Recs for property in Perth

well it's hardly upper class and it's still just a decent professional salary. I have various friends that bring in a family incomes ranging between $400k and $600k and they struggle and have to work hard, could only describe them as middle class too

I bought a couple beers at the bar the other night. I gave the bartender a $50 and he gave me back a few coins :)

I wasn't ripped off. My mate from Perth said that's Perth prices. :)

Don't venture further up north then to Karratha etc, especially the airports, they'll take your watch or your arm along with the $50

no... Applecross is an anomaly as it is outside of the 'golden triangle' that forms the western suburbs and because of its secondary nature it was one of the hardest hit in the GFC, not that the others fared too much better. nice views of the city.

so highly desirable is Subiaco west across to Floreat, south to Swanbourne/Cottesloe/Mosman Park, then across Claremont, Dalkieth, Nedlands, Crawley

Middle class would be more your Attadale, Melville, Vic Park, Leeming, Carine

gets pretty rough the further out you head,with the exception of new suburbs

Subiaco is only popular because of proximity to the city but it doesn't really compare in terms of highly desirable to the others you mentioned.

Don't know that Melville, Vic Park, Leeming or Carine would qualify as middle class. Vic Park is popular for the same reasons as Subiaco, only it's rougher.

Most of the suburbs west of Subiaco up to about City Beach and south to Mosman Park are all above middle class for those that have proper houses.

Visited Subiaco and its teeny-weeny market :)
I think it's like Newtown.

Perth is growing on me. I like 'a little bit of everything within driving distance' part of it.

A townhouse in east perth was advertised for 950k. An agent was putting out the sign for the open. I walked past but didn't go in as I didn't have the time.
I saw an apartment building on Lord street, where apparently 2 bedders are selling for 300k.
On the flip side saw multi-million dollar houses near Hillary's beach (by near I mean anywhere from a couple hundred metres to a 10-min drive away).
For Hillary's - I think Cottisloe would be better for the train and proximity to the city, if the price is about the same. Hillary's does have a more spacious, grand and quiet feel, yes, I give it that.
Rossmoyne/Bulls Creek - a friend told me these were the chatswood/mosman
types of suburbs. I didn't get to see them in the end.

(Un)fortunately will not get to see the lower socio-economic sections of Perth this time round.

On the minus side, public transport in Perth sucks even more than in Sydney. I hadn't thought that was possible. If you live here, unless you live/work/play almost exclusively in the Perth CBD, you really. need. a. car.

We are currently building a $950k house in Canningvale.

Definitely desirable to people as the houses next to it appear to be of a similar size/spec.

950 k in construction cost??? Good luck trying to get their money back if they ever decide to sell

Yep.

Knowing the clients, I don't think it is about the end worth. Obviously like the area and want their dream home there.

Not my cup of tea as far as areas go, but not the first time I have been involved in a home with a construction cost close to $1m in the area.

Being Indian I naturally know a few people who live in canning vale and surrounds, I understand to each their own and all that but building a dream $1.5m or so home in an area like that is insane imo.

If that sor area is what someone is looking for you'd get nice properties in everywhere from attadale to winthrop, booragoon, even close to the river in Mt pleasant or Salter point etc, all suburbs much better located, with better transport links and better local amenity.

Eg this, keep in mind nothing is selling for asking price in Mt pleasant atm http://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-mount pleasant-118449031

I couldn't agree more, but when people have money and likely spent their entire working lives in a suburb, they don't care about the end value.

A lot of our clients pay cash (no finance) on our builds, and our median build price is around the $1m mark. Pretty even spread of jobs on the go from Singleton/Yunderup, north to Yanchep and east to Kalamunda/Swan Valley.

I notice most of the time they are building down the road from their current address.

Being Indian I naturally know a few people who live in canning vale and surrounds, I understand to each their own and all that but building a dream $1.5m or so home in an area like that is insane imo.

If that sor area is what someone is looking for you'd get nice properties in everywhere from attadale to winthrop, booragoon, even close to the river in Mt pleasant or Salter point etc, all suburbs much better located, with better transport links and better local amenity.

Eg this, keep in mind nothing is selling for asking price in Mt pleasant atm http://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-mount pleasant-118449031

Nice house, Sanj. Wouldn't mind living in Mt Pleasant :) I can only dream though....since we are not even in middle class according to recent definition on this thread :p:p

We rented in Canning Vale for 1 and half years, but decided against buying there. There are some nice streets with lovely houses. But I hated the traffic lights along South St to get to Canning Vale, plus the public high school there was quite underwhelming. Probably much better now...but don't recall seeing Canning Vale College in the WACE league tables.

Last edited:
A quick browse around Livingstone shopping centre would give one an idea of what Canning Vale is like. Deadbeat Central.

I think deadbeat is a bit harsh, there are lots of decent families in the area, I just think it's badly located a d you're constantly having it sprawl further and further so competing with newer homes

All suburbs have their ups and downs, I don't really agree with bagging any of them. I live in a less than desirable suburb, but I worked hard to buy it and have a lot of pride in the way I maintain it.

Plus I would rather have a beer with a humble home owner than a single malt scotch with a pretentious ******.

We are currently building a $950k house in Canningvale.

Definitely desirable to people as the houses next to it appear to be of a similar size/spec.

That is insane but good on them if this is their dream, they probably never sell and just love the area.

..... but in the main I would expect that even Mr and Mrs Average would look at end values of an area to ensure that it does makes sense.

What if this happens....

I was just listening the Gavin Hegney last week on radio and he mentioned that they view/value 100 properties per week where it involves marriage break up.... :eek: I was gobsmacked....

That's a definite risk.

A friend bought a widely over capitalized property in darch about a year ago, owner and his wife spent atat a guess 900k on the house plus land etc and they only got 950 for the sale and even that was a bit high imo.

Would have lost a huge amount

Back