Mad Australian Police fined me for driving on right hand lane of freeway

How is any of the above name calling? It is blunt, yes. I am blunt, and I make no apologies for that.

My mentality towards this is that you were in the WRONG and you need to deal with it somehow. People just can't be told that they are wrong any more, can they? Your quiet little btch and moan on this forum has probably not had the response that you imagined!

With the law, there is black and white and the grey bits get dealt with in court. If you think you have a case (where we all think you don't or you might have been a bit unlucky), then by all means clog the court systems up.

You can be uncivilised and blunt towards me and that's why I'm blunt towards you in return, happy ? Look I know I got a fine. I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME "Oh you got fined, just accept it and deal with it". Like I said, If you got nothing of assistance for me to challenge this, then I don't need to hear you coming in telling me the obvious and calling me names.

Lots of people telling me the cop must be having a slow day and extremely petty to book me for that matter, and telling me I can probably write a letter to challenge it. I guess you don't like people like us who fight to the end to solve a problem?

Indeed. I still have 12 points on my license and $170 extra in my bank account. I'm happy as Larry.

Who knows I might get out of this one like I got out of the unfair tram ticket fine 2 years ago which the tram inspector was judging based on law and not based on personal circumstances ?(saved me $200 on that one!) Verdict: I wrote letter, I won over the law based on personal circumstance! If it were you, you would have paid the $200 just because some fella wrote your name on a piece of paper wouldn't you?

Like Thorpey said earlier, kising a bit of but can save you a couple of hundred, and a few points.
I've gotten out of much more serious trouble just by kissing up... did you maybe give this cop a little bit of attitude before he wrote the ticket Rodimus?
Maybe it was just a nasty look?

Like Thorpey said earlier, kising a bit of but can save you a couple of hundred, and a few points.
I've gotten out of much more serious trouble just by kissing up... did you maybe give this cop a little bit of attitude before he wrote the ticket Rodimus?
Maybe it was just a nasty look?

No Vincenzo, I asked him "Is something wrong officer?" totally surprised he pulled me up. He said "You are driving on the right hand lane and not overtaking, can I see your license." Took it and went to his bike to write the ticket and quickly came back to hand it to me. He didn't even want to hear an explanation, looked like he was in a hurry to go, then I started to question him about the alleged offence.

"3) I was driving at 100 kmh at a 100kmh zone, if I must keep left to allow others to cross on the right, and there is nobody behind me for 500m, DOESNT THAT MEAN FOR YOU TO COME UP BEHIND ME MEANS YOU ARE SPEEDING OVERLIMIT, which is an OFFENCE?

If I am maintaining a speed over the limit in any lane then yes. "

Thanks for confirming that my view about the silliness of this law! So this is a law that makes it an offence to obstruct some other person who is committing another even more serious offence (Speeding)! THIS IS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD! Not for you guys to come in here to vent your other unresolved traffic anger at me and to call me names!!

Speeding by someone else and you driving in the right lane are two separate offences.

Why do you think that what you did should be legal because you 'think' you can potentially obstruct them from committing their offence (that's how I read it anyway) ?

Sorry, but I don't quite understand your reasoning.

I don't give them any of the "play innocent" routine, i'm guessing that cop had just heard that stuff too many times that day.

I agree that the "keep left unless overtaking" rule is trivial, especially when it's a divided fwy, with emergency lanes on both sides. But i don't know how you'd be able to win a case on this one?

Seriously this worked for me for many years. Now I kiss butt :(.

Yeah me too, although didn't realise it at the time. I was a do-gooder and was terrified at being pulled over when I was about 20. I told my boyfriend at the time what the police officer said and he told me, not only did he let me off, but he was flirting with me. Damn, too bad I was too young and naive to realise, always have liked men in uniform. ;)

You can be uncivilised and blunt towards me and that's why I'm blunt towards you in return, happy ? Look I know I got a fine. I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME "Oh you got fined, just accept it and deal with it". Like I said, If you got nothing of assistance for me to challenge this, then I don't need to hear you coming in telling me the obvious and calling me names.
Where did you ask for any assistance? Your original post was all about "how unfair", etc, etc, having a rant, with no questions about whether you may have any cause to contest the charge.

Lots of people telling me the cop must be having a slow day and extremely petty to book me for that matter, and telling me I can probably write a letter to challenge it. I guess you don't like people like us who fight to the end to solve a problem?

Yep. Probably petty, as this is a law that is not strictly enforced; but it's still a law. The fact that the cop on this day decided to enforce it - well, you lucked out.

they said "as long as you are not blocking someone behind you and you give way, what's the big deal?"
Ask them if it's ok to shoplift if no-one gets hurt and as long as you don't block the queue for paying customers.

Rodimus, I can see/understand your frustration at getting booked for this offence 'under the circumstances described', but it doesn't change the fact that it is the law (whether we agree with it or not) and you got caught.

Unlucky?...Yes, but lucky you haven't been pinged for this in the past perhaps. I'd probably be ******** off in your position as well, but as others have said, pay the fine, learn the lesson and move on until the next problem comes along.

Don't sweat it.

Regards
Marty

You guys are reading my story online and you think you can just come in and call me names like "knucklehead" and "stupid" and "*******" just for fun. I mean, some people in this forum just have no emotional sensitivity towards other posters, they think they can just come in with some smart statements and think they look so intelligent. Some people can be such uncivilised brutes and egomaniacs inside, and it shows from how they call other members names when they comment on topics which didnt even involve them!

How about you think about what you're calling people before using the word 'Nazi' half a dozen times? Many people find that offensive as well. Or was it ok for you to use it because you were upset at the time? :mad:

Unlucky?...Yes, but lucky you haven't been pinged for this in the past perhaps. I'd probably be ******** off in your position as well, but as others have said, pay the fine, learn the lesson and move on until the next problem comes along.

Yes, or just continue to rant and rave and join TheAnalyst because you were obviously both treated unfairly by the police right? :rolleyes:

How many minutes or kilometres were you in the RHL for?I think that MAY BE AN IMPORTANT POINT.

Rodimus
Some policeman are mentally challenged as you commented,this guy was certainly very pedantic .The best approach is to be as apologetic as possible( ie suckup ), repeat yourself several times with someone like this who holds the power.

Do you want to stick to your principles or not be fined,that is the question?

It also begs the question if your driving habits find you driving in the right hand side more frequently than you realize.

Any way you have done a public service to remind readers here.
I would be as upset as you.
You might write to the District superintendent Police and if you have a clean record there is a chance the fine may be waived , but I wouldn't go down the path of using terms like draconian.
By the way some Police are exceptionally good and most Police are reasonable given the high stress levels they face everyday.

Back