Mad Australian Police fined me for driving on right hand lane of freeway

I dont ...............I learnt

Drive on an Autobahn in the fast lane at 130 and see what happens :)

ta
rolf

Me too.....driving in Germany is a great way to learn to not drive in the fast lane.
One second you look in the rear view mirror and there's noone there. Next second a car is flashing its lights at you going 250km

When I drive there, I don't feel safe until I'm driving over 150.... anything under that just feels like you're parked on the road. But interestingly, I've only seen 3 examples of road rage there, over several months of driving, and 2 were with cars with foreign number plates.. the other a taxi. You could see 3 examples a morning in Sydney!

Pen

i think Rodimos used those labels at the policeman that he's angry at and who isn't reading this

I am aware he was referring to the policeman. I find the term in the way he used it offensive both as a person who is of German heritage (including family involved in the war) and as a person who has great respect for police officers both in family and friends. My point was he was complaining of people calling him names while throwing around the 'Nazi' term like it's going out of fashion, and completely uncalled for in the situation at hand.

As someone who had family who were imprisoned by the Nazis in WW2, I find Rodimus' flippant, repeated use of the term to describe a person who was just doing their job to be extremely 'discourteous' to the survivors and the millions of people who lost their lives back then.

Kudos.

I'm feeling like a legend today, with four kudos in half-an-hour this morning! (And a fifth a couple of hours later - all for this most recent post.)
Up to 10 now. :eek: Thanks, guys, that's definitely my "most kudosed post". :cool:

Pity rodimus hasn't been back... I wonder if he/she will hear what I had to say, or whether defensiveness will rule the day... :confused:

Up to 10 now. :eek: Thanks, guys, that's definitely my "most kudosed post". :cool:

Pity rodimus hasn't been back... I wonder if he/she will hear what I had to say, or whether defensiveness will rule the day... :confused:

look at all your green dots now!!! You go girl!!;)

Boods

1) Oh you dont have to be sorry, and IT IS NOT AS PLAIN AND SIMPLE AS YOU THINK. Keep left, for how long can you be on the right lane SPECIFICALLY. How can you be so sure I'm not intending to overtake the next car in front of me in the middle lane????? He may be quite far, but he's slow, and I intend to overtake him??

Specifically,it states, UNLESS OVERTAKING, easy you were not overtaking.

2) Also, when the police was driving on the right lane to catch up with me, Isn't he driving on the right lane too and he's NOT OVERTAKING ANYONE???? OFFENCE!

NO, as he was trying to catch you, so he is covered.

3) I was driving at 100 kmh at a 100kmh zone, if I must keep left to allow others to cross on the right, and there is nobody behind me for 500m, DOESN'T THAT MEAN FOR YOU TO COME UP BEHIND ME MEANS YOU ARE SPEEDING OVER LIMIT, which is an OFFENCE?

I thought you said you were going 95-100, but any way yes it would be an offence FOR THEM, but that does not make your situation right either

Use your brain please.

Cheers,

Peter

rodimus: I think you are absolutely right, you should challenge the fine and take it all the way to court. You'll have to do all in your time and money to ensure you fight this to the very end and prove to that police office that you are right!

That's not so hard to understand.

When you're not overtaking, go back to the left lane.

I wish this rule was enforced a bit more often.

People have been so used to bad driving habits that they seem to think they have a right to drive like that. :eek:

What's going on?

Have the police force turn to Nazi troops?

No. Just performing part of his duties.

I was stopped the other day on the freeway by the stupid police, and he said I was driving on the right hand side of the freeway (there were 3 lanes). I said yes, I just overtook some bunch of cars back there. THen he said, ya it's an offence to drive on right hand side if you're not overtaking. But I said there is nobody behind me for 1km, I was not obstructing anyone. If I were obstructing someone I would certainly give way.
He said driving on right hand side is discourteous. I asked him, who was I being discourteous to when there was no cars around or behind me?

How far where you driving in the right lane and why didn't you move across to the centre or left lane?

THen he said "look, if you were to teach someone how to drive, do you teach them to drive on the right hand side unless they're overtaking?". I said no of course not if they're just learning to drive they would be driving too freaking slow and wouldn't have the courage to drive on right hand lane anyway, furthermore I am not a learner here am I? Do you see a L plate somewhere on my car? Nope.

Here you get asimple explanation but feel the need to challenge it. Not sure why?

He just slammed my door and walked off leaving me with a $170 fine and 2 demerit point.

Ok, I checked Vicroads and it did say to drive on left hand side, unless overtaking. So what, this is a guide that needs to be taken in context depending on the situation. Maybe I intended to overtake the next bunch of cars in front?

As there was nothing behind you for 1 klm and nothing in front of you then why didn't you move over?

