Qld Election

So, the QLD public were sick of Labor and voted them out, then after 1 year of having to cop some hard decisions and a Premier who isn't inclined to suffer fools and/or take prisoners, we want to go running back to the previous idiots? :rolleyes:

it's that kind of attitude that gets libs out of office. you can spit on the community and it will wipe it off, but if the community spits on you - you will drown. newman just drowned.

it's that kind of attitude that gets libs out of office. you can spit on the community and it will wipe it off, but if the community spits on you - you will drown. newman just drowned.

Well thats just plain old dumb stupid.

Letting Labor spit on you is ok eh?

Like I said, the contrainess is astounding.:rolleyes:

what a sore losers lib supporters are. instead of reflecting on how their party managed to lose the enormous support they had at the last election in such a short time, they blame people who "don't vote as they should" :rolleyes:

what a sore losers lib supporters are. instead of reflecting on how their party managed to lose the enormous support they had at the last election in such a short time, they blame people who "don't vote as they should" :rolleyes:

Yeah, as if that is somehow a unique trait of liberal supporters. :rolleyes:

Yeah, as if that is somehow a unique trait of liberal supporters. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, not that there were any sore losers in 2012 from Labor?

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76755&highlight=2012+election&page=5 :eek:

I would say its a natural human reaction moreso than a <insert any party here> trait.

What's done is done. Move on and let Mrs. Pluwhateverhernameis get on with it. Lets see what she does in her first 100 days (if she manages to get that far).

pinkboy

Labor apparently wont change the anti-bikie laws (ie anti-anyone they choose to call a bikie) until there is some new enquiry. The last enquiry (court challenge) just rubber-stamped the govt's law. If you don't know how draconian it is, check it out. Blatantly discriminatory, includes measures to jail ppl for years without a trial, and to arrest their associates. Anyone can be an "associate". The general public just doesn't care because they believe that it only targets big bad bikies (but not other types of drug dealers)

Did the Attorney Gen lose his seat? The media has been quiet on that one as far as I can tell.

They lost my vote due to the inroads made on civil liberties. I know the Dazzes of the world would say it was mambypamby lefties etc but for anyone who didn't grow up under the Joh regime it probably is hard to imagine. Campbell and his crew were heading down the same path in their own way.

Tough on bikers? Guess what- there were already sufficient laws to deal with them. It seems part of the problem was a failure to fund police adequately to deal with the problem. More of your typical "law and order" campaign like Joh used to run.

Last night the Truss bloke was railing off against the idiocy of the electorate. That sort of thinking implies a "born to rule" mentality and associated arrogance that Campbell and his cohorts also exhibited.

Having said that not much to inspire confidence on display with Qld ALP either.

Great post.

For an outsider, what it says to me is you can't mislead (lie to) the electorate or you will be punished. And you can't treat the electorate with contempt.

Tony should take note, although it's probably already too late for him.

On days like this, gee I miss Dazz.

Great post.

For an outsider, what it says to me is you can't mislead (lie to) the electorate or you will be punished. And you can't treat the electorate with contempt.

Tony should take note, although it's probably already too late for him.

On days like this, gee I miss Dazz.
Unfortunately, much of what the voting public make noise about is their "me, me, me, hip pocket" mindset.

This is why many a Leader stops listening to the spoilt kid who always wants a lollie.

When are we as a Nation going to get it? - if the economy is stuffed, and needs some serious surgery, then we need to grow up and let them get on with it - no matter how hard it might be in the short term for MOI.

Labor spent a lot of money, accumulated tons of debt - which is going to take years and years to pay down, and the Public don't want to change anything lest it affects their hip-pocket.

So what if the Leaders are a bit arrogant or aloof, or not on the teev giving us hourly updates?

As long as they do the job we asked them to do - over their full-term in which to do it - we should all frackin shut up and let them do it.

Oh yes, not that there were any sore losers in 2012 from Labor?

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76755&highlight=2012+election&page=5 :eek:

I would say its a natural human reaction moreso than a <insert any party here> trait.

