So, just how "fit" are you?

Hey turk - which tri?

I used to be ironman fit - did two of the things, now do more adventure racing. Perpetually feel unfit though due to the people I hang around (sub 3 hr marathoners, intl level adventure racers). Even after a severe lack of training lately I can still knock out a decent 10k up Mt Taylor and back, or do a nice 4 hour hit out on the mtb down the snowy's. I do PT for a couple of people, coach a few triathletes and adventure racers - can do what most of them can do just a lot slower (low training age).

It all comes down to who you hang around with.

Tiger - sounds like you've got good anaerobic capacity just lacking in aerobic capacity (good explosive/sprint, crap long distance)

Hi Mooze

Was the Bussleton Ironman, first year back racing after 5 years off, unfortunately lost a bet with a mate.

It was good fun but endurance levels not where they need to be so raced
conservatively.

Cheers

Peter

so what do your recommend for those of us who are not fit?

walk?

aerobics?

weights?

right now i wouldnt mind getting more SLEEP actually.

francine.

Shockingly, dismally unfit. Although not so bad as a few months back. I may have lost 22kg but what's left of me is far too wibbly wobbly.

The more muscle your body has, the faster it will burn fat.

My point is that a lot of people who think they need to do more cardio, would be better served doing more weights.

From K-mart, I got myself two packs of wrist/ankle weights... they weigh 1kg each and are comfortable enough to wear around the house. They felt a bit weird at first but then you get used to them.

I think your brother was a bit rough on you for your first day! You need to ease into it.

He did say to me "work at your own pace, and if you need to stop, then stop".

But of course, I am an over-achieving aquarian male, with a little brother who I have to compete with, so I went hammer and tong as you'd expect.

Idiot.

Needless to say, the next 2 days I could hardly move, and now it's Thursday and I'm still in mild pain.

But, it has inspired me to do a bit more, so yesterday I went for a ride up Arthur's Seat road, did a few weights. It all killed.

Today, went for a 30 min run on the beach at Dromana before work.

He was cruel to be kind?

I sent him a text on Tues - the day after the workout - to say I was sueing him for pain and suffering. I don't think he has stopped laughing yet.

...they say drinking a glass of red wine is like walking for 3 kms....

I know what I'd prefer to do....drink 3 glasses per night :D

hey Mooze. What can you recomend to buildup aerobic energy. Got the same problem as Tiger. Can play sports for hours, am really quick to recover but can't run/jog/swim long distances over extended times without a quick break at regular and short time intervals.

I love camping, bush walking, canoeing.
But at home I have perfected the double click on the mouse whilst weight lifting a glass of Champus with the left hand.:D

hey Mooze. What can you recomend to buildup aerobic energy. Got the same problem as Tiger. Can play sports for hours, am really quick to recover but can't run/jog/swim long distances over extended times without a quick break at regular and short time intervals.

Slow and steady build up. Consistency and persistence. Don't over do it, build by approx 10% per week. Many programs available on the web - if you want something a bit more specific PM me. To give you an idea, I currently run for 20minutes everday (minimum) no matter what (also helps give the endorphin fix) - easy way to maintain base fitness - and its easier to climb everest from Base camp than from sea level.

If in doubt get in touch with your local cross country club, cycling club or swim club - these are great - they provide motivation, and often run programs for adults wanting to increase their fitness but unsure about where they stand with it all. Triathlon clubs are another good one - you get all sorts there for the beginners courses and throughout the season- those have done olympic level other sports to the guys/gals who have decided its time to get off the couch that morning.

If you do go to a club the other thing is to remember - no one was ever able to run a marathon, half marathon, 10kmer or even 5kmer the first time they tried. It takes practice and training. Everyone started from zero at some point.

Well, I am fitter than I thought I was.

Thought I had got a little unfit last 18 months, then had an opportunity to visit, see, scuba dive, climb, walk...etc the East Coast of Australia.

A lot of swimming, scuba diving, walking, walking everywhere...cities, towns, through Parks, up quite a few mountains, took on the sand hills of Moreton Island...(and a few other places :) ).

I did fine.

Genetically, been blessed with an exceptional aerobic/anaerobic sytem, always been a good runner, then discovered interval training, applied that to my training, plus a reasonably determined type of personality, and it's won me a few races, helped set a few regional records.

Played league hockey for years, skipped a few, but hope to at least train with them this coming season, perhaps get a few games again, all time/committments permitting.

Was pleasantly surprised my level of fitness, especially when it came to the resistance exercise. Plus still noted I have a relatively slow heart rate, around the 56 bpm.

My brother is a personal trainer. Has been for over 10 years. Has his own studio. He's a very impressive specimen and so is his wife - they both run the business.

He keeps saying; "when are ya gunna come and do a workout with me you fat old b@stard?"

I am 47 and he is 36, and I have been in relatively good shape my whole life. Lacking a bit of motivation these days in this friggin cr@p Melb weather. Don't talk about NZ as the land of the long white cloud.

So, I consider myself to be not too bad fitness wise - could go out and do a 5k run no probs right now, or do 100 pushups (not all in one set) and so on. I ride up the Arthur's Seat road every other week; takes me about 25 mins to get up the top and it's hard work.

So anyway, yesterday I had nothing to do, so I give the brother a call and tee-up a workout at 12.00pm.

Well, it was a 75 min program of nothing but uphill sprints, different load-bearing exercises using body weight and the odd medicine ball drill, a few step ups and so on.

I thought it looked a bit of a lame program to be honest. HA, HA - idiot.

By the 65th minute I was at the point of nausea, and my brother was cruising along. He admitted he was puffing a bit not having done much over the last week and giving the fermentations a nudge, but he was leaving me for dead.

I never felt so unfit in my life. A real wake-up call for anyone who thinks they are fit. Today I feel like a car accident victim.

At least I can kick his @rse at golf. :D

I'm absolutely stuffed after just ready your post. I was going to type a more in depth reply but I don't seem to be able to muster the energy

75 minutes - Just cruel!..or maybe if your really stubborn just what you needed. I would keep up what your doing for another month then have another session with him.

I really enjoyed it even though it was tough work.

The best thing is seeing the dramatic drop-off in my fitness; especially when I thought I was reasonable, has spurred me into serious action again.

I don't want to hit 50 looking like most men that age in the western world.

Just another of those 90/10, anti-sheeple things that drive me on through life.

I really enjoyed it even though it was tough work.

The best thing is seeing the dramatic drop-off in my fitness; especially when I thought I was reasonable, has spurred me into serious action again.

I don't want to hit 50 looking like most men that age in the western world.

Just another of those 90/10, anti-sheeple things that drive me on through life.

BayView

Way to go.

Keeping fit is not all that hard as long as you are consistent with your training
and make it part of your daily routine, allow it to become a habit not a chore.

Cheers

Pete

Back