Plus, Vicroad new rule also says nobody is allowed to stop on a freeway unless it is an emergency, and must stop on the emergency lane. So if your mobile phone rings, you cannot stop at the emergency lane to call? (since it is not an emergency?) I wonder who is the person sitting there each day trying to come up with new stupid rules each year to add to their books, rules that would earn them big bucks in fines.

Emergency lanes are for emergency and answering phone is not an emergency. Don't you think there is plenty of time later to check your phone when you are off the expressway?

What kind of communist society do we live in? Why are mentally challenged policemen so picky and have to give me a fine that is so picky? Are we living in a Nazi regime? Are they demented?
Do they have some fine quota they have to meet to keep their job?

No quota but there is a reasonable amount of tickets that can be issued per day, per area. Definitely not demented. why do you think he is mentally challenge when you were the one not able to understand the rules he enforced. You need to decide whether communist or Nazi and neither apply in this situation.

He should be focusing his time in catching murderers and gangsters instead of cruising around in his stupid motorbike trying to fine people for driving on the right hand side of the freeway!

Are these murderers and gangsters all walking around? You might want to check the amount of criminals with warrants etc that have been caught through routine traffic stops. It is higher than any other form of policing.

Can fully understand that you THINK it isn't fair and that police resources could be better served elsewhere BUT reading this is like a typical post on any of the car forums. It is amazing how some feel they have been persecuted and the police would be better off chasing serious criminals. Those that drive high powered cars seem to complain about 4WD owners and 4WD owner seem to not under why the police aren't concentrating on high powered sports cars. Each group feels the other is more in the wrong than them and police should concentrate on the other group.

What I do find interesting and I might be misunderstanding the situation BUT you don't appear to be aware of of what is happening around you if he was able to come up from where ever and issue you with a fine. If he was coming up from behind and you noticed him then why didn't you move out of the right lane? Do you know where he came from? Was he parked on the side of the road or did he come from the traffic that was 1 klm behind you thus giving you plenty of time to be aware a vehicle was coming and move over?

From his point of view and how he may describe the situation:

Out on the expressway following some guy who thinks he owns the road and can travel in the right lane for as long as he likes. Even gave him the chance to move over when trying to catch up to him from the cars he overtook but no this knucklehead is totally oblivious to his surroundings and just keeps motoring along in the right lane. Must need an eyesight test if he couldn't see me coming up from behind. Then after explaining why he received a ticket he wants to debate the situation. He will probably go home tonight and complain to the world about how unjust and persecuted he was from some Communist Nazi who should have better things to do that book him for breaking a law that he doesn't appear to have a grasp on.

as someone who has previously worked in Law Enforcement I do take the term Nazi as offensive - both for the people who suffered under the policies of Nazism and for those who work damn hard each day getting sworn at, spat on, punched, kicked and shot at by people who feel hard done by when caught doing the wrong thing. Suck it up Rodimus, you were in the wrong and got caught.

oh and to be a pedant, I think the term more suited to your argument is fascist, not communist.

There was a campaign run in Canberra on daytime radio (breakfast - after evening peak hour) in conjunction with the police on getting people to stay left. It seemed to work (not a huge difference but noticable) but then they stopped and it went back to the way it was.

People staying in the incorrect (right lane in Aus, Left lane OS) is one of the key causes of traffic jams/congested traffic flow (and I've done traffic modelling and seen/worked on system design).

You were in the wrong. Suck it up. Take some responsibility for your actions rather than seeking to blame someone else for your wrong doing.

People staying in the incorrect (right lane in Aus, Left lane OS) is one of the key causes of traffic jams/congested traffic flow (and I've done traffic modelling and seen/worked on system design).

The end effect Is worse than that I believe

Here on the M1 where its 4 lanes we often have Larry Curly and Moe in the 3 right lanes and the "slow" lane is empty.

Larry is doing 110 k indicated on his speedo looking to overtake Curly who is doing 109 indicated who is trying to get past Moe.

Curly is on cruise control but Moe isnt.AS so often happens Moe speeds up that tiny little bit to keep pace with Curly, because by nature we are a competive lot

Instead of focussing on driving to the conditions, all are concerned about their speed, and all the while keeping one eye on the speedo, one eye for the speed cameras, one ear on a mobile hands free, the other ear has the attention of the nagging 4 year old.

All the while their speedos are slow by 8 %.....................

Meanwhile there is a B Double sliding down the inside lane doing the actual speed limit

U can see the potential for a mess here, only takes a little bit of inattention and not being aware where ur blind spots.

Bit of an exaggeration but sometimes it does feel this way.

In qld there appears to be a distinct lack of knowledge of the keep left rule, so its not even an enforcement thing per se.

ta
rolf

Back