Mad Australian Police fined me for driving on right hand lane of freeway

I've been following this thread and find it almost too funny for words :D.........lost count of the number of times Rodimus has completely ignored people pointing out the "keep left unless overtaking" law in favour of his/her own interpretation of the road rules.............all I can add is "good on the copper"!!!

:cool:

I am dumbfounded by this thread. Not by the fact that Rodimus was fined doing the wrong thing. Not by the fact that everyone is in agreeance that he did the wrong thing. But by the fact that Rodimus keeps arguing the fact and won't take responsibility for doing wrong. :eek:

Seriously, not one of us here is perfect, whether it be driving skills or our personal life, and there are times when we do something wrong. Sometimes you will have full knowledge that you slipped up (or maybe did it on purpose) and other times you might be genuinely surprised that what you did was wrong at all.

I agree with some of the others here that you were unlucky to be caught, yes, the police officer was purhaps a bit overzealous, yes, I would be a little upset for getting fined too, but at the end of the day you DID do the wrong thing, so just pay the fine and get on with your life. Is it really worth all the stress?

but at the end of the day you DID do the wrong thing, so just pay the fine and get on with your life. Is it really worth all the stress?

Or start a campaign to have the law changed from "keep left unless overtaking" to "feel free to stay right, but continually check your mirror to see if anyone is approaching, then when they're 500m behind you, merge over at your leisure to let them pass." :rolleyes:

Try reading all of that sign driving past at 100kmph :D

request the fine be revoked based on the fact there is no specific legislation citing driving in the right hand lane is an indictable offence.
Sorry, Aaron, but it is, actually. ;) Road Rule 130, nationwide.

rodimus, I'm definitely seeing a trend in your posting history. I can recall you having gotten into problems with house construction (bricks), property management (date of tenant vacating, overlap with new tenant), and now road rules, and in each case come on SS ranting and raving, emotional and angry out of all proportion to the event. :eek: In every instance, the problem was due to you not understanding the regulations governing that domain, or feeling that what you wanted, or believed was commonsense or fair to you, should over-ride the law. Then you get hugely annoyed when the other party acts in accordance with the law, rather than your preference, and refuse to accept any responsibility for your ignorance (or choice, or role).

I seriously doubt that I'm going to get through to you - likely you'll just instead assume that we're all picking on you, and insult me too :rolleyes: - but I would suggest that if you listen and stop being defensive for a moment, you just might get something useful out of what I'm about to say. :)

It's your responsibility to be aware of your responsibilities, as a party to a contract, as a landlord, and as a driver. When you fail to fulfil your responsibilities, whether through ignorance or choice, there may be consequences. The sooner you accept responsibility for your own actions and their consequences, the better; for your career, for those around you, and for your own health.

Accepting consequences, "taking it on the chin" and learning from it, is a much cheaper and healthier option, long-term, than turning every consequence into a perceived injustice which you have to fight with so much emotional energy.

I'm not unsympathetic, because I have a big problem with injustice myself, and when I believe I'm in the right, I'll fight very hard for my corner. But I have come to realise, over time, that sometimes when I was younger and fought things, I wasn't actually totally innocent; I was just frustrated because I didn't think what was happening was fair.

I try, now, to cop consequences on the chin when I'm in the wrong (even if it's not fair), and when I'm in the right, I defend myself vigorously, but try not to get too emotional about it. Ultimately you can make yourself really sick getting so worked up about injustice. One of the marks of maturity is realising and accepting that life often isn't fair.

Last edited:
Turn it up.....me ol' mate ozperp is a dead set legend.
Aw shucks, thanks Dazz. It must be the wisdom we gained on our recent landmark birthdays. ;) :cool:

I'm feeling like a legend today, with four kudos in half-an-hour this morning! (And a fifth a couple of hours later - all for this most recent post.)

Now, back to real life, where I'm a Mum who doesn't know squat...

Ok, I need to rant and rave about the injustice done to me this morning, seeing as that seems to be the thing to do on this forum... I was speeding, I broke a law, pretty sure I got busted going by the big flash I saw in my mirror, however, how dare they!!! Absolutely ridiculous, why can't I do whatever I want? I didn't kill anyone and believe in my opinion I was driving safely, so why can't I speed as I see fit?

Obviously this is all in sarcasm. :p

This will be my first speeding offence in the 12 years I've been driving. :( Not sure how much over I was, I think it might have only been 10km in which case I'll apply for a warning. If that doesn't work, I'll accept I did the wrong thing and pay the fine (assuming it did in fact get me and not just the car behind me - I wish). I don't dislike speed cameras and I don't dislike parking inspectors, they all serve their purpose and if I do the wrong thing then I accept that.

If I was a cop I'd love to book everyone who doesn't keep left.

Don't you also hate those drivers who sit on 90 kph until the overtaking lane, then speed up to 105 kph in double lanes so you have to break the speed limit just to get around em?

See ya's.

Don't you also hate those drivers who sit on 90 kph until the overtaking lane, then speed up to 105 kph in double lanes so you have to break the speed limit just to get around em?
See ya's.

There is usually a reason for that, and it drives me batty too !

The single lane rd is usually so sad that people with a moderate confidence level cant drive to the limit.

Where the Overtaking lane is placed, the road conditions are usually better ..........and the have a higher level of confidence...........only they dont know that their speed varies so much

ta
rolf

Lots of people telling me the cop must be having a slow day and extremely petty to book me for that matter, and telling me I can probably write a letter to challenge it. I guess you don't like people like us who fight to the end to solve a problem?

there's an address to post your letter to challenge it at the back of the ticket (I think); but it were to be turned down, I wouldn't go to court for it.......

just wondering where did the police hide? was he just waiting to catch someone? hmmmm

How about you think about what you're calling people before using the word 'Nazi' half a dozen times? Many people find that offensive as well. Or was it ok for you to use it because you were upset at the time? :mad:

i think Rodimos used those labels at the policeman that he's angry at and who isn't reading this - but many forum members are using it directly at him for no good reason. That is the difference.
A little courtesy to the person you're talking to, people?

By the way when driving in the freeway everyday there are lots of drivers who keep right lane when they are not overtaking, so everybody does it. It is almost similar to jaywalking.

By the way when driving in the freeway everyday there are lots of drivers who keep right lane when they are not overtaking, so everybody does it.

Yes, that is the exact problem. I wish the cops would crack down on it!

As for the courtesy I do agree. Life is too short to be nasty - it's a bit like keeping left on the freeway - it's not hard to be courteous! :)

EVERYBODY DOES NOT DO IT.

Just those who don't give a s**t about the other guy, and also those who have no concept of traffic flow and how it works.

one small thing

its probably a victorian Highway patrol cop that did the booking.

Not some Federal Agent that was bored

So we should look at changing the thread to Mad Victorian Police.

ta
rolf

You can add "communist" too.

A friend of mine just sent me this photo. This is the memorial erected by survivors of Vietnamese communist persecution who made it to Galang refugee camp in Indonesia to commemorate their loved ones who perished during their journey to freedom.

So the Vietnamese government asked Indonesia to gouge out the words...

Only this hole is left...

Will never forgive them for this. They persecute even the dead.

Galang is the place where I spent months before being accepted into Australia. Almost half a million people died fleeing the communists back in the 70s and 80s.

ChieuHonTrenBienDong_07.JPG

I'm actually curious if any of the somersoft property investors have day jobs as police officers and want to weigh in. Though I'd respect if they'd rather keep their anonymity.

I read last week about a lady who was pulled over for travelling in the rightmost lane of a freeway.

She couldn't figure out why all the other cars were travelling in the wrong direction.

Back