What's done is done. Move on and let Mrs. Pluwhateverhernameis get on with it. Lets see what she does in her first 100 days (if she manages to get that far).

pinkboy

i'm not quite sure who you refer to as a sore loser in that link. both sunfish and ideo seem reasonable

it's quite different from the scaremongering posts of BW for example, calling people stupid because they didn't vote how he wanted.

When are we as a Nation going to get it? - if the economy is stuffed, and needs some serious surgery, then we need to grow up and let them get on with it - no matter how hard it might be in the short term for MOI.

The lesson here is you treat the electorate like adults. You don't tell them, for example, the night before the election that there will be "no cuts to education, no cuts to health, etc etc", then go and do exactly the opposite.

And you have to make the cuts in a manner that doesn't divide, like Howard (sort of) did. Abbott is an ideologue who is continuing to spend on hobby horses (school chaplains etc) and cutting stuff he feels we don't need, like science (!).

So what if the Leaders are a bit arrogant or aloof, or not on the teev giving us hourly updates?

You can't treat the electorate with contempt, and that's what 'Can-do' did. They won't cop it.

The lesson here is you treat the electorate like adults. You don't tell them, for example, the night before the election that there will be "no cuts to education, no cuts to health, etc etc", then go and do exactly the opposite.

And you have to make the cuts in a manner that doesn't divide, like Howard (sort of) did. Abbott is an ideologue who is continuing to spend on hobby horses (school chaplains etc) and cutting stuff he feels we don't need, like science (!).

You can't treat the electorate with contempt, and that's what 'Can-do' did. They won't cop it.
I guess we will all have to wait until the next election to see the results of their work.

Whether they are popular or not for that duration doesn't matter, really. They can be as caustic as hell and still run the Country very well.

The media like to blow up that side of things (popularity), but in the end; unless the Party themselves are concerned - and why would they be; a Poll means nothing until Election time - then all they have to do is keep on improving the Country, and when the Election campaign begins (the business end of the deal) then they can trot out all the improvements they've achieved and the sooky public will quickly change their tune...they always do.

The sad reality is that if the Opposition want to win power on the back of a pathetic performance by the Incumbent (Federal Labor for last 6 years before TA), they have to make some very optimistic promises and plans to sound better than the Incumbent.

What they really should all say is; "Look; the Country is in a very bad way, and we need to make some really, really tough decisions to get us out of the hole this current Government has put us in, and none of you are going to like it. But vote for us anyway!!"

Howe do ya reckon they'd go with that statement?

Just watch; Bill Shorten will have to do the same if he wants to win (assuming the Libs have done a cr@p job of running the Country by then).

I do agree though; they should all grow a backbone and say they cannot give us lollies if they can't give us lollies; just say it how it is and stick to that.

Do you think for one second Labor will be any different,Qld is not going gangbusters as it was ,and any idiot can look intelligent ..

Do you think for one second Labor will be any different,Qld is not going gangbusters as it was ,and any idiot can look intelligent ..

It's not a Labor / Liberal thing.

Hopefully they learn from Can-Do's smug, arrogant, attitude. If they don't they won't last long either.

The sad reality is that if the Opposition want to win power on the back of a pathetic performance by the Incumbent (Federal Labor for last 6 years before TA), they have to make some very optimistic promises and plans to sound better than the Incumbent.

I disagree to a point. If the government is doing a good job, it doesn't matter what the opposition says. Governments lose elections, oppositions don't win them, generally.

What they really should all say is; "Look; the Country is in a very bad way, and we need to make some really, really tough decisions to get us out of the hole this current Government has put us in, and none of you are going to like it. But vote for us anyway!!"

Howe do ya reckon they'd go with that statement?

Just watch; Bill Shorten will have to do the same if he wants to win (assuming the Libs have done a cr@p job of running the Country by then).

I think that type of opposition campaigning (the Abbott model) will have to change, because the electorate won't stand for broken promises. Look at Gillard, Can-Do and the predicament the Abbott government is in.

It's not a Labor / Liberal thing.

Hopefully they learn from Can-Do's smug, arrogant, attitude. If they don't they won't last long either.

Maybe a lot of people did not see or notice,when the new leader of Qld was giving her winning speeches,the high end union people standing in the background and walking past with big smiles on their faces,no different from comparing well kept zoo animals to those in the bush wilderness..

Back