Laser Eye Surgery

What have you got to lose from trying some exercises missgreeneyes?

The idea has its detractors but can you name ANY muscle in the body that doesn't benefit from a regular, dedicated exercise program? And the ability of your eyes to focus is controlled by muscles, right?

Of course there are many other factors affecting your ability to focus but you aren't going to hurt your eyes by exercising them unless you do something stupid! Type "eye exercises" into google and see what you think

really simple to be honest

bring one finger as close as possible to your face where you can still see your fingerprint clearly. Position one finger on other hand at arms length (hopefully one hand is definately closer than other ;) )

Bring your fingerprint into clear focus and hold for a few seconds, then bring the further finger into clear focus and hold for a few seconds, then focus on a point several meters away for a few seconds. Repeat... a LOT! Make sure you completely focus on the set distance each time.

Do the same thing with your head turned to the side slightly so you are looking sideways to do the same. Then do it with you head down so u r looking up, then head up so u r looking down.

These focusing exercises are like push-ups for your eyes and you will really feel it. The more you do the closer you will be able to bring your finger and keep the print in focus (after some practice of course). My closest focus point is now nearly 2 inches closer than it was a some months ago.

Make circle patterns with your eyes (open or closed doesn't matter) clockwise and anti-clockwise. This is just muscle exercise. Same with looking hard left and then hard right. Hard up and hard down

Close your eyes and look toward a very bright light or even the sun (careful of course). Then cover your eyes completely so that it is very dark. Pupil exercises as they dilate and ... un-dilate?

Open you eyes really wide and then close them as tight as you can.

Repeat all of the above

Works for me anyway :p

Thanks for taking the time, For some reason I Just can't handle the thought of eye operation. So I'll give it ago.

Regards

What have you got to lose from trying some exercises missgreeneyes?

Doesn't hurt to try eye exercises - but - poor vision due to poor muscles is generally the cause of deteriorating eyesight as we age, rather than affecting the young.

When doing computer work - it is very important to take your eyes off the screen every 5 minutes and focus on something in the distance ... might seem overly often, but it only takes a few seconds and yours eyes will love you for it.

The main cause of poor eyesight in the young (those generally needing glasses from school age) is the shape of the cornea, which no amount of exercise will fix. The re-shaping contacts do work for short periods but are not for everyone.

All depends on when, and the cause of, the poor eyesight.

I was reading stuff when I was young advocating eye exercises to correct eyesight deficiencies. That was sixties- and what I was reading was already old. If it's been around for that long, if it really worked there would be some real evidence of it by now.

I was reading stuff when I was young advocating eye exercises to correct eyesight deficiencies. That was sixties- and what I was reading was already old. If it's been around for that long, if it really worked there would be some real evidence of it by now.

It reminds me of those people who said that you should eat lots of carrots because it is good for your eyes. My mother had a patient come in last time all orange because he took that advice a little too far. lol.

After starting this thread 18months ago, I have finally done it.

I made the decision to do it about a year ago but getting the logistics sorted has taken time.

I had the surgery yesterday and my follow up appointment today. The doctor says that my eyesight is already at 120% of 20/20 (I don't know how that works?) and I should gain some clarity moving forward.

The operation itself is quick and painless (though not without discomfort). yesterday was a quiet day which you would expect but today I feel fine.

Looking forward to a life without glasses.

Blacky

That's great! My vision improved by 4 points after I had my last baby. Quite strange! My eyesight is still OK. Last check up I was told I'd never be able to have laser treatment so you are lucky you can.

Great news - I had mine done 16 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. Still no need for glasses, for anything, despite many of my similar aged associates going down that path.

Life is so much easier

120% of 20/20 (I don't know how that works?) and I should gain some clarity moving forward.

I think 20/20 is being able to make out a certain size text at a specific distance. I guess you should be able to make out that size text at an even farther distance.

I think 20/20 is being able to make out a certain size text at a specific distance. I guess you should be able to make out that size text at an even farther distance.

20/20 = what the average person can see at 20ft / what you can see at 20ft.

So while people say '20/20' is 'perfect vision', it's really only that you are 'perfectly average' (which is good), so it's not too difficult to be better than average.

In Australia it really should be 6/6 (6 meters).

i had the procedure about 6 months ago at a clinic in north sydney. Best decision ever made - should have done it sooner. Was quick and painless however slightly uncomfortable. The complimentary Valiums on arrival helped take the edge off :)

Anyone who is considering having this done, I strongly recommend you checkout Monovision (having your dominant eye corrected to 0, and your non-dominant eye either left at -1.0 or -2.0 or corrected to this if worse).

Getting both eyes lasered will not prevent Presbyopia as the eyes age (loss of near vision).

If your aim is to live as long as possible without the need for any glasses at all (distance or near vision), monovision will give you that (at a cost of only having 95% of your potential best distance vision).

Consider how many years you are from now until 45 (when most people need reading glasses), then 45 until the expected age limit. Also consider the number of near vision tasks you do - eating, checking your phone, reading a PC screen, etc.

Not to mention it's half price for many, which is why many places won't tell you about it :)

After starting this thread 18months ago, I have finally done it.

I made the decision to do it about a year ago but getting the logistics sorted has taken time.

I had the surgery yesterday and my follow up appointment today. The doctor says that my eyesight is already at 120% of 20/20 (I don't know how that works?) and I should gain some clarity moving forward.

The operation itself is quick and painless (though not without discomfort). yesterday was a quiet day which you would expect but today I feel fine.

Looking forward to a life without glasses.

Blacky

What sort of eye surgery did you end up having? Was it Lasik? But congratulations for having the courage to go ahead and do it.

I was in a simalar position but the astigmatism was too great for laser surgery so I opted for a Refractive Lensectomy which basically entailed having a tiny incision on my eye then they go in with a probe like device to somehow break up the lens and suck the fragments out then insert synthetic lenses into my eyes.

It was basically the same procedure that is used for cataracts.

I still use 2.50 readers for close up work but by far the best thing I have ever done. I was 44 at the time and wore glasses since I was 10.

Dr Phillip McGeorge is a genius in my eyes.

Me to Wa novice, I elected for mono vision. Surgery done in 2008. Very happy with the results. Life without contacts/glasses is amazing still. Swimming at the beach and being able to find your towel where you left it, Waking up and seeing properly is something I had not done since 5th grade.

I used to wear coke bottle like lenses and stopped wearing glasses at 17, turned to contacts. Surgery easily the best thing I did for me!

What sort of eye surgery did you end up having? Was it Lasik? But congratulations for having the courage to go ahead and do it.

Yes - I had Lasik.
I had only fairly mild short sightedness (about -2.25) but also a bad astigmatism. It meant I needed either glasses or contacts since I was about 15.

I lead a very active lifestyle, and I always found glasses to be a pain.

The procedure itself is incredibly quick, and I have been surprised by the recovery time. After the operation I went home and had a sleep. My eyes felt like I had been in a pool all day and had a pair of dry contact lenses in (a but scratchy). Not sore but some stinging and discomfort. But by the evening my eyes were clear and comfortable.
Yesterday I was out and about with only the odd time feeling a bit dry. I haven't been sensitive to light at all really.

So far so good. Its great being able to see clearly.

Blacky

Back