Netflix

No pricing yet, but iiNet & Ftech TV have announced partnerships with Netflix to strem it in Australia from March 24th.

Also, iiNet will stream it un-metered!

As has been said though, it won't have the same content as the USA version but could be an easy route in if you don't want to mess about with geo blocking etc.

http://www.iinet.net.au/netflix/

Thanks Prop
I just feel I should stick to the US Netflix as what has been mentioned would be the better option.
I have already got someone who can set it up for me

Just not sure how much gig will be required per month, I am a TV/series/movie junkie.

MTR:)

Thanks Prop
I just feel I should stick to the US Netflix as what has been mentioned would be the better option.

Just not sure how much gig will be required per month, I am a TV/series/movie junkie.

Yeah, same here.

Although, if it's cheap enough (doubtful) and you can get un-metered Australian Netflix through your own ISP by the time it launches then it may work out cheaper to have both Aus & USA Netflix rather than upgrade to a bigger data allowance just for the USA one. I guess a fair chunk of content will be available in the Aussie one, it'll be the newer stuff I'd guess that'll be stitched up.

Thanks Prop

About 300 to 400 gig. We use 300 gig with medium use.

Yeah, same here.

Although, if it's cheap enough (doubtful) and you can get un-metered Australian Netflix through your own ISP by the time it launches then it may work out cheaper to have both Aus & USA Netflix rather than upgrade to a bigger data allowance just for the USA one. I guess a fair chunk of content will be available in the Aussie one, it'll be the newer stuff I'd guess that'll be stitched up.

Options, options, options.... I am pretty glad foxtel is getting stitched up, having a monopoly is not good for consumers

This was going to be my question. How much bandwidth does netflix actually use.

My wife watches a fair bit of TV and she will be the biggest stumbling block to us going Netflix USA If we run out of bandwidth she will want to go back to foxtel in a flash.
Cheers

Unmetered content (as mentioned via IInet, and rumoured via optus too.) will help.

What's that, around 400 tv series or 80 movies for the month? :D

I can't remember, we did go pretty hard in the first month, though.

About 300 to 400 gig. We use 300 gig with medium use.

There is an option to stream HD or SD content. I am only watching on a smallish TV, so after maxing out my data limit I switched to SD and haven't been capped since.

I don't notice any loss of quality, but that may be because it's only 32 inches.

This was going to be my question. How much bandwidth does netflix actually use.

Hi Andy, I have a 400gb limit with Internode (about $90 a month) and have a lot of trouble getting through that. I d/l a lot of stuff via magical *cough* not legal *cough* means. Unless your wife is watching a ridiculous amount of stuff, it shouldn't be an issue.

This is big guys!!! It is great if you have Optus internet already!

US streaming juggernaut Netflix is intensifying its push into the Australian market, sealing a deal with the country's second-biggest telecommunications company, Optus.

The agreement comes as Netflix prepares to launch in Australia on March 24, and involves a free six-month subscription to new and renewing Optus customers on certain broadband and mobile plans.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/netflix-and-optus-seal-streaming-deal-20150311-140lqo.html

I am with Optus, however it is the Australian version on Netflix

Don't be too discouraged by the naysayers. It won't be as limited as they say. I've been on both Canadian and US netflix. US apparently has 3x as many titles. I didn't notice much difference.

I just signed up for US Netflix using Getflix.com.au, it was super easy. Getflix has very comprehensive instructions on its website for changing DNS settings and for signing up to Netflix, including what zip codes to use etc.

Worked without a hitch... House of Cards here I come :D

I just signed up for US Netflix using Getflix.com.au, it was super easy. Getflix has very comprehensive instructions on its website for changing DNS settings and for signing up to Netflix, including what zip codes to use etc.

Worked without a hitch... House of Cards here I come :D

Wonderful, can you set me up:) gig required??

MTR I'm no computer 'geek' and if I managed to do it, anyone can. You go to the getflix website, sign up with them (free trial). Then look at the Setup tab, it explains how to configure the device you want to watch netflix on.

You have two ways to set it up, with instructions for each:

1. You could configure your router which would unblock every device connected to your home network (multiple computers, tablets, ipads etc).

2. Or you can configure just the device you'll be watching netflix on (your computer, or your tv via Apple TV, WDTV Live, Xbox etc). This is what I did as my router doesn't let me change the settings. I have a WDTV Live box, so that's what I configured.

Then you sign up for Netflix and you're done.

I'm going to assume you'll go with option 2 - so you need a 'box' of some kind to watch netflix, as per the link

https://www.netflix.com/watch

Do you have one/what kind?

OK, just got an email from FetchTV (iiNet).

$8.99 per month for access on one screen, standard definition, un-metered through iiNet.

I've signed up as you get a free one month. I'm not at home, so can't comment on quaity etc as yet, but I just had a quick run through of the shows we regularly watch on USA Netflix and the recent movies we've watched, (all going from memory). Most of what we watch is not available on Aus Netflix as yet.

I can't check my full history until I'm back home behind my VPN, but I'll update this later when I can do a full cross check of when we have been watching. At the moment, through, the below is a list of what I can remember we've watched lately on USA Netflix and whether it's on Australian Netflix (or not, or limited seasons).

On USA - NOT on AUS

No Walking Dead (4 seasons on USA)
No Always Sunny in Philadelphia (10 Seasons on USA)
No Maron (2 seasons on USA)
No Weeds (Cant remember how many season on USA)
No The Following (2 seasons I think on USA)
No Mountain Men
No Everest

On Both (less seasons on Aus)

2 Seasons of The Killing (USA has 4 seasons)

Same On Both

Luther - same on both (3 seasons)

Movies On USA NOT on AUS

No Snowpiercer
No Taxi Driver
No Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
No Mud
No Rage (Nicholas Cage)
No Django Unchained
Ni Hunger Games (Catching Fire)
No Pulp Fiction

There's only 2 Schwarzenegger movies on Netflix Aus, (heaps on the USA Netflix)
No Bond Movies, (USA has a few)

Movies - On BOTH

Robocop (2014)
Stop At Nothing (Lance Armstrong)

Just random ones from memory, I'll have a proper look over the coming days but I think I'll be canceling after my free month and sticking with the USA one based on what I've seen so far.

Back