natural) use of green feed. I remain to be convinced the quality of the meat would be improved by a feedlot.

I am still not convinced that roos will have a respectable feed to meat conversion ratio. No one knows yet what they are capable of as it's an unfair comparason with sheep and cattle. The sheep and cattle are locked up in paddocks. The roos graze wherever they want and always have the prime feed available to them. Roos are eating the crops, irrigated crops,locked up pastures and whatever they want, but the sheep and cattle can't jump the fence. I'd think ruminant animals that have been selectively bred for ten thousand years by humans would have to be more productive. But at least if roo meat takes off it's providing a market for the millions of animals per year that currently get culled and left in the paddock to rot.

See ya's.

I do eat Kangaroo meat, but I much prefer Emu. I just wish it was more readily available so that the price would come down... Emu steaks are simply fab!

My wife's uncle is a butcher who used to make a kangaroo mettwurst which was apparently very well regarded. I don't think I ever got to try it.

We once dined at a restaurant in Canberra which served a dish called the "coat of arms", it came with kangaroo steak on one side of the plate and emu on the other with a variety of native sauces/chutneys and such. It was delicious - but I seem to remember liking the emu more.

My wife's uncle is a butcher who used to make a kangaroo mettwurst which was apparently very well regarded. I don't think I ever got to try it.

We once dined at a restaurant in Canberra which served a dish called the "coat of arms", it came with kangaroo steak on one side of the plate and emu on the other with a variety of native sauces/chutneys and such. It was delicious - but I seem to remember liking the emu more.

I know lots of people who agree with you Sim :D

I've done "coat of arms" on the BBQ the last few Australia Day's with between 25-40 people each year. The overall consensus is always, "the Emu is better"... by about 90% of people.

Actually, people are very surprised to find out it is Emu if they haven't been told prior :D

Back